AdamWong

Whitelist or fork

Should EclipseRP Have a white list?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should EclipseRP Have a white list?

So, I've been taking a backseat and kinda watching the discord/forums for about a week now and noticed that like I said would happen people are slowly getting frustrated by the low quality RP and how much there is, and some people are also getting frustrated with the lack of english in the server for example fresh off the press of the PD is this little gem

https://i.gyazo.com/8bb4f6f62ad5e1107c36c7361096ab12.jpg

This is one of many situations and one of the few someone actually reported I bet, most just get angry in discord. Many people have debated a whitelist on discord for a long time, and me and a few people currently on discord are curious to see how many would want such a server, a whitelisted server means heavier vetting on newcomers and will force many issues to be resolved before they start such as a language barrier, if you force them to come onto discord voip for a basic conversation something as easy as that that would take maybe a minute tops.

The RP rules should also be revised in my opinion rules such as;

1. There should be a perma ban for anyone unable to speak english on request by admin in game if someone reports them for being unable to RP properly (negated by a white list I understand but a decent addition for pre-whitelist).

2. You HAVE to stop for police unless you have a valid RP reason to like a warrant or a weapon without a license or you mugging someone for example.

3. You should be unable to roam in groups bigger than 6/7 without a valid RP reason as well (remember the massive server shitshow where all those people were going around continually mugging).

Overall I think the intentions of some players are very negative on the server, people failing to RP or just ignoring a situation such as mugging or having a gun pointed at them (you should have to fear a gun if you don't have a weapon IMO) and there's too much chaos going on for supposed "civilians" if you are driving a truck at 100/110 Km/h through a city? How's that doing any sort of RP, smashing into cars then driving off like nothing happened even after flying through your windshield? how's that RP?

We need a white list and more RP rules, we need more ways to weed out bad players before they cause problems and we need to do it before it drives off people who enjoyed the server, as like I say, over the last week I've seen a lot of people stop playing and a lot more people getting pissed off in discord.

• Upvote 5

My idea;

Server 1 (Public): 100 slots, prove yourself, testing server for all updates, still keep it admin'd, English and use light-medium rp.

Server 2 (white-listed): 200 slots, medium-heavy RP, failure to break rules risks having to play on server 1, all English and we know everyone on there wants to RP.

Role-play on this server with the amount of tools we have is just getting worse each day. At least if people crash they should get out, role-play and call for a mechanic. Literally have not seen a single person do that yet.

The server doesn't have enough members for a whitelist, the more members = more advertising. I admit that that RP needs to be enforced and I'm pretty sure the admin team will deal with it. For right now, if you see a player breaking a rule - just gather adequate evidence and report them on the forum. I know it's frustrating but every new thing has problems.

White listing would be fun if we have a bigger player base.

The server doesn't have enough members for a whitelist, the more members = more advertising. I admit that that RP needs to be enforced and I'm pretty sure the admin team will deal with it. For right now, if you see a player breaking a rule - just gather adequate evidence and report them on the forum. I know it's frustrating but every new thing has problems.

White listing would be fun if we have a bigger player base.

1. The server has enough members to be whitelisted, the quality of the server/RP should be enough to make people want to play not just the sheer number of people, you can buy a load of shitty PC parts lump them together still won't make it better quality than spending time and effort getting better quality parts.

2. The problem is you can evade police with no RP reason, you can hit and run with no repurcussion as long as they don't kill you the car and fuck off with no issue and it's pinned as a civilian matter you either have to chase them or call the police... I disagree with that and a lot of others do as well in real life if you are in a road accident do you just casually drive off? No you don't. I get this is a game but it would make people stop speeding constantly in the city.

also as a third point but not really, I wonder how many people quit due to issues listed above before now, every day I see people complaining about quality of RP but nothing changes, light RP is just an excuse for those who just want to race around and get cash faster imo.

Edited by Guest

My idea;

Server 1 (Public): 100 slots, prove yourself, testing server for all updates, still keep it admin'd, English and use light-medium rp.

Server 2 (white-listed): 200 slots, medium-heavy RP, failure to break rules risks having to play on server 1, all English and we know everyone on there wants to RP.

Role-play on this server with the amount of tools we have is just getting worse each day. At least if people crash they should get out, role-play and call for a mechanic. Literally have not seen a single person do that yet.

This ^ - maybe we can alter the slots but in general I think 100-slot public server and a 200 slot private server is ideal.

