TheCactus

Vehicle health number

The suggestion is simple: remove the number that the vehicle health shows. I think the indicator should look like what we have for food and water. That way not only people do not know when they are 1hp from perma stalling but it also stops people from mixing numbers with the vehicle's condition. Almost everyone's saying "my vehicle is one hit" or it's "0 hp" and that really ruins immersion.
I think it's more realistic to say "engine light is red" when your vehicle is almost done and removing numbers will have new players try to roleplay instead of having them see a number that they can say out loud just cause it's easier that way.

Edited by TheCactus
Added last part

-1 as much as i can agree on the "my vehicle is one hit" or its "0hp", you would end up with your cars getting permastalled so much, and if there are no mechanics on, its annoying enough when it happens occasionally, nevermind if its happening a lot as you can be sat waiting for up to an hour normally. It just ends up with unnecessary waiting and if you're in an un populated are just 0 rp taking place whatsoever.

4 hours ago, hrxvey said:

if there are no mechanics on, its annoying enough when it happens occasionally, nevermind if its happening a lot as you can be sat waiting for up to an hour normally

Maybe more people will become mechanics because we have a more realistic way of dealing with our cars and sometimes they permastall. Maybe people will be more careful driving their cars. Both benefit the server.

• Upvote 2

-1,  as @hrxvey said mechanics are hard to find when most freelance pay more per hour then a gov salary (especially with the job board bonus pay) my play time on this server when I can play is DEAD hours, and I am thankful that my OCD requires me to get a repair when my car drops even below 800 so I never really perma stall too much, but there have been many times my cars bug out in walls or something and get 0'd and no staff is online to take my report AND no mechanics are online to come repair, so I just ditch it and try again tomorrow.

Also in another post I made,  self repair was a amazing option especially since it was SUPER CHEAP, but with a recent update that was never mentioned auto repair is SUPER expensive now for any amount of damage. Got my car repaired from 878-1000 and it cost me 2.8k. 

• Like 1

I don't understand why you're mixing an IC issue, such as the recent lack of mechanics, with the removal of the number. You can see the engine light and figure out whether you gotta go to the mechanic or not.

5 hours ago, NoahG said:

-1 I agree with @hrxvey Mechanics do not respond to mechanic requests at all. This will just make the vehicles unusable

It's not like mechanics are going to come to your request asap if the condition of your vehicle shows as a number. LoGiK

On 11/15/2022 at 11:30 PM, XeV said:

-1,  as @hrxvey said mechanics are hard to find when most freelance pay more per hour then a gov salary (especially with the job board bonus pay) my play time on this server when I can play is DEAD hours, and I am thankful that my OCD requires me to get a repair when my car drops even below 800 so I never really perma stall too much, but there have been many times my cars bug out in walls or something and get 0'd and no staff is online to take my report AND no mechanics are online to come repair, so I just ditch it and try again tomorrow.

Also in another post I made,  self repair was a amazing option especially since it was SUPER CHEAP, but with a recent update that was never mentioned auto repair is SUPER expensive now for any amount of damage. Got my car repaired from 878-1000 and it cost me 2.8k. 

1 hour ago, TheCactus said:

IC issue

ic issue or not, who wants to sit and do fuck all for 25 minuets because you crashed your car. Noones saying that there being no mechanics is an ooc issue, we're just saying its gonna make the server less fun on an ooc level when you have to wait a stupid amount of time to get a repair. you need to smile more man!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, hrxvey said:

ic issue or not, who wants to sit and do fuck all for 25 minuets because you crashed your car. Noones saying that there being no mechanics is an ooc issue, we're just saying its gonna make the server less fun on an ooc level when you have to wait a stupid amount of time to get a repair. you need to smile more man!

So "its gonna make the server less fun on an ooc level when you have to wait a stupid amount of time to get a repair" because the number has a relation with mechanics not coming. I still don't think there's a relation beteween the two but we all wait for mechanics right now. Some more often than others. Just don't crash. Prevent (go to LSC or Bayview) instead of curing

Edited by TheCactus
  • Upvote 1

The argument can be made the other way that a tiered indicator instead of number would mean more people go to the mechanics for preventative repair instead of running it as close to 400 as they can before getting repairs, because let's face it, so many people do that "it'll only stall at X number so no need to get a repair yet" then end up stalling still and requiring roadside

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ash said:

The argument can be made the other way that a tiered indicator instead of number would mean more people go to the mechanics for preventative repair instead of running it as close to 400 as they can before getting repairs, because let's face it, so many people do that "it'll only stall at X number so no need to get a repair yet" then end up stalling still and requiring roadside

This.

6 hours ago, TheCactus said:

because the number has a relation with mechanics not coming.

in the kindest way possible, are you a little slow? im saying, if theres no way to tell how much health your car is on, then you can't know if you're gonna permastall or not. my point is if theres no way to tell if you're gonna permastall or not, then theres gonna be more waiting to do as you are more likely to permastall. please just use your brain man, you seem to be quite upset every time you comment on a thread. 🙂 like ash said, if theres an indicator then it wouldn't be an issue, however the initial suggestion never said that.

Edited by hrxvey

On 11/15/2022 at 3:46 PM, TheCactus said:

I think the indicator should look like what we have for food and water.

On 11/15/2022 at 3:46 PM, TheCactus said:

I think it's more realistic to say "engine light is red" when your vehicle is almost done

To be fair, it did say that 😛

On 11/15/2022 at 4:46 PM, TheCactus said:

Almost everyone's saying "my vehicle is one hit" or it's "0 hp" and that really ruins immersion.
I think it's more realistic to say "engine light is red" when your vehicle is almost done and removing numbers will have new players try to roleplay instead of having them see a number that they can say out loud just cause it's easier that way.

Instead of making a unnecessary script change people could start educating other's on how to properly refer to OOC scripts in a better RP standard, for example by referring to their vehicle being damaged with realistic sentences like "my cars smoking", "my engines making weird noises" "my cars fucked" instead of "my cars on 320 oil" or what OP originally said. This change could also have a lot of unintended side effects like Harvey has mentioned, unknowingly perma stalling your car, yeah it might be a little unrealistic at the end of the day this is just a game and wasting your time sitting around for mechanics is no fun. 

On 11/15/2022 at 9:16 PM, Mikazuki Ueno said:

Maybe more people will become mechanics because we have a more realistic way of dealing with our cars and sometimes they permastall. Maybe people will be more careful driving their cars. Both benefit the server.

I agree with you on that people would be more careful driving their cars, however relying on MAYBE's instead of definitive facts isn't a good way to go, mechanic RP has always been lacking on ECRP and it's not something that can really be solved without scriptly changing how repairing vehicles work, Mechanic RP is mostly people hanging out with their friends and copy pasting RP from a sheet, it's not interesting at all and doesn't even make you good money if you're actively looking to play on the server instead of being tabbed out which is basically every government job apart from PD, SD and DOC. Some of the changes I think would help the mechanic issue on ECRP would be to make the mechanic get 50% of the labor cost of the vehicle they are servicing, would benefit them more and would make people RP a more realistic mechanic by trying to upsell people modifications so they can make more money, would boost the amount of people wanting to actually work as mechanics and boost RP quality in general. Or you could make it so you can buy self repair kits from LSC or Bayview to restore like 200-300 HP for 2.5k or however the developers feel like it should be.

Overall OPs concerns of ruining immersion/mixing terminology is something the community can change themselves, however the mechanic issue really needs developer attention. It's just a game and everyone's here to have fun, not waste time on waiting for something that should realistically take a max of 5 minutes.

Edited by okamiii
grammar fix
  • Upvote 1