DjBricheta

Adding Fake IDs

Hi there guys, I was thinking the other day about having a process of acquiring a fake ID and I decided to post a suggestion about this, to see what you think.
Bear in mind, I don't have an actual idea of how hard this would be to implement, if possible at all.

Purpose
The idea behind it was to enhance a bit the criminal RP side of the server. Whenever a criminal wants to do something without revealing his actual identity, or whenever he wants to lay low, they can resort to this. This will be helpful in the situations where you have a warrant out for your arrest, for example

Acquiring a fake ID
In order to acquire a fake ID, someone would have to talk with one of the existing NPCs where one would have the option of getting a fake ID or a fake ID and a fake gun license. For the ID you would be prompted with a name, and for the gun license you would get it for 2 generic guns, so to say.
Fake ID
The name chosen for the fake ID must not belong to someone else already (no identity theft, yet).
Fake gun license

This would be only for showing another person/officer that you own a gun license, and it would not allow you to buy a gun legally from the stores by having it.

How would it work?
General things

Upon acquiring a fake ID, all the aliases of that person should be removed (this is not necessary, but would be helpful to prevent meta-gaming).
The person could show his fake license to someone else using a command like /showfakelicense
MDC
If a LEO would try to run the name that comes up through the MDC, they would be presented with a message that 'A person with that name doesn't exist', somewhat close to what happens now to vehicles bought from Scrapyard.
Figuring out the real identity
For this I have 2 things in mind.
Firstly, the people that have a fake license and want to roleplay that they don't have their real one of them would have to RP hiding it and be able to provide proof of that RP with /time.
Secondly, to further enhance the RP, maybe fingerprints can be taken off the person in an attempt to search them in the fingerprint database.
Losing your fake licenses
If at any point while someone is carrying a fake license, a LEO finds it on them, they will have the opportunity to confiscate and destroy it (/takefakelicense, /destroyfakelicense)
If it's destroyed, then the name becomes available once again.

Inventory item
After some consideration I got to the idea that it would be interesting for this fake license to be available as an actual inventory item.
On one hand it would be interesting because this way it makes taking/destroying it a bit more immersive.
On the other hand there is chance people would abuse this by passing one fake license between themselves. (Technically you couldn't because it would have your picture too

I am open to hear all suggestions/changes/problems related to this, and I'm really interested to know what you guys think about something like this.

Edited by DjBricheta
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I really like the idea, would make stuff a bit harder for PD to figure out real identities and whatnot - bringing more RP for detectives.

There are a few problems here though. I'm assuming with your suggestion, if it were to be implemented:

1. The player can choose a fake name. This can cause problems such as choosing a name that already exists. If fake names are restricted to non-existing names like you indicate in your post, then it lowers the pool of available names for future characters. OR
  2. The name would be randomly generated. It also lowers the pool of available names and this could lead to some seriously weird names, probably.

If we go down the road of being able to choose names that already exist, then a few things would have to be revamped, such as actual working mugshots/photo ID in the MDC (to compare to see if they're actually the person they're claiming to be - of course if there's no mugshots/photo ID, then cop would be SOL).

I can also see people using it in non-RP ways possibly - and fake gun licenses may not be a good idea as getting a gun legally is NPC-interaction only, whereas IRL someone may question whether you're actually eligible to own a gun.

Otherwise though, fake driver's licenses, fake trucker's licenses, etc - these would be a really cool implement and provide some cool alternatives for crim. It'd have to be thought through a lot though to prevent abuse.

Edited by SaltyPython
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaltyPython said:
  • The player can choose a fake name. This can cause problems such as choosing a name that already exists. If fake names are restricted to non-existing names, then it lowers the pool of available names for future characters. OR
  • The name would be randomly generated. It also lowers the pool of available names and this could lead to some seriously weird names, probably.

The idea behind it was to be able to choose a name that doesn't already exist.

2 minutes ago, SaltyPython said:

and fake gun licenses may not be a good idea as getting a gun legally is NPC-interaction only

Same here, I didn't mention in the original suggestion, but the idea was to have a gun license just for showing purposes. What I mean by that is that it wouldn't allow you to buy guns from the gun stores.

I will edit the original post to mention these 2 things.

I think rather than getting fake IDs from NPCs, would be better to add a tool for fake IDs to  illegal imports as well as resources for producing, which would be legally available at a new location as most material used for manufacturing IDs would not be illegal. This would encourage more interaction and make it harder to get, rather than facing an issue with every body carrying fake licenses, same as people do with masks/gloves.

I think for names, could just compile a list of most common fnames/lnames and just have them chosen at random. The names could be taken from the current character database, which i assume at this point is massive. This way, names would be server common and would prevent metagaming by recognizing names that are IRL common.

I feel like a thing that could just ruin this idea, is if a cop at the scene has ever met you before, then they will just have you /aliased so it wont really matter.

I do really love the idea of it though

*Personally I wish alias' was just removed* but that is for another thread some day.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 3:24 AM, Puzzling said:

I feel like a thing that could just ruin this idea, is if a cop at the scene has ever met you before, then they will just have you /aliased so it wont really matter.

*Personally I wish alias' was just removed* but that is for another thread some day.

100% with your last statement, I wish there was a type of push to view ID's button so that when rulebreaks do happen its easy to identify that person however having them off for the majority of RP would be great.

- Less Metagaming

- More attention to detail has to be paid

- More ideas could be implemented for more in-depth RP such as this suggestion

and the list goes on..

On 1/4/2022 at 3:24 AM, Puzzling said:

I see where you're coming from, but then If you have someone with multiple characters same voice, they aren't wearing a mask and you say oh that looks and sounds like such and such, then it isn't, big problems:(