oTNGo

Vehicle Mechanic Repair / Tool Kit

Hi i've ran into problems a few times now when there are no mechanics online, or very few around.

I've seen me wait around for anywhere between 1-5 hours several times and even overnight irl waiting for a mechanic to either come online or become available.

I have a suggestion being a repair kit, it would be purchasable from either the general stores through los santos or from the mechanics themselves.

I understand that if these were to be added they would need to be more expensive than the actual price of calling a mechanic, say about (4-5k) with a one time use.

This would keep mechanics relevant, used and appreciated just as often as they are now but would also help out players when there are none online to help.

Like right now i've been waiting almost an hour for one to arrive and haven't moved in game.

Any feedback would be welcome and of course this is just a rough idea of how they could be implimented with any changes to it being welcomed.

Edited by oTNGo

I do agree with your point that there should be an alternative, but similar to MD, when you injure yourself and no one from MD is on duty, or someone simply doesn’t turn up, unfortunately you cannot just suddenly ‘patch’ yourself up and be on your way, doing so removes the need for MD in a way and removes the need for more RP. I do think, similar to MD, there should be a license you should be able to obtain, a ‘mechanic’s license’ which similar to the MD’s ‘medical license’ ‘gives the ability to temporarily extend the lifespan of an individual’. The same can be done for the repair kit, where a one time use thing allows you to give your car a certain amount of HP, and temporarily allows you to drive your vehicle to the nearest mech shop. This ‘Mechanic’s license’ has to be obtained through a ‘Repair Kit course’ which LSC would host, the same as MD and show you how to repair your car, how and what to look out for etc. This would add yet more great RP that we don’t see from situations like this, and opens up more opportunities.

Again, similar to the OP, this is simply a suggestion, as I do know the current system does work but is sometimes flawed due to the lack if mech’s willing to come out and do tow’s, sometimes out of choice. 

Edited by ITZ_THE_F0NZ
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure on the mechanic's license, i mean i suppose it would depend on the situation the cars in, you cary spare tyres and a repair kit in your own car irl i dont see why you wouldnt do so in gta rp right?

even if the kit was 10k i'm sure it would come in handy in situations like the one im currently in, waiting almost 2 hours with 3 mechanics online.

Edited by oTNGo

I think it more comes down to your characters knowledge of how to repair a car, no one in the entire city, stepping fresh off that plane will know how to operate and repair a car, despite having spare tyres and a kit In their car. The mechanic’s license is a way for people to learn officially through IC means how to do so, and effectively adds to the RP and backstory behind your character and how you develop them throughout your time in the city. Having the ability to say ‘Iv got an official mechanics license, given to me by LSC and I had to go through a course where I was shown extensively how to repair a vehicle and in what situations I should and shouldn’t’ just helps add that little bit extra RP and immersion, rather than every single person who steps off the plane saying ‘yeah I fix cars, so I should be allowed to buy a repair kit and repair any vehicle I want. Remember, this is an RP server, not everyone should is allowed to just use any scripted item in the server just because ‘it is there’. Gun licenses for example you have to apply for, RP a safety course, fill out paperwork, have PD check you over. And once it’s approved, then your allowed to buy your firearm. That’s like saying, ‘well why not just raise the prices of a .50 to 25k each in the shops and we will forget about the gun license’ just because there is no other alternative to waiting for PD to approve my license. Again, this all adds to the RP and the immersion within the server. And always remembering, why your character is doing what he is doing, does he have experience? Does he have a reason behind it? Etc etc 

Edited by ITZ_THE_F0NZ
  • Like 2

I do not really like the idea of repair kits since it would take away some RP as well as not really make sense that everyone carries them around and would know how to fix an engine.

My little idea is as follows:

First of all, I think we should get /mechanic and /newsagency function buttons on our phones. If you don't have a phone that's on, you can't call for these.

Secondly, I think that if a mechanic doesn't respond in X amount of time (Or if there's just none on duty) then you can 'call' for Mors breakdown cover where you state a license of a vehicle, it checks if you're in range of it, it charges you a wad of cash from your bank and your vehicle is set to say 400 health (or something close to the minimum of breaking down again) with an /do of something like A Mors breakdown cover mechanic would get your vehicle working again

This would require you to still go to a mechanic eventually to get your vehicle properly repaired.

Edited by DrPathetic
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, DrPathetic said:

I do not really like the idea of repair kits since it would take away some RP as well as not really make sense that everyone carries them around and would know how to fix an engine.

First of all, I think we should get /mechanic and /newsagency function buttons on our phones. If you don't have a phone that's on, you can't call for these.

Secondly, I think that if a mechanic doesn't respond in X amount of time (Or if there's just none on duty) then you can 'call' for Mors breakdown cover where you state a license of a vehicle, it checks if you're in range of it, it charges you a wad of cash from your bank and your vehicle is set to say 400 health (or something close to the minimum of breaking down again) with an /ame of something like A Mors breakdown cover mechanic would get your vehicle working again

This would require you to still go to a mechanic eventually to get your vehicle properly repaired.

+1

5 hours ago, DrPathetic said:

Secondly, I think that if a mechanic doesn't respond in X amount of time (Or if there's just none on duty) then you can 'call' for Mors breakdown cover where you state a license of a vehicle, it checks if you're in range of it, it charges you a wad of cash from your bank and your vehicle is set to say 400 health (or something close to the minimum of breaking down again) with an /ame of something like A Mors breakdown cover mechanic would get your vehicle working again

yes i like this idea more actually +1

This suggestion is simple - add the ability to repair permanently stalled vehicles. I'm fine with having to go to mechanics for general repairs, but mechanics RARELY go out to pick up vehicles that are permanently stalled.

Could have to take a repair class at LSC/Bayview, could be expensive, take a while to complete, may only generate 100HP back to a car, etc. for balancing.

I have left vehicles for months due to not even wanting to try to get a mechanic to it. It's a massive nuisance, especially if you play during low pop hours and there's not a single mechanic online.  

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

+1 to repair kits,

I believe there should be some type of repair kits at the general stores,

It would be a good idea if mechanics were to host a class that would cost around 10k (just like the BLS at MD) to even have the ability to repair a stalled vehicle by yourself.

When you repair a stalled car on your own with a repair kit, the car should be able to run for 10 mins or so, so you have enough time to get a full repair at a mechanic.

The repair kit would not add any HP to the car it would just be able to start again for a short amount of time.

P.S every other server has some type of self repair

Edited by Kamarz

My idea on this issue was after 15 minutes of waiting for a mechanic request if not accepted it would run through an RP script where you are called by a "mechanic" which then scriptly walks you through how to bodge/ temporarily fix the vehicle to say 350 health, enough to get you to Bayview/LSC. This way it still gives the mechanics that do want to use the towtruck the opportunity for the RP, but then also allows others to not suffer having to lose out on an hours worth of RP opportunities. This especially effects people who may only want to play a few hours a day and lose an hour just waiting for a mechanic. 

I like the idea of the mechanic course to allow players to patch cars up to a usable condition! 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 8:25 AM, DrPathetic said:

Secondly, I think that if a mechanic doesn't respond in X amount of time (Or if there's just none on duty) then you can 'call' for Mors breakdown cover where you state a license of a vehicle, it checks if you're in range of it, it charges you a wad of cash from your bank and your vehicle is set to say 400 health (or something close to the minimum of breaking down again) with an /do of something like A Mors breakdown cover mechanic would get your vehicle working again

+1