Korab_Bagadovic

Game has insane lag spikes/freezes and I don't know why

So this just started happening today, after almost 2 months of playing on this server I started experiencing insane lag spikes and freezes while playing, usually happens when I drive, I know what the problem is probably, but I don't know how to fix it. The problem is that whenever something loads I'm guessing my CPU can't handle it or something like that because when I alt+tab out of the game and check the CPU usage it's at 100% at first glance and then it drops since the game is in idle from that point on. Out of the big city is okay, but once I get back to the city and drive around it's a nightmare, it sometimes cuts my sound out, but I guess it's just that the game freezes. Bear in mind this never happened to me on this computer in general, it just came out of nowhere. So I'm just looking for a fix or any help that would resolve this issue.

My system(Laptop): The laptop name: Acer Nitro 5
GPU: GTX 1650 4GB
CPU: I5-9300H
RAM: 8GB

Fixes I've tried:
-Deleting %temp% files.
-Uninstalling any software that I had installed in the past week.
-Every driver and everything is up to date.
-I bought this laptop like 2 months ago, so it can't be that the thermal paste needs a change.
-Turning every background program off.
-Verifying game integrity of cache

Video of the problem (theres a part in the video that just cuts, so this means the lag even freezes my laptop up):

Edited by Korab_Bagadovic

Hi @Korab_Bagadovic 
What are your laptop specs?
Did you buy the laptop brand new?
What surface do you have the laptop on when you play?

Laptops have a tendency to overheat, windows has a built-in throttle when this happens, It runs in two stages - First stage is to slow applications down, second stage is to power off. When it slows applications down it can cause your game to "Freeze/lag" etc.

The thermal paste wouldn't be an issue here, If you bought the laptop brand new, If it was second hand then yes it could be - Another alternative is that the cooling fans have collected dust, There isn't much room inside a laptop for airflow either, which is why I ask what kind of surface your playing on, An open table is going to provide better cooling than laying on your bed.

If it isn't a cooling issue, then you may perhaps have malware on your Laptop - I would recommend downloading a trial version of malwarebytes here: https://www.malwarebytes.com/ 

This is not an anti-virus, don't confuse it - Malware is designed to bloat up your system - Viruses are a different kettle of fish, but I would run a scan for viruses aswell.

Second port of call would be to download ccleaner here: https://www.ccleaner.com/ - This is a great free program that can help de-clutter your laptop/pc - After deleting junk files, browser history/cookies etc, you can also clean up your registry, It is recommended to make a backup of your registry before deleting anything (I never do, and never had issues) however, it is at your own discretion, not mine to make this back-up.

After running those two programs, do a virus scan with your chosen anti-virus - Avast, AVG, Kaspersky etc.

If after doing all that, and you are still experiencing issues, then the other alternative is windows own background processes etc.

I would look at windows game bar, and disabling that, along with windows game mode (You actually get more FPS disabling windows game mode, however it may help if your having issues ).

Depending on your recording software you use, I would recommend turning off shadowplay or AMD's equiv if you have them and don't use them, PlaysTV can also slow you down quite a bit and uses a lot of resources, personally I use OBS Studio - But again these all use extra resources, Hence why I was asking your system specs, to record and play at the same time, It's recommended to have around 16gb of Ram.

I say this with relative experience, I have my own community for gaming, and often help people choose parts etc for custom builds, fix and build desktops/laptops, I am also a programmer and server administrator - With your OP, It is hard to assume what the problem is, so if you reply after trying these things, and they didn't help, I would be happy to help you further if possible, but will need more information.

1 hour ago, Nightranger said:

Hi @Korab_Bagadovic 
What are your laptop specs?
Did you buy the laptop brand new?
What surface do you have the laptop on when you play?

Laptops have a tendency to overheat, windows has a built-in throttle when this happens, It runs in two stages - First stage is to slow applications down, second stage is to power off. When it slows applications down it can cause your game to "Freeze/lag" etc.

The thermal paste wouldn't be an issue here, If you bought the laptop brand new, If it was second hand then yes it could be - Another alternative is that the cooling fans have collected dust, There isn't much room inside a laptop for airflow either, which is why I ask what kind of surface your playing on, An open table is going to provide better cooling than laying on your bed.

If it isn't a cooling issue, then you may perhaps have malware on your Laptop - I would recommend downloading a trial version of malwarebytes here: https://www.malwarebytes.com/ 

This is not an anti-virus, don't confuse it - Malware is designed to bloat up your system - Viruses are a different kettle of fish, but I would run a scan for viruses aswell.

Second port of call would be to download ccleaner here: https://www.ccleaner.com/ - This is a great free program that can help de-clutter your laptop/pc - After deleting junk files, browser history/cookies etc, you can also clean up your registry, It is recommended to make a backup of your registry before deleting anything (I never do, and never had issues) however, it is at your own discretion, not mine to make this back-up.

After running those two programs, do a virus scan with your chosen anti-virus - Avast, AVG, Kaspersky etc.

If after doing all that, and you are still experiencing issues, then the other alternative is windows own background processes etc.

I would look at windows game bar, and disabling that, along with windows game mode (You actually get more FPS disabling windows game mode, however it may help if your having issues ).

Depending on your recording software you use, I would recommend turning off shadowplay or AMD's equiv if you have them and don't use them, PlaysTV can also slow you down quite a bit and uses a lot of resources, personally I use OBS Studio - But again these all use extra resources, Hence why I was asking your system specs, to record and play at the same time, It's recommended to have around 16gb of Ram.

