Ben Stealher

Fear RP is generally power gaming - Change my mind.

I think in the majority of scenarios Fear RP is power gaming. Most Fear RP scenarios don't allow a player to role play any of their possible actions. For example, if someone puts a gun on them but they're standing right next to a building exit, or right next to their vehicles door, or even right next to a jump into the water or something, its entirely reasonable that they might RP risking the surprise escape in order to abscond the consequences they're currently facing. Like if they're being robbed at gunpoint but the attack is on the other side of the vehicle and is several feet a way, it isn't unreasonable to attempt to flee if you think the opportunity has arisen. I think Fear RP not allowing a player to role play that scenario would actually in that case be power gaming. Also in a situation where the individual holding the firearm is more than 5 feet away from the vehicle he is pointing his gun at, I think in that scenario is is entirely reasonable to expect someone to floor the gas and attempt to flee due to how inaccurate most users are with firearms.

• Upvote 1

I think having to show Fear RP against police officers is more powergamish than having to show Fear RP against criminals. It's totally reasonable for an unarmed criminal to run away from PD who has a gun pointed at them. You wouldn't fear being shot, as they could only shoot you if you are a deadly threat. Only time you should show Fear RP (in terms of evading) against cops is if you are armed, severely outnumbered, or have committed a violent felony that they know about. It should still be Fear RP to pull a gun out if they have one pointed at you because you are at a major disadvantage.

On the other hand, criminals could shoot you for the smallest reason, so I think the strict Fear RP is more appropriate.

Edited by Copperhorse
  • Like 2

I think having to show Fear RP against police officers is more powergamish than having to show Fear RP against criminals. It's totally reasonable for an unarmed criminal to run away from PD who has a gun poimted at them. You wouldn't fear being shot, as they could only shoot you if you are a deadly threat. Only time you should show Fear RP (in terms of evading) against cops is if you are armed, severely outnumbered, or have committed a violent felony that they know about.

On the other hand, criminals could shoot you for the smallest reason, so I think the strict Fear RP is more appropriate.

I understand what you're saying but I also think that escapes could be much more likely than you think. When you do something someone doesn't expect it generally takes them longer to react. So in a scenario when a criminal is further away than your escape is then you should have the chance to attempt it and they have to roleplay attempting to stop you either by cutting your escape off or by shooting you if that is the option they take, however because of the proximity of them vs your escape it's entirely likely you could escape while they're shooting at you and should be role played as such.

• Upvote 1

In my opinion, robbing/kidnapping should have its standarts up,i mean, most of people do it by simply taking gun out and shouting "hAnDs" in a loop. Like, they should at least put 2-3 /me /do's before saying anything in voip, its straight powergaming / non-rp, if attacker doesnt provide quality rp prior attempting to rob/kidnap anyone, it should be allowed to just spray them down head to to without any rp, same way they do it. 

Also +1 for the fact that it is reasonable to attempt to flie if someone is pointing gun at you, not everyone irl stand still, someone might try run, someone might try hit gun out of attacker etc...

Yes and no, I think things need to be done more on an RP basis when it comes to Fear RP and not so much strict ruleplay, and the line for breaking Fear RP needs to be much clearer

For example, say you're in a powered vehicle and you're at a stop and someone is pointing a gun at you. Realistically you're covered by a lot of metal, you can move much faster than your attacker, and you have a reasonable chance of escape. The act of actually attempting to escaping could be seen as breaking FRP, but could also be seen as not being Fear RP.

Personally I think FearRP should apply the most when the victim is on foot without a means of escape, such as in a building, confined space, or they're surrounded. If its one person aiming a gun at another person in a vehicle, the line of Fear RP is much more blurred, but then you'd have people Non-RPing that they are 1000% safe in a vehicle like you used to.

Edited by eradicati0n

FearRP rule is in place to prevent people from acting in unrealistic ways when faced with a threat of lethal force (weapons), in other words valuing their life. I understand that IRL, people sometimes take a chance, or have a fight or flight reaction. However, this is a game with limitations. In Eclipse people can't kill you in one shot or two. If they could then perhaps some leniency would be in order since you are more likely to be shot and killed fairly quickly, like real life. Since this isn't the case, a change to the FearRP rule would mean that people would take advantage of how GTA works and would be able to escape situations that would realistically lead to their swift death. 

I find that the best solution for this, especially if your goal is to enhance RP, is to play smart, avoid putting yourself in situations where you are placed under FearRP and thus getting the edge over other players, not to mention the rules already allow for exceptions like being in a running vehicle, having appropriate cover, etc...

• Like 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.