VOIP & screen-freezing problems

Date and time (provide timezone): 

N/A

Character name

Jonny Chang

Issue/bug you are reporting: 

VOIP not working, and/or game freezing when VOIP does work

Evidence, notes worth mentioning, steps to replicate

For months I had an issue where I could not hear anyone in game at all, I spoke with Osvaldon about this & then eventually got it working by uninstalling & reinstalling my microphone from device manager and by making sure I start the game with a mic plugged in (or headphones plugged into the mic socket) - I can now hear people over VOIP without fail as long as I do this.

Since getting this working though, I now get game freezes frequently, every 5-30 seconds my screen will freeze for a few seconds, both the chat overlay & GTA itself. When I unplug my mic and restart, killing VOIP in the process so I can't hear anyone, the freezing stops completely so it seems like they're directly related. At least 1 other person has had this problem, can't find the post or who it was but someone on the discord helpdesk said they have the exact same issue with their USB headset.

I've been trying for so long to get back into ECRP but finding it hard with these problems. Anyone else had this or know of a fix? Surely not everyone with working VOIP also has freezing?

Edited by DaleGribble
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 8/8/2018 at 8:21 PM, DaleGribble said:

N/A

Character name

Jonny Chang

For months I had an issue where I could not hear anyone in game at all, I spoke with Osvaldon about this & then eventually got it working by uninstalling & reinstalling my microphone from device manager and by making sure I start the game with a mic plugged in (or headphones plugged into the mic socket) - I can now hear people over VOIP without fail as long as I do this.

Since getting this working though, I now get game freezes frequently, every 5-30 seconds my screen will freeze for a few seconds, both the chat overlay & GTA itself. When I unplug my mic and restart, killing VOIP in the process so I can't hear anyone, the freezing stops completely so it seems like they're directly related. At least 1 other person has had this problem, can't find the post or who it was but someone on the discord helpdesk said they have the exact same issue with their USB headset.

I've been trying for so long to get back into ECRP but finding it hard with these problems. Anyone else had this or know of a fix? Surely not everyone with working VOIP also has freezing?

I think it's a conflict with your microphone. Do you run Rage MP as admin? Also try a different microphone if you have one handy just to attempt it?

VOIP puts more workload on your CPU if I am not mistaken. If nobody is talking over VOIP my CPU usage is 80-90%, if someone is talking my CPU goes up to 100% usage, and sometimes my FPS goes down from 70-90 to 50-60 when my CPU reaches 100%. I tested it with MSI afterburner.

My CPU is i7 4790K (Non OC'ed), EVGA GTX 1070 FTW GPU, and 32GB of RAM, my FPS is a bit low for my specs because I play on 2K 165Hz monitor.

What is your system specs ?

Edited by uriel250
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, uriel250 said:

VOIP puts more workload on your CPU if I am not mistaken. If nobody is talking over VOIP my CPU usage is 80-90%, if someone is talking my CPU goes up to 100% usage, and sometimes my FPS goes down from 70-90 to 50-60 when my CPU reaches 100%. I tested it with MSI afterburner.

My CPU is i7 4790K (Non OC'ed), EVGA GTX 1070 FTW GPU, and 32GB of RAM, my FPS is a bit low for my specs because I play on 2K 165Hz monitor.

What is your system specs ?

You might be onto something here. I have an i5 4690, Gtx 970. I use low graphics settings and I typically get around 100 FPS, but I don't think I've ever monitored the CPU usage when using VoIP. When Im at home I'll see what the CPU usage is like when VoIP works.

1 hour ago, DaleGribble said:

You might be onto something here. I have an i5 4690, Gtx 970. I use low graphics settings and I typically get around 100 FPS, but I don't think I've ever monitored the CPU usage when using VoIP. When Im at home I'll see what the CPU usage is like when VoIP works.

Okay, update when you're done.

@NobodyLTU

I have the exact same issue. I was told by Osvaldon to tag you as you might be more likely to help me.

Whenever I disable my MICROPHONE and not my speakers, the freezing issue stops, but for some reason, I can't hear anybody, regardless of whether they are using normal voice chat or the radio; however, I can hear the music playing in my car, gunshots, and every other thing.

The game has basically become unplayable for me and it's really inconvenient. 

Well today i made in game report about same issue, moderator told me to post in forum about this problem because he never heard about this issue from anyone. Just so you know, there is more people with this problem.

