branning12

Advice for Roleplaying Multiple Characters

What's going on folks, I've been apart of the "GTA RP" community for about 10 years now and feel I've ran into a bit of a problem. 

Most of my roleplaying history was SAMP RP servers, so text RP is one of my strong suits. I can recall about five different characters, which were all very different ranging from race, background, and their flaws/personalities.

Moving to Eclipse, voice RP was so foreign to me and at times very nerve-racking, coming up with vocals to a character and messing with accents and all that fun stuff. Just making my character sound and look unique, which leads me to my question.

"How do you guys adapt/become more comfortable when developing a new character?"

• Like 1

From someone who has 5 characters, I would suggest setting up a day to day schedule if you have time to devote weekly active hours. All of my characters are "trolls" to go around and goof on but if you want to develop two or mains, id suggest above what I said. Best of luck, its a challenge but fun to play on multiple!

• Like 2

when i came back to the server after leaving early 2019, i made a new character. You just have to take your time and see how the character develops, it kinda comes naturally. You'll meet some new people, and some you've met on other characters. New RP will come with it, the only thing you need to focus on is whether the character is crim or legal, the rest comes without effort. As for the voice aspect, dont be afraid to use it and have fun with it. Don't be nervous, no one is gonna judge you for your voice unless you are one of the young kids that spam VOIP and scream through their mics. Just remember the fact that you and everyone else in the server are there to have fun. 

Good luck 🙂 

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat with you. I've been role playing for 15 years, but it's always been text-based. Voice RP is very foreign and it's hard to really act out how my character is feeling. I often switch to text chat because I'm not the best voice actor in the world. My default tone is monotone.

I'm not sure how helpful my advice will be to you, but I'll give it a shot. I mostly do fantasy and sci-fi RP, so being modern and 'normal' doesn't come as easily to me as being abnormal.

With my main character Drake, I play him as your average joe who wants to make a living, but also wants to help people. I'm able to use my regular voice without worrying too much about accents or modifying my voice at all.

But my second character, who I call Flea, is a character who is severely deformed, extremely sick (mentally and physically) and I use a voice that sounds like something you'd hear from an oldies horror movie with mad scientists... or gollum/stitch as so many people call me. He's a horror character designed to scare people and provide RP outside of the norm, but because he's so... out there, it's hard to RP him on the regular. He's kinda situational, like a random NPC event, rather than being someone you'll see roaming around daily.

Since Flea isn't a character I play regularly, it gives me a chance to give my voice a break while also keeping him as an interesting character. I love the character, but he's really only someone I use when I think people could use a break from the norm.

So there's my two cents, for what it's worth. My voice is terrible for improvising accents, so I don't bother with that stuff... but changing my pitch to sound creepy? Easy as pie. So do what you think you can handle voice-wise, then make a character that suits the voice.

• Like 1

I've been roleplaying almost 10 years as well now since SA-MP and ofc text based, It really depends how you roleplaying your character, how your character behaving, what is the goal and how you gonna manage the story for the character as well, i've been roleplaying 3 character, my first character is American-Indonesian so i dont leave the indonesia culture on the first character since im indonesian as well IRL, 2nd character is pure chinese character so everytime i RPing in voice i always talk using chinese accent, in textwise i always doing the accent thing on /do so people would understand how my character behave, my 3rd character is physco sounds like crazy person that live in prison, the character behavior is crazy and always laugh randomly and gore af. its all really depends on you and how you gonna develop the character's goal and behavior.

"How do you guys adapt/become more comfortable when developing a new character?

For me, how do i adapt or become more comfortable when developing a new character is by making the character story itself and enjoy the flow and thats it.

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.