skeletee

Alternative RP Protocol Suggestion (LARGER-SCALED RP)

Currently, I feel that there is no formal way to request approval for alternative RP for larger-scaled RP*. To my understanding, any requests for alternative RP needs to be asked through /report 1 requesting a SA+ or directly to a SA+ staff member themselves. Myself and the faction I'm in currently carry out RP that doesn't rely on any script, but there are instances where we want RP to be more exciting but would require the bypass of certain rules. Even though the current way to request alternative RP is decent and sustainable, I feel that it could be better, and even encourage people to be more open and creative with their RP knowing that requesting it is more accessible. 

I understand that alternative RP should be something that is accepted rarely, so I also propose such requests to have two phases; the first phase would be the filling out of the primary form (as below), and the second phase would be a series of follow-up questions plus a meeting with relevant HC and the SA+ delegated to ensure that the alternative RP goes as planned. For example, if my faction decided to request alternative RP of their bombs being compromised one day at the docks, this would require the approval of a lead in PD to confirm that they want to be involved in addition to SA+'s approval, followed by an in-depth conversation about how the RP should be carried out to ensure that it happens organically for all other members involved.

In this suggestion, I'm just proposing that alternative RP requests that require larger-scaled planning should go through a google form with its fundamental questions, such as:

1. In detail, please explain what RP you would like to carry out.

2. What rules do you want or think you need to bypass to carry out this RP? 

3. What RP, if any, have you done leading up to this plan? Feel free to link forum posts, UNIX time stamps of past RP and involved members, or other relevant evidence to support your answer.

4. When do you plan to carry out this RP. (date and time (UTC))

5. What, if any, are you requesting in return for the alternative RP? (i.e. what amount of money or materials).

6. Why do you want to carry out this RP?

To reduce major influxes of RP requests, I would also suggest that this form should be only available to official factions. I suggest this because factions that have developed to the point of official have implicated trust that they RP for the sake of RP and not for the sake of gain alone (such as RP'ing a bank heist for money would not solely be for the money, but also for faction/story development). This would also reduce the work of staff members and ensure that a lot of care and consideration is taken into each larger-scaled RP event.

*I'm defining larger-scaled RP in this context as RP that requires long-term planning backed by strong RP motive that eventually leads to a large-scaled event/situation that has major implications on the faction (such as major changes/developments).

I understand that there are many loopholes and many things that would need further clarification.. but this is merely a suggestion! Feel free to share your thoughts and previous experiences requesting alternative RP approval. It would be good to hear from different perspectives. 

Edited by Lola Millers
  • Like 26
  • NAY 1
  • Upvote 8

I agree to an extent.. I think there definitely needs to be some written clarity on alternative RP to explain to what extent RP can be limited without the approval of staff member. For example, I've tried RPing hiding my briefcase under a house at a lab while picking marijuana plants - a staff member told me that this would be fine and RPd appropriately since it's realistic, but the regular community player told me I needed approval for this from a SA+ because it doesn't follow script. I feel like there are discrepancies and people are generally just unsure what alt RP is and where exactly they are limited. So, I generally agree that this should be revised and possibly incorporated into the rulebook. 

However, I do think that alternative RP should remain somewhat strict, especially for requests for large-scaled RP. If, for example, my faction decided to raid a rival enemy's property and RP bombing it using Semtex-C4s, this would require serious deliberation and approval. I can come up with three main reasons for this:

1. We need to consider the repercussions and outcome of the RP. They have just had their property destroyed, so any business or storage in that property is also gone or at a hold. Script-wise, admins may have to tear down all furniture from the inside, which will set back the rival faction by a lot - money and time-wise (to rebuild it back up again). 

2. We need to consider the reasons that back this type of RP that we want to do. We need to consider if the escalation leading up to that moment really equivalates to the need for the rival faction having their property blown up. Such an action realistically would require days, if not weeks of constant fighting that takes account of the NLR rule. That being said, I would imagine such an action would only be acceptable in an official war.