I say this with relative experience, I have my own community for gaming, and often help people choose parts etc for custom builds, fix and build desktops/laptops, I am also a programmer and server administrator - With your OP, It is hard to assume what the problem is, so if you reply after trying these things, and they didn't help, I would be happy to help you further if possible, but will need more information.

Laptop specs are:

Gpu: gtx 1650 4gb

Cpu: i5-9300h

8gb ram

I bought this laptop brand new about 2 months ago. 

I play on a wooden table with good surface area, it's open. 

I've scanned my PC using avast and nothing came up. 

Ccleaner i havent run, but i dont thing it will help. 

I tried playing with shadow play off and its the same. And i dont recors all the time, i just clip the last 7 minutes of gameplay and thats it. 

P. S. I posted this on a subreddit and people told me that it might be the new GPU driver update, but im not sure. 

16 minutes ago, Korab_Bagadovic said:

I've scanned my PC using avast and nothing came up. 

Ccleaner i havent run, but i dont thing it will help. 

I tried playing with shadow play off and its the same. And i dont recors all the time, i just clip the last 7 minutes of gameplay and thats it. 

Okay - Run Malwarebytes - It's not an anti-virus and will find things anti-virus programs won't, Malware
ccleaner is a good program it helps keeps things tidy and removes Junk that you yourself wouldn't neccesarily find

Have you looked at windows game mode? Windows DVR? etc...

Shadowplay should be fine then, if you are just recording set parts, but don't run multiple recording stuff at the same time.

Specs seem fine, although Low on RAM.

GPU driver updates, can sometimes cause problems, Instead of doing an express installation when updating, always run custom and perform a clean install, Nvidia aren't great when updates come out. So yes this could be a cause, although not necessarily (Depends was it fine before your last update? and did it start after updating? If so then high cause it is your issue

3 hours ago, Nightranger said:

Okay - Run Malwarebytes - It's not an anti-virus and will find things anti-virus programs won't, Malware
ccleaner is a good program it helps keeps things tidy and removes Junk that you yourself wouldn't neccesarily find

Have you looked at windows game mode? Windows DVR? etc...

Shadowplay should be fine then, if you are just recording set parts, but don't run multiple recording stuff at the same time.

Specs seem fine, although Low on RAM.

GPU driver updates, can sometimes cause problems, Instead of doing an express installation when updating, always run custom and perform a clean install, Nvidia aren't great when updates come out. So yes this could be a cause, although not necessarily (Depends was it fine before your last update? and did it start after updating? If so then high cause it is your issue

Okay I just ran malwayreBytes and there were 15 threats found, some of them are just unwanted registry files, but some were these things called Adware, I'm guessing these are the type of viruses  you get from ad pop ups or something. I'll see if that fixed the problem in a bit. 

35 minutes ago, Korab_Bagadovic said:

Okay I just ran malwayreBytes and there were 15 threats found, some of them are just unwanted registry files, but some were these things called Adware, I'm guessing these are the type of viruses  you get from ad pop ups or something. I'll see if that fixed the problem in a bit. 

Adware, Is in effect a tracking cookie for adverts (How do you think Microsoft sends you adverts that are relevant, Or searched for something a few days ago and it just randomly pops up as an advert... That's Adware) - However, Some forms can be malicous yes, disguised as adware.

Did the problems occur before or after a recent GPU driver update? - It is worth investigating that, If it was after, I would recommend uninstalling your GPU driver, and doing a fresh clean install of the driver, If it doesn't work you can rule that out.

2 minutes ago, Nightranger said:

Adware, Is in effect a tracking cookie for adverts (How do you think Microsoft sends you adverts that are relevant, Or searched for something a few days ago and it just randomly pops up as an advert... That's Adware) - However, Some forms can be malicous yes, disguised as adware.

Did the problems occur before or after a recent GPU driver update? - It is worth investigating that, If it was after, I would recommend uninstalling your GPU driver, and doing a fresh clean install of the driver, If it doesn't work you can rule that out.

I updated the driver on the 12th and the lags started to occur on the 15th so no idea

12 minutes ago, Nightranger said:

I just played the game for a while and still no fix. Should I just reinstall my OS by keeping all the files?

40 minutes ago, Chronius420 said:

just reinstall the os it will help.

How would this help other than losing potential files etc that you may not wish to lose? and waste time re-installing?
I mean, It would solve it short term, but then it could be a faulty driver, which a re-install wouldn't help, as the problem would persist even after

10 minutes ago, Nightranger said:

How would this help other than losing potential files etc that you may not wish to lose? and waste time re-installing?
I mean, It would solve it short term, but then it could be a faulty driver, which a re-install wouldn't help, as the problem would persist even after

Oh, the resetting didnt work, something went wrong and it didnt reset my PC, alright back to troubleshooting haha, so you think I should reinstall the GPU driver? 

1 hour ago, Korab_Bagadovic said:

Oh, the resetting didnt work, something went wrong and it didnt reset my PC, alright back to troubleshooting haha, so you think I should reinstall the GPU driver? 

Just to clarify, He wasn't talking about resetting, but re-installing Windows, It would probably work, but not very helpful here...

And yes, uninstall and re-install your GPU driver - Restart your laptop after uninstalling, and do a clean install

1 hour ago, Nightranger said:

One friend told me that i might have a botnet on my laptop, but i doubt its that cause my cpu usage while on idle is fine

7 hours ago, Nightranger said:

5 hours ago, Nightranger said:

Theres a good program on Steam called Driver Booster, It's actually really good for updating drivers

I updated every driver, reinstalled the nvidia drivers still no luck. 

Edit: Also ran ccleaner in all the options possible and still nothing.