Wizzidy

OOC Discussion stigma thoughts?

So I have played a lot of RP servers, a lot of RP games and ive been on this server a couple months now... and something I have noticed here in eclipse is a firm hatred or stigma for OOC talking. Now I understand you should never mix, but the amount of times you get told "Dont talk to me OOC" while asking a question that is "OOC" to get a better handle on the situation is unprecedented. So to better help me understand where this comes from I would like everyone's honest opinions on it, is there next to no situation where OOC clarification can be utilized to enrich gameplay? Or is this just a trend that people have developed to justify a lack of clarity. I feel like OOC conversation happening from time to time can enrich the experience by giving context where there is none, but I want to know what you guys think :).

The way it works here is people ask OOC but RP related questions via the use of /do.

ex. /do Where would your gun be?

If you were to say /b Where would your gun be?

It would serve the same purpose, but it's generally frowned upon because people usually use /b to complain about something that is in-character. Such as a person being arrested going /b I didn't do anything wrong.

17 minutes ago, alexalex303 said:

The way it works here is people ask OOC but RP related questions via the use of /do.

ex. /do Where would your gun be?

If you were to say /b Where would your gun be?

It would serve the same purpose, but it's generally frowned upon because people usually use /b to complain about something that is in-character. Such as a person being arrested going /b I didn't do anything wrong.

Mmmm I never thought of that... I always feel like /do still has to be IC so asking about motivation and stuff that I probably wouldnt know out of curiosity or just to get a better grasp felt like it should be OOC... but yea I guess maybe it evolved this way because of misuse?

8 minutes ago, Scott Cleverley said:

I have no problem if someone talks to ooc to non related things although if you interact only rply with someone and they take it to /ooc it's annoying af.

Hmmm but I usually RP with /me and voice, and use /ooc to ask questions sometimes or to clarify what my words mean... but it gets a lot of hate 😞

4 minutes ago, Wizzidy said:

Hmmm but I usually RP with /me and voice, and use /ooc to ask questions sometimes or to clarify what my words mean... but it gets a lot of hate 😞

Well often if it's active rp like robbery/police pursuit and so on, people hate it because /ooc stalls the situation while their friends or just people in general comes and starts doing some shady shit, the thing is that people don't get that IRL you wouldn't pull at the scene and start doing stuff but here as example try to pull someone at the bank everyone will run at you and start talking shit it's just people mentality in general, so people just want to finish situations as quickly as possible since typing and so on already takes up time.

1 hour ago, Wizzidy said:

So I have played a lot of RP servers, a lot of RP games and ive been on this server a couple months now... and something I have noticed here in eclipse is a firm hatred or stigma for OOC talking. Now I understand you should never mix, but the amount of times you get told "Dont talk to me OOC" while asking a question that is "OOC" to get a better handle on the situation is unprecedented. So to better help me understand where this comes from I would like everyone's honest opinions on it, is there next to no situation where OOC clarification can be utilized to enrich gameplay? Or is this just a trend that people have developed to justify a lack of clarity. I feel like OOC conversation happening from time to time can enrich the experience by giving context where there is none, but I want to know what you guys think :).

I am a part of the PD faction, and I myself use /pm to further in-depth a roleplay scenario time to time as I am part of the investigations branch. For example I would run fingerprint scans on items left behind by suspects, and /pm them a /do if their fingerprints would be there etc. To my knowledge it is allowed, but some people simply refuse to RP with you that way. They either don't reply at all, say you got the wrong ID or they say its metagaming. I haven't tried reporting anyone for it because I'm not sure in which category it would fall under, but I definitely know what you are talking about.

5 hours ago, Scott Cleverley said:

Well often if it's active rp like robbery/police pursuit and so on, people hate it because /ooc stalls the situation while their friends or just people in general comes and starts doing some shady shit, the thing is that people don't get that IRL you wouldn't pull at the scene and start doing stuff but here as example try to pull someone at the bank everyone will run at you and start talking shit it's just people mentality in general, so people just want to finish situations as quickly as possible since typing and so on already takes up time.

Yea I feel like robberies in this server get really short handed because they are afraid I am stalling... I mean I have slow typing to begin with because of partial hand paralysis... so it gets really nerve racking when people don't respect the (Typing...) thing... beause I am going as fast as I can, and I would also like to RP something other than kneeling.... but I dont think there is any rule against it, it is just the mentality I see a lot... Wishing people would slow down... if somone comes in on a robbery they should respect the RP scenario too... but mostly its just rush rush rush...

4 hours ago, LeftSharkie said:

I am a part of the PD faction, and I myself use /pm to further in-depth a roleplay scenario time to time as I am part of the investigations branch. For example I would run fingerprint scans on items left behind by suspects, and /pm them a /do if their fingerprints would be there etc. To my knowledge it is allowed, but some people simply refuse to RP with you that way. They either don't reply at all, say you got the wrong ID or they say its metagaming. I haven't tried reporting anyone for it because I'm not sure in which category it would fall under, but I definitely know what you are talking about.

yea I dont think bad RP is against the rules, just frowned upon.... I just wish people would treat this more as a tandem writing prompt instead of just GTA robbery mod lol...

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.