Swifty

Discussion: The Cost of Super / Luxury Cars.

I'm posting this thread In hopes of opening a discussion on the cost and viability of super / luxury cars. This isn't a suggestion post (not yet anyway), so please, If you don't have anything meaningful to add to the discussion then don't bother.

Main Discussion Point:

From my perspective, driving around the city it appears everyone and their mother owns some sort super / luxury car. I get it, everyone wants to RP as a millionaire playboy. But in the long term this really only dampens the immersion when playing, and I can only imagine this will drive people away who are looking for a realistic experience when playing here.

Solution:

I have a couple of things floating around my head, such as vehicle registration, insurance, etc. (some sort of recurring cost). But the whole point of this post is for community feedback on such a system. So please, if you either agree or disagree feel free to add something to the discussion.

Edited by Swifty
title edit

4 hours ago, lenx said:

-1, there's nothing wrong with the system right now. People want nice cars, so they save up and buy nice cars. If someone wants to RP as an average Joe in a Warrener, nothing is stopping them. But for the most part, the RP in this server kind of requires a fast car especially as a criminal.

I've got nothing against people wanting nice / fast cars, but I'm of the opinion that living such a lavish life should have it's own drawbacks.

15 minutes ago, lenx said:

Why though? All it's going to do is punish successful people. People play on this server for fun, not ultimate realism.

I'm not trying to suggest we introduce some sort of complex tax system, but I feel like things like paid vehicle registration not only goes into quelling the luxury car population, but adds a new interesting dynamic of roleplay between the PD and everyone else.

I support this for all cars.

All cars should come with more costs than just the vehicle and fuel cost. There should be more vehicle maintenance required, crashed vehicles should require vehicle parts to be repaired. The most expensive the vehicle, the more expensive the maintenance. This should discourage people from using sport/supercars on a daily basis for practically everything if they have to continuously pay money for more than $150 visual repair at Bayview/LSC.

A lot fewer supercars/ sports cars would allow PD to willingly nerf their vehicles if we saw more regular cars being used. But that's not the case right now, 1/5 of our vehicle pursuits is of a regular vehicle, whereas the other 4 is with a fast vehicle.

One of the old SA-MP servers that I played on used to have a % life on battery and engine. When you crashed your car so hard that it went kaboom, about 25% of the engine went out and the battery would always gradually decrease its lifespan. You could replace your engine with a new engine, but that was expensive as hell. This encouraged people to drive responsibly, and we rarely had pursuits with sports cars because of said reason, most of the time it was stolen sports cars that we chased.

You should post this in the suggestion forum, I think it could be nice to have in there for the developers when they look for ideas.