3. With the two points in mind, I imagine it's also important to ensure that everyone involved - including the rival faction - is going to be happy/satisfied with the RP. At the end of the day, everyone is trying to have a good time on the server. This isn't impossible if people don't foster a win-mentality. Using the same example that I mentioned in the first post, if approval is given to our bombs being compromised at the docks by PD, our members would have to suffer fines and jailtime, and potentially the raid of our bomb workshop. At the end, we are taking the loss, but the possible RP that follows it makes it worthwhile (interrogations, future shipment plans, bomb replacements, a change in the dynamics between PD and the Irish, and change in faction developments such as our storyline with the IRA). Or, using the above example of us raiding a rival gang property during a war for example, would give the rival gang that much of a reason to plan the same to us, and therefore both factions can benefit and exercise different RP opportunities.

TLDR; more rules should be incorporated about minor alternative RP, but approval for large-scaled RP should definitely be treated to much higher calibres and continue as less frequent - at least for now. This suggestion is simply a suggestion to make requesting it more accessible and orderly.

Edited by Lola Millers
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lola Millers said:

I agree to an extent.. I think there definitely needs to be some written clarity on alternative RP to explain to what extent RP can be limited without the approval of staff member. For example, I've tried RPing hiding my briefcase under a house at a lab while picking marijuana plants - a staff member told me that this would be fine and RPd appropriately since it's realistic, but the regular community player told me I needed approval for this from a SA+ because it doesn't follow script. I feel like there are discrepancies and people are generally just unsure what alt RP is and where exactly they are limited. So, I generally agree that this should be revised and possibly incorporated into the rulebook. 

However, I do think that alternative RP should remain somewhat strict, especially for requests for large-scaled RP. If, for example, my faction decided to raid a rival enemy's property and RP bombing it using Semtex-C4s, this would require serious deliberation and approval. I can come up with three main reasons for this:

1. We need to consider the repercussions and outcome of the RP. They have just had their property destroyed, so any business or storage in that property is also gone or at a hold. Script-wise, admins may have to tear down all furniture from the inside, which will set back the rival faction by a lot - money and time-wise (to rebuild it back up again). 

2. We need to consider the reasons that back this type of RP that we want to do. We need to consider if the escalation leading up to that moment really equivalates to the need for the rival faction having their property blown up. Such an action realistically would require days, if not weeks of constant fighting that takes account of the NLR rule. That being said, I would imagine such an action would only be acceptable in an official war.

3. With the two points in mind, I imagine it's also important to ensure that everyone involved - including the rival faction - is going to be happy/satisfied with the RP. At the end of the day, everyone is trying to have a good time on the server. This isn't impossible if people don't foster a win-mentality. Using the same example that I mentioned in the first post, if approval is given to our bombs being compromised at the docks by PD, our members would have to suffer fines and jailtime, and potentially the raid of our bomb workshop. At the end, we are taking the loss, but the possible RP that follows it makes it worthwhile (interrogations, future shipment plans, bomb replacements, a change in the dynamics between PD and the Irish, and change in faction developments such as our storyline with the IRA). Or, using the above example of us raiding a rival gang property during a war for example, would give the rival gang that much of a reason to plan the same to us, and therefore both factions can benefit and exercise different RP opportunities.

TLDR; more rules should be incorporated about minor alternative RP, but approval for large-scaled RP should definitely be treated to much higher calibres and continue as less frequent - at least for now. This suggestion is simply a suggestion to make requesting it more accessible and orderly.

100%, however another staff member could tell you, no "it's alt RP" since there is really no written guidelines whatsoever and its more opinionated when coming to small matters like that, for instance you are a passenger seat at a car, and you try to drop something from the window via proper roleplay, even giving a /do to the other party, to prevent any PG and you're hit with "you scriptly can not drop items out of a vehicle so its alt rp" luckily in one of those scenarios cops like Samuel Collona agreed on roleplaying this with myself after having a quick discussion on pms and ppl like him actually encourage people on using /me's and /do's rather than the typical cops v robbers since realistically as a criminal there's so many situations you can get out of by being smart, hiding , throwing shit away, without just going for your classic GTA chase / or ECRP's Demands -> shootout // I don't think script limitations should be there to prevent realistic roleplay, and that ALT RP SHOULD NOT BE A THING...

