Speed Racer

Dash cam RP for government-spawned vehicles

Fairly simple suggestion here - I propose we remove the requirement for RPing the turning on of dash cams while in any government spawned vehicles (this includes any vehicle spawned by LSPD, LSSD, DOC, Gov, DCC, and LSC). 
Note: The requirement of RPing saving the footage would still be necessary for IC evidence.

Rationale - in real life, I don't have to physically turn my dash cam on as it turns on automatically when my car starts. As a mechanic, all this currently does is clog my shadowplay folder with screenshots of me turning on the dash cam with how often we spawn and despawn tow trucks while on-duty. We never RP installing the dash cam to the vehicle we spawn since all of these vehicles would have dash cams installed already for liability purposes, so it only makes sense that we could assume the dash cam turns on when the vehicle starts.

Caveats for discussion -

• Since we're easing the restrictions on RP for this, a possible drawback could be that people investigating dash cam footage won't get the same benefits of the 3rd person rule we benefit from on this server with body cam footage. Only footage in front of the vehicle could/should be considered when reviewing dash cam evidence ICly?
  • Possibly allow this for player-owned vehicles if they have an instance of them installing the dash cam in their car saved as a screenshot with a /time included? Not sure on this, I've got open ears on it though.

I'm not a fan of it. I think that if you want such a huge IC advantage, you should RP it. It's a bit like letting people have gloves without rping them (before they got scripted). 

I've RPed a dashcam on several occasions, and when I didn't, sometimes I wished I did, but then I lost an advantage because I "forgot to turn it on". 

I think it's very balanced as it is.

35 minutes ago, alexalex303 said:

I'm not a fan of it. I think that if you want such a huge IC advantage, you should RP it. It's a bit like letting people have gloves without rping them (before they got scripted). 

I've RPed a dashcam on several occasions, and when I didn't, sometimes I wished I did, but then I lost an advantage because I "forgot to turn it on". 

I think it's very balanced as it is.

Guess I never really considered the burden of remembering to "t/me turns on the dash cam {enter} t/time {enter}" for every tow truck spawn and clogging up storage space on my drive with screenshots as a matter of IC balance, but I appreciate the new perspectives for sure.
Is it safe to assume you didn't see the first bulleted caveat as enough of a counterbalance to this change then?

I did see the caveat, but you need to remember that with each caveat, you're further complicating relatively straight-forward RP, and introducing more points for OOC issues disagreements. This is a third person game, I personally do not support any restrictions on camera vision because it causes issues. You add desync onto that, and it just becomes a recipe for long arguments.

Right now it's very straight forward. Did you do the RP? Do you have evidence? Cool. Whatever you see, you see it.

With your proposed solution, it would be like: Is the car a government vehicle? Great. Did you record OOCly? Okay, upload it, okay, but in my opinion, the center right column would block sight of my gun? What do you mean it wouldn't, it's just a small pistol. Well from that angle it doesn't, but if you look like this? Who decides where the dashcam is placed? to the right, to the left, center?

So yeah. I don't think it's a bad idea, but I don't think you've considered all the ramifications, and as someone that deals with IC evidence (and the issues above) on a daily basis, I would appreciate a more straight-forward system vs a super realistic one.

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.