AbsoluteBadonkers

Toolkits and partial vehicle health

Being rammed is not fun, and when your car breaks down, sometimes an admin has to send a Mechanic to you because they never accept your requests. If something like a toolkit exists, then it would alleviate the pain of waiting for a mechanic to decide to take your request

The toolkit, if implemented, would not just fix your car. When bought from a store, it has the ability to partially repair your car. As you drive after using the toolkit, your cars health slowly lowers, giving you a chance to drive to a mechanics shop instead of waiting 20 minutes for one to respond. It is one use only and you can only use 1 each time your car breaks down. This wouldn't completely throw away the mechanics job though, as sometimes the amount of vehicle health partially restored would not be enough to drive to a shop, so you could at least get a little closer to one before requesting a mechanic

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

+1 

This would still provide relevance to the mechanics as you would still need to get your car fixed, but would give a temporary solution to get your car to the mechanic shop, or at least most of the way there...especially if the car stalls out in the middle of no where. 

Additionally there are many times where people's cars break and people leave their vehicles on the sidewalks or in the middle of the road. This would give crims the opportunity to break into the vehicle and repair it enough to drive with the toolkit if people make the choice to leave their vehicle in the middle of the road like that. 

I would full on support this suggestion as it would benefit the server and the community a lot since it would be converted into a key feature. Don't know what the management views are about this but I would like to get into a simple explanation of how this could work without disruption any current mechanic situation.

Toolkits should work on cars that are totaled and won't start up obviously. Any cars that are damaged but just stopped temporarily due to slight damages should not have toolkit working on them. Obtaining toolkit can also be made a fun time, just make construction workers find screws and bolts on the ground after they complete an incident, doesn't mean they'll find on every incident. Nuts and bolts can be an item, screws can be an item, wrench can be an item. So these three items combined can be a toolkit. Make it craftable by construction workers or by mechanics because it would make sense. Then there would be so much potential roleplay that will be increasing depending upon this and a new way of cashflow into the market. Make sure the toolkits price won't cross around 300-400$ (meaning each item shouldn't be crossing 50$) and won't heal the car more than 300 damage. Once the toolkit partially repairs the vehicle, then we can slowly get our car to a mechanic.

Easy way, get a new type of business called toolstore and include these in them so people could simply buy. But this would just make the rich, richer. 

+1 This is an awesome idea, and can possibly add more RP opportunities.

On 9/12/2022 at 11:14 PM, Aieos said:

-1 we added the ability to push cars for a reason. It's good rp and works just fine.

Sometimes when you are pushing the car, it doesnt wanna turn AT ALL even though you try multiple times it wont turn, and its quite annoying.

+1

While I understand the argument that "we added pushing cars" I think it's not a fair assessment @Aieos . There's many times out in the county that nobody is working at Bayview. Do you expect me to push a car all the way to LSC from the northern part of the county? Law Enforcement doesn't have time to randomly grab a flatbed and tow people around because their cars are broken down either. Just as in real life you can repair your car (which requires learning a skill -- could be done at our new LS University for a fee of course), you should be able to do the same in the city.  

Edited by Austynnnn

+/- 1

+1 Because I would love to be able to just whip out a tool kit and repair my car because I am one shitty driver. 

-1 Because it would basically turn everyone in the server into a mechanic. Everyone would just magically know how to fix their car which doesn't make total sense. I like the idea of having to go through the college to get a "skill" to be able to do it but it would just require so much hassle to do.

Also it would basically completely remove LSC & Bayviews /mechanic feature which just completely cuts out a whole division at LSC and just gets rid of part of their roleplay.

image.png.a171013814036c5a55e5a397c8d77875.png

+1 (but with edits)

I was going to suggest this but saw this post so I would like to add onto it!

• This should only work on perma stalled vehicles and should only repair it to like 30%.
  • The cost should be above the average price of mechanics rates.
  • It should be a one time use.
  • It should use a skill check that takes time.
  • Perhaps when the toolbox is used, cap the cars speed to 40 (This would then return to default when fixed by a mechanic).
  • High in weight.

Why? mechanics are very limited at the moment & at certain times of the day and it's not game breaking for players to repair their car to allow it to drive to a mechanic. While the pushing feature is good, it's not viable to push your car from the city to Paleto & vice versa and you still may have to wait for mechanics to be on duty.

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Shadow said:

image.png.a171013814036c5a55e5a397c8d77875.png

+1 (but with edits)

I was going to suggest this but saw this post so I would like to add onto it!

• This should only work on perma stalled vehicles and should only repair it to like 30%.
  • The cost should be above the average price of mechanics rates.
  • It should be a one time use.
  • It should use a skill check that takes time.
  • Perhaps when the toolbox is used, cap the cars speed to 40 (This would then return to default when fixed by a mechanic).
  • High in weight.

Why? mechanics are very limited at the moment & at certain times of the day and it's not game breaking for players to repair their car to allow it to drive to a mechanic. While the pushing feature is good, it's not viable to push your car from the city to Paleto & vice versa and you still may have to wait for mechanics to be on duty.

+1 to this - same concept as the Jerry can. I work in automotive service oocly and we have cars constantly coming in that are fixed with a "bandaid"  or a temporary fix until they can make it to the shop. I do not see an issue with making a COL change so that people don't have to spend 30 + minutes pushing a car to the closest shop.