My history tells me one thing, RP grows with time. If you have a small core hard core rpers then the rest will get educated by them. But currently I have a lack of interaction with the rest of the player base. There are 100 people around and I only see them around the pier fishing not doing anything. Once we get those people past the startup phase I think the RP will improve, even with the non native english speakers. Stuff like this takes time

• Upvote 3

I love the idea of whitelist instead of randoms being able to join and fuck up the fun

I think pretty much most of the no votes are people who just don't want to RP or fear being found out :') There's literally no reason you wouldn't want better RP and a more structured way of allowing people onto the server, having a whitelist would also MASSIVELY decrease the amount of reports of RDM and DM which would allow the support staff and admins to actually you know, fucking RP from time to time rather than taking a huge amount of /report /admin calls on an evening.

Edited by Guest
  • Upvote 1

So, I've been taking a backseat and kinda watching the discord/forums for about a week now and noticed that like I said would happen people are slowly getting frustrated by the low quality RP and how much there is, and some people are also getting frustrated with the lack of english in the server for example fresh off the press of the PD is this little gem

This is one of many situations and one of the few someone actually reported I bet, most just get angry in discord.

99% chance people are doing this is because there are no other popular servers, and that there is barely an international community, it's mostly English and German based at this time, so they go to an English one as most countries learn it as a second language(except for that case). I don't believe a whitelist is an answer, rules should be made instead, this guy was smart but using Google Translate just to play a server is no way to be playing. How would a whitelist stop these kinds of people as well?

if you force them to come onto discord voip for a basic conversation something as easy as that that would take maybe a minute tops.

I'm from Australian and I wouldn't join a server that required me to speak to someone to 'verify' I can speak English well enough. Sure it takes a minute, but you also have to wait for an admin to be online, and the backlog of players wanting to join will build and there goes all the potential players the server could be receiving.

1. There should be a perma ban for anyone unable to speak english on request by admin in game if someone reports them for being unable to RP properly (negated by a white list I understand but a decent addition for pre-whitelist).

They should be reported for fail-rp if they can't roleplay properly, they can be dealt with that way. If they can't understand you then yes maybe they shouldn't be on the server.

2. You HAVE to stop for police unless you have a valid RP reason to like a warrant or a weapon without a license or you mugging someone for example.

My valid reason is that I don't want a criminal record, why should I be forced to pull over just because I don't carry an illegal weapon or because I haven't recently committed a crime? This is just forcing players into situations created by rules which is a bad way to run a server.

3. You should be unable to roam in groups bigger than 6/7 without a valid RP reason as well (remember the massive server shitshow where all those people were going around continually mugging).

You're basically saying "you can't play with friends and hang around in a group". No. If there is a group of people mugging, LSPD needs to deal with it, if there's none on, they should be hiring. AFAIK for right now, it seemed like they're redoing everything so they're not hiring until that's done.

just ignoring a situation such as mugging or having a gun pointed at them

If they ignore you when you're mugging them, shoot them, you have a reason to. FearRP I'm 50/50 on light rp servers, it's good to have, but then people can say they're roleplaying as some kind of thug so therefore they have a valid reason. This isn't a heavy RP server and I feel you'd like it a lot better on one.

and there's too much chaos going on for supposed "civilians" if you are driving a truck at 100/110 Km/h through a city? How's that doing any sort of RP, smashing into cars then driving off like nothing happened even after flying through your windshield? how's that RP?

That's another situation for LSPD to handle, again this is light rp so such expectations aren't here.

over the last week I've seen a lot of people stop playing and a lot more people getting pissed off in discord.

TBH just seems like a lot of lazy people who don't wanna make applications for heavy rp servers, most complaints I see are those who want high standards of roleplay, why come to a light rp server for heavy standards of rp?

Out of this whole thing, the only thing I agree with is getting rid of players who cannot speak English properly or understand it because it is an English server and if they can't understand or read it, they shouldn't be here. As for a system of actually checking? I don't know but if they're caught not understanding then they should be dealt with in some way(maybe a perma ban and they can appeal when they can show they have a better understanding of the English language.)

• Upvote 2

I personally think this is worth a shot and could move the more core players onto that.

Many will probably agree with me that if we roleplay medium to hard and most of the time players do not come forward to roleplay it just gives us a bad experience over and over again.

I got frustrated about that quite recently but I will wait what the upcoming meeting about rules will solve.

But a whitelist could be really nice anyway.

I voted +1

Eclipse is gonna have to define what kind of RP server it is. It's been thrown around everything from light to hard RP, even varying depending on situation. That is not gonna work at all. Somebody will always get frustrated, no matter what.