However to maintain order and balance in the server, there needs to be a list of  certain things (specific incidents) where you need SA approval, but I believe the Term ALT RP itself should not exist as its a restriction and limitation, specially when all action based RP is looked down upon now, and the server is trying to transition its playerbase from a light RP community to a heavy RP community (At least what the last rule updates have been working towards over the past year indicate) to be able to create more "Roleplay"  ALT RP should not exist.

• Like 1
  • NAY 1

21 hours ago, Lola Millers said:

followed by an in-depth conversation about how the RP should be carried out to ensure that it happens organically for all other members involved.

Have an in-depth conversation about the RP you want to do (which is possibly scripted) and the ensure it happens organically? How is this in any shape or form organic. 

Second, RP should be organic and it sometimes is improvised (mechanics of creativity) but this type of RP is not possible because you need prior approval, reviews, etc. 

And lastly you want to add more rules? In fact what we need is simplified rules, less staff approval and control over RP scenarios and enforce better RP standards (less and I do mean less /b /ooc in game).

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 8:31 PM, Jing said:

Have an in-depth conversation about the RP you want to do (which is possibly scripted) and the ensure it happens organically? How is this in any shape or form organic. 

I feel that there are ways for certain alt RP scenarios to be carried out organically. If I want to RP out bombs being compromised by PD, I'd imagine myself from my faction would anticipate it to happen, plus one PD lead. Say 9 members of my faction decide to join without knowing what is going to happen and neither would the rest of the SWAT/PD team. To make sure it runs as organically as possible, we would ask someone - potentially the SA+ that has been delegated to the request - to RP as the shipman and ring PD to call in suspicious behaviour. To the rest of LEO, this would come in as a normal 911 phone call. The RP would therefore be organic for the majority of the members involved. This is just one of the examples. I believe that just because larger-scaled RP opportunities are planned to an extent, doesn't make it any less fun of RP to be involved in. 

Second, RP should be organic and it sometimes is improvised (mechanics of creativity) but this type of RP is not possible because you need prior approval, reviews, etc. 

I have improvised a lot of RP that doesn't involve script, or even admin approval, because it doesn't break any rules or have any major implications on any other faction's RP. You're saying that it's not possible, but I feel like it absolutely is.

And lastly you want to add more rules? In fact what we need is simplified rules, less staff approval and control over RP scenarios and enforce better RP standards (less and I do mean less /b /ooc in game).

I personally don't agree with this. In my opinion, requesting for alternative RP approval is basically about requesting for rules to be broken for RP (particularly PG) purposes and bypassing script. Therefore, I think it's reasonable that the rulebook states when people can request for this approval. What's needed is more clarification on what alt RP is and when people need/do not need to request approval for it. 

Edited by Lola Millers
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Papadakis said:

Unofrtunatelly at this state SWAT gets denied smoke grenade rp through windows.

For the purpose of my suggestion, I'm specifically talking about larger-scaled RP*. I think - from what you're saying - smoke grenades through windows sounds more like an on-the-spot request rather than large-scaled RP. However, I won't disagree, I think the use of it definitely has great, immersive RP potential. For example, if I put in an alt RP request to raid an aircraft carrier, myself and the PD/SWAT in lead would agree that smoke grenades can be used as a pivotal moment in the RP. For example, the LEO in lead may decide that the use of a smoke grenade would be used to deceive the force's location, and therefore might separate my gang into two - one getting away, and the other getting captured. This is just a quick idea.

*I'm defining larger-scaled RP in this context as RP that requires long-term planning backed by strong RP motive that eventually leads to a large-scaled event/situation that has major implications on the faction (such as major changes/developments).

Again, I do think more clarification is needed.. Some RP may just require alt RP approval through /report or direct PMs.. but I think it can be unanimously agreed that the line has to be drawn somewhere to prevent people from doing really simplistic RP for an action that can change a whole RP outcome/story/development. Is this making sense?

Maybe a new suggestion for more flexibility for alternative RP that is on-the-spot would be good.. perhaps an added /report 5 (brief description of alternative RP request) e.g. /report 5 "There is a hostage inside this building, can we request the use of a smoke bomb to cloud/disorient the aggressor to get the hostage out?". 

Edited by Lola Millers
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.