Quietthecutie

"Put your hands up!" hotkey.

Ok so this is one for our verbally challenged homies.

If youre like me and dont use voice chat in this server. it can be incredibly fiddily to effectively hold someone up, for reasons lawful or otherwise. the best current solution is to "prime" a holdup by basically typing out something along the lines of "put your hands up, now! or i shoot!" Copy that, delete that, then paste it and send quickly right as youre pulling your weapon out.

Its incredibly ineffective and restricts you from acting freely in fluid roleplay, where every second matters and stopping to type something can have dire consequences.

My proposal would be to, when you have a weapon out and are aiming with it, be able to use a hotkey (or an addition shift+number shortcut.) that immediately makes your character shout a line like "hands up, right now!" etc. 

From there, the roleplay would develop exactly the same way it would if that line was delivered verbally. same reasonable time to comply, same escalation rules.

13 minutes ago, Astrx said:

I mean this can easily be done with key binds with programs such as AHK. If you truly do not VoIP on the game and you need to type, then use AHK binds to assist with this. Always make sure that they don't provide an advantage over other players though.

The problem with AHK in this context is that unlike something like mechanic work for example, i may be unable to stand perfectly still not touching my keyboard while giving demands. I might be moving, rolling, taking cover, pressing any number of buttons that would mess with AHK and muddy a verbal text that really needs to be crystal clear and not open to confusion or interpretation for obvious reasons.

Example: 

i pull up to a drug lab and find someone picking plants that i want. they appear unarmed and alone and i decide that in this secluded area the risk vs reward is worth me robbing him.

I drive next to him and get out of my car

He starts running

i pull out my gun and chase after him.

Now we are both sprinting, i'm pursuing, i could feasibly just shoot the guy, hes within range. but presently i need to stop and type at him to stop or ill shoot. if i tried using an AHK command to do this what he would read would be something along the lines of "swwwtaaaowwwpaaa aaaorwwwiwwwshootaaa!"

See the problem?

Edited by Quietthecutie
  • YAY 1

I get where you are coming from with the suggestion, but the same can be said for any number of things in scenarios where you have to type rather than voip. Its like in a hostage situation where you have your gun pointed at someone but have to type out your RP or talking with a negotiator. You have to stop to type and it lowers your weapon while you do it, but server rules still dictate that the player must be given the opportunity to type things out and that cannot be taken advantage of. 

If you choose to type things out in chat and people use that to their advantage and ignore your opportunity to RP, then simply report it as it would be against the rules. I don't feel adding macros or hotkeys for demands or any other quick text options is the correct answer, as each situation is unique and we would need an infinite number of different macros for text chat if that were the case. 

9 hours ago, Requiem said:

I get where you are coming from with the suggestion, but the same can be said for any number of things in scenarios where you have to type rather than voip. Its like in a hostage situation where you have your gun pointed at someone but have to type out your RP or talking with a negotiator. You have to stop to type and it lowers your weapon while you do it, but server rules still dictate that the player must be given the opportunity to type things out and that cannot be taken advantage of. 

If you choose to type things out in chat and people use that to their advantage and ignore your opportunity to RP, then simply report it as it would be against the rules. I don't feel adding macros or hotkeys for demands or any other quick text options is the correct answer, as each situation is unique and we would need an infinite number of different macros for text chat if that were the case. 

You're right, rules dictate that once you're being held up taking advantage of the person lowering their weapon to type is a rule break, and that during a rp scenario any time a person starts typing theres a sort of minipause where everyone should wait for that person to send whatever they typed. i understand the rules but if you read what im saying that's not really what i'm worried about here. i'm talking about that initial gun drawing moment, not what follows it. demands being given, not once they have been obeyed.

and whilst youre correct in your assessment of the rules, in practicality, speaking as someone who has played on this server for over a year never being able to use voip, they dont work. and i dont wanna spend half my time typing up reports over the minute of when exactly i started typing and the reported coming back with the obvious answer of them not noticing the typing bubble above my head therefore didnt feel obligated to stop. take the scenario i gave to @Astrx how would me stopping to type work exactly? because he isnt going to notice or stop, he will have gained about 20 yards by the time i hit send and could well be out of range. 

So I don't intend my response to come across negatively or rudely so please do not assume it as such but merely as a mute irl who's been on ECRP for close to 2 years with an opinion who actively plays crim and legal. However I feel I should input on this. 

While I certainly can understand the wanting to have it easier to have an alt+x command to enter demands or shouting at someone to stop/get on your knees et cetera it just seems rather redundant and unnecessary. I've interacted with a lot of legals and crims and 90% of the community is receptive to someone who doesn't speak. Even PD I've been in altercations with took the time to type let me roleplay because it's a scene for everyone.

I think what Astrx said is 100% perfectly reasonable with using AHK. I do use AHK for things like MEDEVAC radio callouts when you're having to type lines of rescue RP as well as pilot the helicopter from shit clapping chilliad. AHK is very very useful and not hard to set up at all and I see no reason, personally, to input it as an alt+x command when all of the alt+x commands are emoting and AHK exists and I doubt many people would have a problem with an AHK run line of "stop running or else".

Ontop of that my secondary reason for being against alt+x for a physical voiced command is its completely completely cross character. Every player can do it. Let's say you're...a cop right? @Astrx and @Akio will be great examples heres. Every crim knows who they are and generally it's a mutual respect. Let's say they're around a bunch of crim characters chit chatting and hit the WRONG alt+x command and issue demands to an entire faction instead of facepalming. Now we've got a massive issue brewing because thise crims might think "oh hells its a setup they were baiting us we're about to be raided" Sure they can fix it in /b but the margin for accidentally turning something hostile very quickly becomes exponentially larger. 

Solid idea I just think it's not useful with other work around existing.