So Eclipse it will needs to _clearly_ define what it wants to do, otherwise it's gonna grow into a huge mess if popularity rises even more.

Im totally against this. Why are we forcing players to RP a certain standard. This whole light/medium/heavy construct drives away so many players who just want to play a game, but with some extra flavour.

In the most basic possible scenario, there are two types of people who play on this server. Rpers and non rpers. The non rpers are the ones that need to be taken action on. These are the players that just DM/RK/Spam/Cant communicate properly etc. I have no problem with these players being banned indefinitely.

The second group is the RPers. These players follow the basic rules and RP. Now the difference between some RPers is how 'heavily' they RP. This is where I have an issue. People should be able to RP as light as they want, and as heavily as they want. This is not typing simulator where everyone has to do X amount of /me's and do's before what they do is considered 'RP'. The game is still based upon GTA where the base game itself is about doing anything and everything. If this server was hosted on something that isnt as wild as GTA, I can understand. But I came here to play GTA with some extra flavour.

Yes, this is a RP server and I know that, but can't we just all play and RP however we wan't without everyone complaining.

I agree with your first point @Amir , to get rid of NonRPers. That's why the whitelist suggestion or something else. There _needs_ to be a talk on how to start working towards that goal. It's just gonna get more difficult the more we wait around and server gains more and more popularity.

Now, the level of RP.

If Eclipse doesn't define itself how much RP it wants, some people are at an advantage.

Lets say two people draw guns on each other. PersonA is light RPer, PersonB is medium/heavy.

PersonA does "/me pulls out a gun from pants" and starts shooting or even just pulls out a gun without "/me blahblah" and starts shooting, but PersonB expects to get more involved (maybe get "/do you throw down your gun" from PersonA) with "/me, /do" actions before actual shooting and is dead before they can do anything. That is a big problem and needs to be addressed.

It can't be "You decide what level of RP you want based on each individual player".

Edited by Guest

The test to be whitelisted doesn't even have to be as difficult and in-depth as other servers have. As long as we can filter out non-roleplayers effectively then the quality in the server will improve dramatically.

Im totally against this. Why are we forcing players to RP a certain standard. This whole light/medium/heavy construct drives away so many players who just want to play a game, but with some extra flavour.

In the most basic possible scenario, there are two types of people who play on this server. Rpers and non rpers. The non rpers are the ones that need to be taken action on. These are the players that just DM/RK/Spam/Cant communicate properly etc. I have no problem with these players being banned indefinitely.

The second group is the RPers. These players follow the basic rules and RP. Now the difference between some RPers is how 'heavily' they RP. This is where I have an issue. People should be able to RP as light as they want, and as heavily as they want. This is not typing simulator where everyone has to do X amount of /me's and do's before what they do is considered 'RP'. The game is still based upon GTA where the base game itself is about doing anything and everything. If this server was hosted on something that isnt as wild as GTA, I can understand. But I came here to play GTA with some extra flavour.

Yes, this is a RP server and I know that, but can't we just all play and RP however we wan't without everyone complaining.

1. Forcing them to RP would be a start, never said a standard, but a lot of people don't RP WHATSOEVER.

2. RP is easy... like really easy, saying light medium heavy is weird and I don't get why servers do it, people have different opinions on all those different words if you can roleplay with a background and goals etc for your character then that's rp, the only difference is the detail you use in /me /do actions and that's personal preference, as long as it's RP I don't care who does what (again my opinion).

3. You came here to play GTA with extra flavour? so not to RP then... you know, like the whole point of the server? I dunno if you misspoke there but I hope so.

4. How is asking for people to RP properly complaining, smashing into cars and driving off, using paramedics to heal yourself with no RP or even talking to them, avoiding police checks just for luls with no RP reason to do so... fucking stupid, I don't want complete realism but lets face it how often do these scenarios happen ever. People honestly seem more in a rush to save up for a car/house than bothered about RP.

The problem I see in this chat is that people dont mind kicking people that dont rp or fail at their RP attempts.

We all had to start out somewhere, we all remember our first couple RP attempts and we all failed. Kicking or blocking people from entering our community upfront is only going to slow the growth of the quality and quantity of the actual RP on the server. We should take new players by the hands and show them around, help them learn and grow as players of this community.

And yes I agree that people who dont speak the language or outright refuse to RP should be removed, but only AFTER they shown that they are unable to live up to basic standards.

