Kaizure

Looking for a certain type of RP, curious to see who's interested

Hey folks,

So I'm only just recently deciding to return to Eclipse after being gone for a little over a year. Prior to my departure, I played an EMT named Drake Frost and a less than stable character named Flea Mooncalf. (Before anyone asks: mooncalf is a real word. It means 'grossly deformed and mentally defective person').

I'd be surprised if anyone remembered either of my characters. Drake was married to his job and barely socialized outside of work, and Flea was a cannibal who I only RP'd once or twice to give MD/PD something interesting to do (and/or scare the hell out of them).

There have since been a few updates since the last time I played, one notably being the bit about gross RP and requiring consent. My ability to use Flea has been reduced because of this rule, but he's still a lot of fun when I get to use him. I use a specific voice, I have disturbing character features, and all in all he's a scary presence. The issue now is: I can't just drive up to some random person and start role playing anymore because his existence is... well, it's gross. So I need to find folks who would like to RP with him from time to time.

I don't do anything TOO wild mind you, because even I have limits... but Flea allows me to do stuff outside the norm and mix things up a little to give people a more unique RP experience. So if folks are interested in meeting him, let me know and I'll practice my voice again.

As for Drake... splints. So many splints. But you know, I can look past the splints and the bandages and the ice packs and all of that... the only thing that really bothers me is the whole /do thing. I feel like it's an unnecessary extra layer to RP. When I do something like "/me wraps the bandage around the person's leg in an effort to stop the bleeding," usually what follows is "/do does it stop bleeding?" And the other player answers yes or no... which is boring for the other person. If I'm doing medical RP with someone, I would like for them to be able to RP back. So instead of playing the yes or no game with people, I'd prefer RP to go something like: "/me bandages the wound in an effort to stop the bleeding" and the other person does something like: "/me writhes in pain because the medic forgot to give him any form of pain killers. The patient thrashing about causes the wound to aggravate and the bleeding increases."

I mean it is a role play server after all.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that everyone's first language isn't English and medical rp isn't everyone's first choice of rp, but it would be nice if I could start to find interested folks who I can rely on for actual RP instead of relying on /do for yes or no RP. The other option is just more interesting, and it makes the RP more fun for the patient.

So... yeah. Do either of these things appeal to anyone? I had trouble finding it the last time I played, so I don't see any harm in venturing out and asking in a forum post. You can hit me up in a private message on here, or you can poke me on the Discord. I'm pretty easy to find.

- Kaizure

8. Metagaming (MG)

• Metagaming is the act of relaying IC information through any method not considered IC that has the potential to change current or future roleplay scenarios or using that information. 

• Mixing IC and OOC information without any benefit is a minor MG offense. For example, a player uses IC chat to call someone by their player ID displayed above their head.

• Players may not have any interaction or knowledge from their alternate characters.

• NAY 2

14 hours ago, Lyosha said:

8. Metagaming (MG)

• Metagaming is the act of relaying IC information through any method not considered IC that has the potential to change current or future roleplay scenarios or using that information. 

• Mixing IC and OOC information without any benefit is a minor MG offense. For example, a player uses IC chat to call someone by their player ID displayed above their head.

• Players may not have any interaction or knowledge from their alternate characters.

I've been role playing for 15 years. I know what meta gaming is. My post is not meta gaming.

This post here to see if I can find people who are interested in these two kinds of RP so we can set up an encounter. It's not meta gaming to set up an encounter or plan an RP event.

6 hours ago, Kaizure said:

I've been role playing for 15 years. I know what meta gaming is. My post is not meta gaming.

This post here to see if I can find people who are interested in these two kinds of RP so we can set up an encounter. It's not meta gaming to set up an encounter or plan an RP event.

Well if you are planning on doing something IC,then you shouldn't be discussing about it OOC !

2 minutes ago, Lyosha said:

Well if you are planning on doing something IC,then you shouldn't be discussing about it OOC !

You can discuss planning an encounter without it being metagaming. Let me explain:

Suppose I find someone on here who wants to meet Flea. They see what I wrote about the character being a psycho who eats people and they're like "I wanna give my character some trauma." So we decide to set up a scenario where our characters meet. We decide to meet at the beach, but we don't disclose what either person will be doing, what they look like or any of that stuff. We just say 'beach'. So then our characters show up and there are like 10 other people around. We have no idea who the person is, so let the RP commence.

Metagaming would be:

"Hey, are you Flea the cannibal?" - How in the world would anyone have that knowledge? Nobody would. This would be blatant metagaming because you are using knowledge you gained from the Forum and are using it in your character's interaction.

Metagaming would NOT be:

Your character approaches someone who is acting strangely, and they stick out in the crowd like a sore thumb. You approach and ask: "Hey, is everything alright?" And in a creepy voice the character replies: "I am well..." - Heyo, you found Flea. But you never mentioned anything about knowing who he is, what his name is or the type of character he is. Metagaming avoided!

The closest thing you could say to being metagaming is agreeing to meet in a specified spot... but you can legit come up with ANY realistic reason for your character to be at the beach. Yours is going to get fresh air, mine is going to find someone to snack on, and the pier has plenty of snacks. Boom, in-character reason found and easily justified. It's not like we're agreeing to meet up and perform a robbery, or agreeing to meet up and shoot up a place... we're setting up a situation where two characters can interact, just like how you might set up a time for a character to come to a spot to conduct an IC interview for a job.

Again... I've been at this for 15 years. I know the rules and I know what a clear breach is.

• Like 1

Another example of metagaming:

https://forum.eclipse-rp.net/forum/30-character-stories/

Take a look at aaaaaaaaaaaaany of the characters listed here. If you met them in-game, would you greet them by name without having met them? Would you make references to their past after you read about them on the forum? Then yeah, that's metagaming.

You can read information about a character OOC, but then not use it IC. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having OOC knowledge as long as you can stop yourself from using that knowledge IC.

So setting up an encounter at the beach? You can easily give an IC reason for your character to be somewhere without IC saying something like "I'm here because I read on a forum that this was the place to be."