Thomas Beaulieu

Bomb Threats - Admin Approval

As someone who roleplays in the government, I think bomb threats should either need Admin approval (similiar to jailbreaks) or more serious and proven RP behind it and not just something along the lines of "Hey, here is a bag and a bomb". 
I get the RP behind it and it's fun when it's done right, but when it happens every other day, without much effort put behind it, it gets tiring fast.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it and maybe someone can convince me otherwise. 

On 9/9/2023 at 5:43 PM, Ash said:

Threats dont need approval, actual real bombs do and need the proper rp behind it.
But if someone says "i have a bomb" then why not leave that to just be up to ic consequences for faking it?

I think the reason being, fake or not, is the amount of LEO resources a single bomb threat requires. A couple of weeks back, on night-shift when LEO population is low, we had something like 2 in PD juro, and 2 in SD juro, and not enough appropriately trained LEO's to respond to them. They were 2 active at the same time, with 2 more active a minute after the others were concluded. It's something I think should require admin approval as we would be denying RP ops for people who want to do this, due to not being able to actually respond with the appropriate forces and trained individuals.

• Like 3

On 9/13/2023 at 2:41 PM, SquirtleSquad said:

I think the reason being, fake or not, is the amount of LEO resources a single bomb threat requires. A couple of weeks back, on night-shift when LEO population is low, we had something like 2 in PD juro, and 2 in SD juro, and not enough appropriately trained LEO's to respond to them. They were 2 active at the same time, with 2 more active a minute after the others were concluded. It's something I think should require admin approval as we would be denying RP ops for people who want to do this, due to not being able to actually respond with the appropriate forces and trained individuals.

There is a solid vein of truth to this. 

If you weigh up "who would win" meme amount of RP and resources LEOs need to counter one crimmy boi with a bag walking into city hall. . . yeah.

If an organisation were so minded, they could even abuse this by having an associate place fake bombs at key locations while the rest of them hit stores/banks knowing the LEOs will be tied up.

TLDR; If LEOs need to respond to every bomb threat (be it real or fake.) in the same way, shouldnt the RP perms for real or fake bombs be the same too? all we are changing is the outcome.

Edited by Quietthecutie
  • Upvote 2

Realistically speaking, all bomb threats are taken seriously whether proven to be false or not.  Even airports here in the states instruct individuals to report bags left unattended in case of them being a threat.  They are all treated with the same resources and consequences even if proven to be false threats.  That being said, it is fair to believe that a person caught issuing a bomb threat, whether real or false, would be incarcerated for an extended period of time making the odds of them doing the same thing shortly after being caught nearly impossible.  

1 hour ago, pixiejewels said:

Realistically speaking, all bomb threats are taken seriously whether proven to be false or not.  Even airports here in the states instruct individuals to report bags left unattended in case of them being a threat.  They are all treated with the same resources and consequences even if proven to be false threats.  That being said, it is fair to believe that a person caught issuing a bomb threat, whether real or false, would be incarcerated for an extended period of time making the odds of them doing the same thing shortly after being caught nearly impossible.  

All bomb threats are treated as if they are real. However, there are IC protocols that need to be followed through and without the necessary individuals online to deal with it basically robs both sides of valid RP.

1 hour ago, pixiejewels said:

I dont think anyone here is contesting that rply a bomb threat should always be met with an appropiate response. I think the point of this discussion is having to aquire perms for a fake bomb roleplay in addition to real bomb threats. As they both take the same ammount of response from emergency services and this may sometimes not be feasible.

• Upvote 2

I believe it's just too easy for people to walk into a building, drop a bag off and say "Yeah, there is a bomb in it". 
RPly people have to react to it immediately. Calling in a state of emergency, police, evacuation and so on. There 100% are people, who can provide some solid and good RP with bomb threats, no doubt about it. With that being said though, the ability to just walk into a place, pretending to have a bomb just to leave the area afterwards and not continuing with further RP just becomes stale after some time. 
I maybe just had some bad experiences, just wanted to bring some attention to it. I definitely agree with the points mentioned above though from an LEO perspective mentioned by Squirtle.  

Edited by Thomas Beaulieu

On 12/5/2023 at 8:08 AM, pixiejewels said:

Realistically speaking, people don't make bomb threats as often as they do on ECRP because you don't face real jail time and penalties for threats in a game. Realistically speaking, the LAPD and LASD have 10k law enforcement officers each that can easily handle a situation like that without overly stressing resources.

Because our in game laws are a watered down version of real life, making a bomb threat carries insignificant consequences that are on the same level as something like failure to comply which means you can force a large proportion of available LEOs on the server into a nonsense situation for almost no real IC punishment

Edited by Jett_J