Bala

Remove 'Reckless Operation' from Speed Cams

I'm sure there have been quite a few suggestion threads about removing speed cameras and all this business. Full disclosure, I don't like them and haven't ever liked them. I can see why they were implemented, in areas like the Bank but for the most part, it's an OOC solution to an IC problem in my eyes.

Anyway, to the suggestion, pretty simple but remove the Reckless Operation charge from the Speed Cameras and just leave the 1st/2nd/3rd degree speeding fines on there.

The reasoning for this

• The original jail time for this was 45 minutes, which was very excessive. It was reduced like 20(?) some time after and more recently, reduced to 10.
    10 minutes just makes the charge itself meaningless. That's a toilet and get something to drink break. We get people surrendering for 1-2 of these every day at Mission Row and in my view, on a practical level, it's the worst type of arrest. People don't want to roleplay it out, but you still have to do the procedure. You put them in the cell, go back upstairs and a couple minutes later, poof they are back and learned nothing.
  • The speed camera adding charges takes away the ability for PD to make independent decisions regarding traffic violations. At least in this instance anyway, we can't remove it if you aren't a Lieutenant+and you don't want to bother PD/SD command with the charge because it's not significant enough. Yes, if you go over x amount of speed, you get the charge and you definitely were driving but no person is actually seeing you do it.
  • The lack of awareness that you can actually go to jail for excessive speeding. Every single day, you will get people that are getting reckless operation for the first time and they can't understand why when they have paid their tickets, they have to go to jail as well.
  • I'm not sure it actually solves the speeding issue because people still get these charges and don't give a fuck anyway.

This is just my opinion of course, I can't speak for any other cop but I like to feel like i've earned an arrest when I charge someone. These Reckless Operation charges just make you feel a bit like a Librarian that is fining someone for bringing back their books late. To me, it's not police work.

• Like 1

I understand what your saying but its not like the speed cameras are everywhere. Most players memorize where their are located and if they zoom past them I would say its their fault. The reckless charge in my opinion is good so player know that if they speed at those speeds they will be wanted. Also, it creates a lot of rp opportunities for PD and SD who might pull someone over of having a reckless charge and the person decides to start a pursuit with us. I know in game it might feel petty but irl if someone was speeding like that it would be a huge issue due to risk of endangering the public and I think PD and SD need to act in a realistic manner to it.

I feel the same way regarding this. I think its fine to place a ticket and a fine for someone speeding but I don't think a script should be allowed to jail someone. Especially because a script can't see the context of the situation. If you we're charged by a camera IRL you would be able to bring it to court if you had a valid reason you might get away with it. Right now whether you're saving someone or running from an assailant you will still be charged. If you we're pulled over by cops you could explain it to them and they won't fine you if you had a valid reason. With cameras there is no negotiation.

+1