RowanMonty

Phone tracking

I believe the phone tracking system for the police is a bit overpowered and unrealistic. It only needs a small tweak but it is an important one. 

In real life, you cannot track a phone to its specific location, it's just not possible. Below is a better representation of how phone tracking really works.

The person you would be looking for is somewhere in that circle.

This would bring more use to Police helicopters and make commanders think of putting on cordons/road blocks etc. It's just more realistic and fair.  

Image result for phone tracking

Edited by RowanMonty

6 hours ago, InvalidSun said:

Current protocols for tracking require the detective tracking to remain stationary and not partake in the pursuit, but rather communicate the location to fellow officers, which does not work well without street names on the map. :P

I feel like only detectives should be able to do it and they can give it to any officer, this would require RP and realism.

so the detective does the track, they get a area circled on their map and use a command/RP to hand it out to officers, like handing them a piece of paper with it on, that officer can then see it also 

This should create briefing scenarios at pd or a certain location and a more tactical pursuit/pd 

detectives ARE the only ones able to use it. And obviously they can use radio to relay the position, it's 2017. Also, I have not seen a single pursuit that was guided by a detective spamming the phone tracking, it simply does not happen. Detectives can set up a perimeter if they want to but I don't think that has happened before at all either.

3 minutes ago, Triple Seven said:

detectives ARE the only ones able to use it. And obviously they can use radio to relay the position, it's 2017. Also, I have not seen a single pursuit that was guided by a detective spamming the phone tracking, it simply does not happen. Detectives can set up a perimeter if they want to but I don't think that has happened before at all either.

I know they are and I don’t completely disagree with you but if I’m hiding in a car park on the 3rd floor then all of a sudden there is 4 cruisers around me , a helicopter and every exit is blocked, things like that don’t happen, it just doesn’t happe and detectives using it might not always happen but it happens enough to be op, if there is a detective on you can be tracked instantly, whether they do or not that’s different but it is possible 

I’m not siding with criminals, just needs to be more realistic, I work in the force in the UK, phone tracking only gives you an area, ANPR is great but it’s only in select locations and the only other way is it officers tell popular places/show photos to the public. 

When the tracking system came out I was heavily against it, because it could be spammed. Even though this was the case, one of the best experiences I had as a criminal, was when a detective silently rolled up when I was at a dead drop, a wanted man, not realizing I had a phone on me. He remained in his car and when I saw him I walked away slowly as to not attract unnecessary attention. I got caught, with my entire gang, except for the members that died in the following shootout. So even though I technically "lost" I still had great fun. Now I doubt that parking garage story of yours is something that really happened or something you're just throwing out there as a possible situation (I have not seen a detective use phone tracking on a fresh case without investigating for a while recently, and what criminal on Eclipse is spending his time hiding in a parking garage doing nothing)

tl;dr: yes the system has its issues and needs finetuning in the future, but it gives RP and since the faction that can use the command has heavily toned down use and is I believe barely using it at all, there are more important things to work on right now.

As essentially, not yet of rank but with access to the commands, a detective, I can confirm that the command to track is rarely ever used, and if it’s used it is not spammed or such as there have been faction regulations set in place in the faction itself to prevent this from happening. Only a select few (currently the number is 4 I believe) people in the force are able and allowed to use this function, and even then; we don’t use it unless absolutely necessary, or if no proper investigation has lead to the moment of the tracking function being used. Phones being turned off or smashed also prevents one from being tracked, if the function is used.

When I was introduced to the system, I tried the tracking function on an OOC-level with our support staff, and it showed up as a big circle covering nearly the entire block where Savage Nation and Motorsports are located, so essentially it’s already displaying a radius, however I do agree that it could be made a bigger radius that is shown.