Homast

Re-implementing a base GTA mechanic : Shooting from Driver Seat

Hello Epic Eclipsians. This is a very straightforward, and most likely a very desired suggestion that I don't believe I've seen made, but I've certainly heard about the desire for it.

It is simply for the ability to shoot from the driver seat, be reimplemented.

This idea has stemmed from mostly original thought, but also due to my brainstorming of RP scenarios that could be played out, however due to script limitations, they have 1) Not been able to without being a clunky, jank mess, or 2) Not been able to due to staff ruling due to said script limitations.

A counterargument that immediately comes to mind against this suggestion is "Well, How does being able to shoot from the driver seat make any sense?" and normally, while driving, it entirely does not. Which is why I believe that similar to how the carrying system works currently, you cannot point or fire a gun while moving more than say, 15 km/h.

Not only does this allow for better, more fluid combat engagement RP, but it would allow far more freedom of RP.

Currently, the standard hostage taking practice is as follows : You find someone, Pull up next to them. Stop your vehicle, and get out, pull your gun out, and give verbal demands while that person is still actively running. This allows for the excuse "Well I didn't see a gun so Demands weren't valid in my opinion" which is oftentimes the case that has been found. Also for the fact that Verbal demands alone, don't give DM rights, you're pretty much SoL if someone decides not to turn around to acknowledge your demands while they're on foot.

This previously mentioned process, takes about 10-15 seconds normally. In addition, this allows plenty of time for reaction from allies or 3rd parties and is extremely overt.

If we implement this new system, it would allow faster paced kidnapping RP, where you can very very easily scoop someone up solo, without time for others to react. The process would become the following: You pull up alongside somone, set your cruise control real low (Like running speed low) and keep up with the person, aiming a gun at them, and even perhaps pulling in front of the person. What becomes a 10-15 second process, could take 5.

Don't get me started on the lads who like to take cops hostage on traffic stops. This would also allow this to become a far easier thing to do, while at the same time, making it easier for criminal playerbase to attempt to get away (Because truthfully, they do need every chance against situations where a Helicopter, 10 heavies ready to take tires, and other such things occur. Speaking from experience as I am on both sides of this quite frequently)

If you can think of further cons to this, please, the floor is open for discussion, however I will explicity state this, If you make my suggestion into a Crim V. Cop post, I will retract this entire suggestion.

• Like 3

So my main issues here are desync, FRP, and the advantages it would bring to bigger groups.

Desync is really annoying in it's current state and half of the time it's impossible to tell if someone is meaning to shoot you or flip you off, because they don't know which they're doing either. That needs to be fixed ASAP in my opinion before we can move forward.

FRP would need major adjustments, as demands aren't valid if given from a vehicle regardless currently and it could seriously hinder RP changing that, as right now I do find a pretty big distaste for PvP RP as a whole and always have; and being snagged under FRP with zero ability to react would really kill my mood. If I see someone's door open or they get off their bike, I typically leave and radio that in if i'm in a high crime or secluded area. Being put under FRP from a driver would totally cause a rampage to the server, especially in those high crime areas like labs.

Personally I know first hand that shooting from your vehicle is difficult, and the faster speed you go; the more dangerous it gets. Instead of limiting the speed, I would rather it force you into a first person perspective IF this change got implimented.

Bigger groups would just roll around in armored vehicles and shout demands from Patriot Mil-Specs, Buffalo STX's, and then if anyone attempted to fight back, they would drive away and swarm the group inside. Lots of issues, but if things were implemented correctly and still allowed for a response to be had; I wouldn't be against the idea entirely. I believe at one point this was able to be done on ECRP and was removed, but I'm not 100% on that and am curious as to why it was removed, if it was.

10 minutes ago, Melody Frey said:

Desync is really annoying in it's current state and half of the time it's impossible to tell if someone is meaning to shoot you or flip you off, because they don't know which they're doing either. That needs to be fixed ASAP in my opinion before we can move forward.

This is a fair and valid point.

12 minutes ago, Melody Frey said:

FRP would need major adjustments, as demands aren't valid if given from a vehicle regardless currently and it could seriously hinder RP changing that,

Also a fair and valid point, however, if changed, Giving demands from a High-Speed Moving Vehicle, should be the case for them not being valid. Talking like... 90+km/h

14 minutes ago, Melody Frey said:

being snagged under FRP with zero ability to react would really kill my mood.

15 minutes ago, Melody Frey said:

especially in those high crime areas like labs.

Gunna lump these together, This isn't to create a Crim V Cop discussion, but It should be roleplayed as a dangerous area from both perspectives, If you're there alone, you already know what's to be expected, why not have your gun drawn to make it so that being put under FRP in situations like this isn't a possibility, and that you have the ability to fight back. We already have it in place where if you explicitly wait for someone to start picking or planting, the script prevents you from having a chance, Powergaming punishments have gone out for such behaviours, and if abused going forward like that, probably will continue to be.

18 minutes ago, Melody Frey said:

Bigger groups would just roll around in armored vehicles and shout demands from Patriot Mil-Specs, Buffalo STX's,

My Counterargument for this is, don't let people have their cake and eat it too for armored vehicles. Bullet Resistant vehicles, sure, but if we're thinking about it, 1 of 2 things will happen, number 1 is, window gets smashed out, rendering bulletproofness gone. number 2 is windows get rolled down, which is time to take to type out the command, giving attackers a disadvantage, and people somewhat of a chance to react. (Not sure how the script specifically interacts with these behaviors, could definitely stand for some testing though).