XeV

Let's Talk About FearRp And How It Is Abused

Just as the title states, too many times I have seen FearRp be abused to drive the outcome of a scenario into another persons favor INSTANTLY

Don't like how the RP is going and have a gun, BOOM pull said gun and point and now you have complete control over the entire scenario otherwise the person or people are breaking the FRP rule.

I do not have any suggestion in mind as to how to combat the obvious rule play that happens in these scenariosm, hence why I am making a post to start a conversation about it and get more points on the subject.

All and all I have seen too many times people just go, point gun = I control the RP now until I say otherwise.

• Like 4

I think this is an interesting topic to discuss. I believe the FRP rule is maybe a little too stringent as it sits right now. It's necessary for those times that people completely disregard all semblance of fear for their life for no apparent reason. However if one's character should have reason to break the typical FRP rules, aka Your character is asked to denounce their gang and say their enemy is on top. Some people WOULD rather die than do that, but according to FRP you would be breaking the rule.

Not only that, but it does not allow for a ride or die mentality as you character can sometimes be forced into being a coward, despite the macho bravado they may use in their everyday encounters when a gun is not pointed at them. For some reason, a gun means you're forced into cowardice. I don't agree on that being the proper mode of RP in every encounter. Some characters might show no fear despite the situation, however RP their body reacting differently. AKA (skip this sentence if you don't wanna read torture RP) during torture situations someone might grit their teeth and clench their fist, but not look scared or turn over information or even scream. Some people WOULD die to protect their secrets.

The rule as it stands:

13. Fear Roleplay (FRP)

Fear Roleplay is the concept of showing appropriate care and concern to preserve your character's safety and life. We aim for balanced gameplay through this rule, and it may not be representative of real life at times. 

Players whose life is in direct danger must RP adequate fear and comply with demands given to them. Direct danger could mean, for example, a gun aimed at your head or at you from close vicinity, by any player. 

If an attacker lowers their weapon to type, victims who were under fear RP remain as so.

A player is not showing proper fear if they run while on foot/bike or in an unpowered vehicle and a weapon is aimed at them at close range, or if they drive into an active shootout more than once without the intent of providing cover or fleeing with it. 

A player has the option to react if they are in a powered vehicle, if they already have a weapon drawn facing their attacker, or if their attacker's view is obstructed by an object. 

My suggestion:

13. Fear Roleplay (FRP)

Fear Roleplay is the concept of showing appropriate care and concern to preserve your character's safety and life. We aim for balanced gameplay through this rule, and it may not be representative of real life at times.  but we do allow for appropriate character development.

Players whose life is in direct danger must RP adequate fear and comply with demands given to them within reason*. If you are able to provide appropriate character development for your actions. For example: giving your loved one up to be killed, taking a bullet for another gang member, partner (on duty LEO partner or romantic), or child, having to say things like "[insert your gang name here] on bottom", ETC. Direct danger could mean, for example, a gun aimed at your head, at you from close vicinity, by any player. or your character on their knees (/down).

If an attacker lowers their weapon to type, victims who were under fear RP remain as so.

A player is not showing proper fear if they run while on foot/bike or in an unpowered vehicle and a weapon is aimed at them at close range, or if they drive into an active shootout more than once without the intent of providing cover or fleeing with it. 

A player has the option to react if they are in a powered vehicle, if they already have a weapon drawn facing their attacker, or if their attacker's view is obstructed by an object.

*This does NOT mean you can just say "I play my character as fearless" and run into whatever situation you'd like.

Edited by Olivia Can
Grammar.. oopers
  • Like 1
  • NAY 1
  • hand 1

The issue is that there is no real repercussions for being 'ride or die' in a game. How about this? You're allowed to do non-violent breaches of Fear RP, and be macho, but your attacker might shoot you, and if they choose to do so, your character is killed. You can never play them again.

I would be okay with that, since at that point, you are risking your life.