So okay, i have 2 laptops. One is weak and other one is good. When i run game on my weak laptop, Voip works okay, got no freezing, just game is laggy because laptop is weak (12gb ram, gtx 940mx, i5-7200u).

And if i run game on my gaming laptop, whenever Voip is working got lagg spikes, and most of the time im loosing connection to server.. If i kill my Voip, game works perfectly 100fps+ with no freezing. (8gb ram, gtx 1060, i5-7300HQ).

Maybe my reply will help you also. 

I've been looking into this for another guy and think his is related to a networking issue(college internet). He's going to try it with another computer to see if it's the same result. I'll update this once I know more.

From what I gathered about it, cef typically only uses a lot of CPU when loading too much(like scripts/images/data/etc) via the connection. For this to only be an issue for a select few rather than everyone, I believe cpu usage is high from loading corrupted/partial data that's being lost/blocked along the way. This could be from the ports used to transmit voip being blocked by a network device perhaps.

*Finding the common denominator between everyone is the key here. If everyone having VOIP issues is on college(or some other controlled) network, then perhaps a port rework might fix it? If not perhaps a general security measure is tampering with it such as antivirus or firewalls.

Of course I can be completely off on all of this. I'm no expert, it's been 4 years since I was doing any kind of network architecture and 6 years since actually configuring/troubleshooting devices for large networks.

**Update

After long hours of hardware, antivirus, firewall, sound setting, browser setting, and other software setting adjustments, the issue still remains for the player I'm trying to help. 

**Update 2

Still narrowing down the issue after bouncing a question off of Harmdone. 

Once a few more things are attempted, I'll update this again.

**Update 3

After trying multitudes of troubleshooting there's been no success. I'll list some common ones other people can try but they didn't work in the case of the other player I was trying to help.

Disable SIP ALGI on router - varies router to router on how to.

Reconfigure DNS - Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center -> Click on the router you are connected to and click properties. Find Internet Protocol V4 and click properties
Change the DNS server addresses on your router to use the Google DNS servers located at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Allow Apps to access microphone - Under the Windows 10 Settings/Privacy/Microphone: Check the Allow apps to access my microphone (default is unchecked)

Using standard audio jack ports on motherboard instead of USB (or just having stuff plugged into both)

Disabling DVR - Settings->Gaming->Game DVR, turn off background recording.

Ensure antivirus and firewall permit traffic for both GTA5 and ragemp.

Ensure JavaScripts aren't being blocked

Ensure proper audio devices are configured in Steam Settings out of game.

Ensure IPV6 is enabled

**Update 4

These are the things I'm still currently looking into as possible causes:

NAT issues in conjunction with webrtc data transmission 

Audio Codec issues

Permission issues between drivers/software in conjunction with webrtc

Edited by Wifye
Updated info again
  • Like 1

Since it's been almost a week since the last post, I've only found out that webrtc likes to only use input 1 and 2 by default, same with outputs. Granted that info was about 6 months old so I don't know if it's true.

What I did find was a github that has .js for selecting different devices for input and output.

I'm fairly sure the devs have seen this but ill post it still to be sure:

https://github.com/webrtc/samples/tree/gh-pages/src/content/devices/input-output

I'm not sure if this could lead to a fix but I hope it might.

**Update

Tested this with the player I've been trying to help and had no success. He's able to select the correct input and output devices in webrtc but still does not work. The same issue as in game persist of no audio.

After reading more it appears very little device makers have webrtc support. Logitech and Kingston don't seem to where plantronics states that they do. I've also read up on numerous instances on chromium forums about webrtc where many devices seem to have issues as well. Guess we're back to square one on this one.

Edited by Wifye
Typos and update

On 8/8/2018 at 9:21 PM, DaleGribble said:

N/A

Character name

Jonny Chang

Dude I have a 1080 ti playing at 1440p at 144hz .. When I use VOIP the FPS drops for example from 120 fps down to 30 fps but the cpu usage stays the same.

GPU usage drops really hard from like 80-100% usage down to 30% or lower but only when using VOIP.

I noticed when the VOIP is down the game doesn't stutter when VOIP is back on working the game stutters when I talk and when people talking.

I tried GTA V single player no stutters even on the Official Online it doesn't stutter not even 1 time.

The problem is with VOIP ( holding down VOIP for a long time ) Or when people talking.