Lacoste

GPU usage drops at PIER and HE

Issue Being Reported: Low GPU usage causing fps drops

Date and Time of Issue (provide timezone): 10/02/2020

Your characters name: Steve Harris

Other player(s) involved: N/A

Evidence and/or notes worth mentioning: As the tittle says that im currently experiencing GPU usage drop at Pier or HE while on other places im consistently getting 90-99% utilization here is the example of the issue that im currently facing (this picture is taken at pier) as you can see GPU usage is at 51% and having 67 fps image.png.b862bd7b73fe139579890c1d816d586e.png 

I will just give a list of options. I do know some are VERY unliekly, but just in case.

Possible solutions/issue's causing this could be:

- Drivers
Always update drivers when having such issue's

- Update WIndows

- Unstable overclocks?
I doubt this, but in case you did some OC yous hould check it

- Overheating VRM?
Unsure what exact GPU model you have, maybe it's known for this issue over time.

- Windows Power plans
Some settings in Windows power management can screw up GPU usage. 
Go to control panel > power options and you should get a list under "Choose or costomize a power plan" looking similair to this (Ignore the AMD plans, you dont have those with Intel)
65d338a0fcfbbe57cce89d50575cfa72.png

Click on the blue text next to the preset (named "Change plan settings" in english)

change-settings-for-the-plan

Click on "Change advanced power settings"

windows-power-options

Scroll down to "PCI Express", expand it and expand "Link state power management". Then choose "off" and click "apply".
Restart might be required, just to be sure. 

NVidia itself also has a power management option you could try in the control pannel of Nvidia:
nvidia-power-management-mode

For the rest I would recommend performing some benchmarks maybe. You can use a Free Demo of 3DMark on steam and run several tests. Try to troubleshoot and find where the issue is. Is it the GPU? Game? Drivers? etc etc.
It's hard to tell exactly what it could be from this info imo.

I will just give a list of options. I do know some are VERY unliekly, but just in case.

Possible solutions/issue's causing this could be:

- Drivers
Always update drivers when having such issue's

- Update WIndows

- Unstable overclocks?
I doubt this, but in case you did some OC yous hould check it

- Overheating VRM?
Unsure what exact GPU model you have, maybe it's known for this issue over time.

- Windows Power plans
Some settings in Windows power management can screw up GPU usage. 
Go to control panel > power options and you should get a list under "Choose or costomize a power plan" looking similair to this (Ignore the AMD plans, you dont have those with Intel)
65d338a0fcfbbe57cce89d50575cfa72.png

Click on the blue text next to the preset (named "Change plan settings" in english)

change-settings-for-the-plan

Click on "Change advanced power settings"

windows-power-options

Scroll down to "PCI Express", expand it and expand "Link state power management". Then choose "off" and click "apply".
Restart might be required, just to be sure. 

NVidia itself also has a power management option you could try in the control pannel of Nvidia:
nvidia-power-management-mode

For the rest I would recommend performing some benchmarks maybe. You can use a Free Demo of 3DMark on steam and run several tests. Try to troubleshoot and find where the issue is. Is it the GPU? Game? Drivers? etc etc.
It's hard to tell exactly what it could be from this info imo.

I've done these things that are mentioned above and run several benchmark like Firestrike, Furmark, Heaven Benchmark and others. Pretty much i got no issues on these benchmark and yes i got my GPU overclocked and i could say it is stable since i got no issues with other benchmark so I was wondering if this is a game issue or what... its just so hard to identify.

Are you having the same result as mine tho?

I've done these things that are mentioned above and run several benchmark like Firestrike, Furmark, Heaven Benchmark and others. Pretty much i got no issues on these benchmark and yes i got my GPU overclocked and i could say it is stable since i got no issues with other benchmark so I was wondering if this is a game issue or what... its just so hard to identify.

Are you having the same result as mine tho?

(Sorry for my drawing skills)
Here is a test I did. The graph is pretty long. This is basically from bayview, over the west freeway heading south (where I crashed in paleto) till the absolute middle of the pier.
6a3e72a486baaca19db3a205bd8e6445.png

I do not have the same issue you state. 

I run an Asus 1070 Strix btw. 

DId you notice this issue before or is it something new for you? And do you have any mods? Like visual mods or something?

PS. this is the whole graph filled with the data of standing on the pier the whole time:
85605fd98659bdbbfe33355335f5c3cc.png

Edited by Yputi

To me it seems likely that all of those vehicles being in one place is over-taxing your CPU which is causing a bottleneck.

I've indeed PM'ed him on Discord and aimed in this direction. I also suggested using some sort of fps limit to see if that takes stress of the cpu when having a lower resolution.

GTA V only makes use of true cores - it does not properly take advantage of hyperthreading / SMT, thus the lower CPU usage percent. If you have a look at your actual core usage, you'll see your first few cores are near 100%, and the rest are near idle. If the CPU is not able to keep up with frame rendering, then the GPU usage will drop.

• Upvote 1

Solved. The issue is due to the CPU bottlenecking the GPU, as seen in the screen shots.

If you have 100% CPU usage in games and low GPU usage i.e. (well below 99%) then you have a CPU bottleneck, and you need to get a better and powerful processor for your gaming PC. For an ideal situation, your CPU usage should remain in the 60% to 80% range (up to 90%), and GPU usage at 99% or 100%

A temporary workaround for this problem is to raise your game resolution to highest if you haven’t done it already. This will cause your GPU to work more and it will have much higher utilization than before.