I am in the middle on this one. I agree with the OP as it doesn't seem realistic that someone gets to just pull a gun and get everything they want and the other side gets no room to react in any way. It creates one sided RP scenarios and it ruins the experience for one side. Rules and the foundations of the server should set RP situations up in a way that promotes creativity and enjoyment for everyone. 

On the flip side of that coin though, there has to be a way to prevent people from just completely ignoring their character's safety and keep things realistic. If the rules were more loose, everyone would take advantage of it and just say, "my character wasn't scared in this situation" when they go and do nonsense, unrealistic acts. 

The rules need to be setup in a way that allows creative RP freedom where possible, but also the server staff need to be able to realistically enforce the rules with hard drawn lines so its not always a judgement call...

If there was a way of changing the rules to allow more of that freedom, but still prevent the unrealistic behavior due to it being a game, that would be great, but I don't know how that would be done...

8 hours ago, alexalex303 said:

The issue is that there is no real repercussions for being 'ride or die' in a game. How about this? You're allowed to do non-violent breaches of Fear RP, and be macho, but your attacker might shoot you, and if they choose to do so, your character is killed. You can never play them again.

I would be okay with that, since at that point, you are risking your life.

The repercussion in game would be that your character dies, is nlr'd for that situation, and loses their things... I would say that's... typically what happens when you die in ECRP...

However, if you're going to go to fully to one side of the spectrum, aka: "you want to risk your life, fine then get killed for good". Then... I guess cops really shouldn't go into situations where they're outnumbered, but they do all the time? And they don't suffer ANY consequences when they die?

Finally, if that's the stance you're going to take, then yes. I'd be perfectly fine with a character death, but ECRP doesn't allow that. That is why I opted for the slight rule change. That DOES allow for your character to have a personality, even if a gun is pointed at them.

Like guns should not = follow all my orders without question. It's basically powergaming the situation as you stop the ability for anyone besides the gun holder to RP.

People have literally hopped into /b to go FRP? When my character shows attitude during a situation where a gun is pointed at her head. That's insane, that people believe the rule is so stringent that you literally cannot RP how your character would normally when at gunpoint.

4 hours ago, Bill Breacher said:

The rules need to be setup in a way that allows creative RP freedom where possible, but also the server staff need to be able to realistically enforce the rules with hard drawn lines so its not always a judgement call...

Almost every single rule is a judgement call. NRP is literally up to the eyes of the beholders. FRP is the same. The list goes on. Look at forums to see how one staff member handles a report vs. another. Regardless of what you do/how you RP at some point in time you will do something (because none of us are perfect), that has to be judged by staff and it will depend on how that set of staff sees it/which staff member it is as to how you'll be punished.

That's why it doesn't matter if the line is super clear and drawn or not. It's literally up to the eyes of the beholder, so in the end... shouldn't we all just strive for improving RP all around, including allowing others to do character trait specific actions even under fear RP? So you don't have to go from being a (excuse my language) badass to a pussy in 5 seconds cause of a gun being pointed at you?

Edited by Olivia Can
Grammar
  • Like 3
  • polarcop 1

On 8/3/2022 at 11:25 AM, alexalex303 said:

Also need to take into account its a video game and everyone is wanting to have fun.

Honestly fearrp is a stupid ass rule and  only the new dumbass generation here in fivem/ragemp had it added, but throughout 12 years playing rp servers on SA:MP it was not even mentioned once.

There are so many ways for a situation where you're being held under gun point to end that you should have the privilege to decide whether to fully comply / defy.

Not once have I seen people in real life running for their lives shortly after being held under gun / knife point knowing that if they were to follow, the outcome of staying would've gotten a lot worse whereas running away sometimes may be the better option. That's the main problem about square-thinking ignorants who dictate stupid rules and force everyone to follow by them without taking into consideration that it shouldn't always be black and white.

Edited by MrRabb
  • Like 2