I personally remember playing a game called shimlar ( Shoutout to those who know it ) where all I did was basically RP, I met a guy there who I learned how to RP and he turned out to be one of the best friends I had in that game, had many great adventures with him. If I would have pushed him away and ignored him all of those wonderful memories wouldnt have happened.

So the TLDR is: If we dont welcome new players we deny ourselfs things in the future.

This is one of many situations and one of the few someone actually reported I bet, most just get angry in discord. Many people have debated a whitelist on discord for a long time, and me and a few people currently on discord are curious to see how many would want such a server, a whitelisted server means heavier vetting on newcomers and will force many issues to be resolved before they start such as a language barrier, if you force them to come onto discord voip for a basic conversation something as easy as that that would take maybe a minute tops.

I agree there should be a language test before new players join. Right now, not a day goes by when I see a new player use emojis or confuse OOC chat with IC chat and it's incredibly frustrating.

Strongly agree. I would expect the same treatment if I were to join a Russian or German server. How can we communicate with players who do not speak the same language? Communication is key for all multiplayer games.

This is a terrible idea. Like MrPancakers said, this is forcing players into situations. That's not what RP servers should be doing.

Again, forcing players into RP situations they choose not to be in. If they got IC friends, let them hang out together.

There's too much chaos going on for supposed "civilians" if you are driving a truck at 100/110 Km/h through a city? How's that doing any sort of RP, smashing into cars then driving off like nothing happened even after flying through your windshield? how's that RP?

The only thing I agree with you here is players not flying through their windscreens (not RPing car crashes, generally speaking). However, players should have the choice of speeding through the city. The lack of police presence is the problem. If you see someone speeding, call the police.

• Upvote 1

I agree there should be a language test before new players join. Right now, not a day goes by when I see a new player use emojis or confuse OOC chat with IC chat and it's incredibly frustrating.

Strongly agree. I would expect the same treatment if I were to join a Russian or German server. How can we communicate with players who do not speak the same language? Communication is key for all multiplayer games.

This is a terrible idea. Like MrPancakers said, this is forcing players into situations. That's not what RP servers should be doing.

Again, forcing players into RP situations they choose not to be in. If they got IC friends, let them hang out together.

The only thing I agree with you here is players not flying through their windscreens (not RPing car crashes, generally speaking). However, players should have the choice of speeding through the city. The lack of police presence is the problem. If you see someone speeding, call the police.

Stopping for police is forcing them into situations? wat? if the police have a reason to pull you over you clearly "forced" it onto yourself, cops aren't just gonna smash your rear car lights and be like oh well well well what we got here

And you can hang out with friends, how hard is it to have an RP reason? weirdly enough ramming 6/7 motorbikes into the PD which happened a few days ago isn't really an RP reason to be in a big group, or a few days before that ramming trucks into the car market to blow up cars and then blocking off the roads with more than 10+ people that's not really RP that's just being a cunt.

Players should have the option to speed, however I feel the penalty should be higher if you are using a job vehicle, I know it is already higher but it needs to be even moreso as it's insane seeing postal trucks just flying around corners or people driving on the wrong side of the road just to get to somewhere quicker.... none of this is forcing anyone to RP, it's just forcing people to stop treating it like GTA:O that's not what an RP server is for, there are tons of freeroam servers they can spawn a car on and fuck around in.

Stopping for police is forcing them into situations? wat? if the police have a reason to pull you over you clearly "forced" it onto yourself, cops aren't just gonna smash your rear car lights and be like oh well well well what we got here

No, I meant if you're going to restrict players to always pullover if they don't have a reason to evade then that's restricting roleplay.

And you can hang out with friends, how hard is it to have an RP reason? weirdly enough ramming 6/7 motorbikes into the PD which happened a few days ago isn't really an RP reason to be in a big group, or a few days before that ramming trucks into the car market to blow up cars and then blocking off the roads with more than 10+ people that's not really RP that's just being a cunt.

I would've collected evidence and posted an FC if I witnessed that situation. I understand in that circumstance but that shouldn't result in restricting people to have a certain amount of people in a group.

Players should have the option to speed, however I feel the penalty should be higher if you are using a job vehicle, I know it is already higher but it needs to be even moreso as it's insane seeing postal trucks just flying around corners or people driving on the wrong side of the road just to get to somewhere quicker.... none of this is forcing anyone to RP, it's just forcing people to stop treating it like GTA:O that's not what an RP server is for, there are tons of freeroam servers they can spawn a car on and fuck around in.

I agree the penalty should be higher and I understand what you mean, it can be frustrating sometimes seeing everyone flying around the server. I hope it improves soon.