JohnnydaHo

How do you reconcile the comments in these recent two rulings?

1. In this report, the rules broken were:
Deathmatching is the act of attacking a player without a proper IC motive and interaction...

A lot can be learnt from this report to enhance future roleplay. To start with, ensure that you provide valid demands before shooting.

We would like to also remind everyone involved that demands do not grant you deathmatching rights, nor are they required to have to obtain deathmatching rights

14 minutes ago, JohnnydaHo said:

1. In this report, the rules broken were:
Deathmatching is the act of attacking a player without a proper IC motive and interaction...

A lot can be learnt from this report to enhance future roleplay. To start with, ensure that you provide valid demands before shooting.

We would like to also remind everyone involved that demands do not grant you deathmatching rights, nor are they required to have to obtain deathmatching rights

Hello!

2 Senior supports and myself have worked on the report where the second quote was taken from. I am happy to clarify some things.
Keep in mind that every single reported situation is unique and never follows a certain guide step by step. In the quote from my report, it states that "nor are they required". This means that demands aren't a requirement for Deathmatching rights. This was different long ago, where demands were a requirement, but this rule got updated. However, this also means that they still could be a factor in a situation. In the case of the report, it was mentioned that no demands were made, yet people still got shot. This quote had the goal to clarify that it wouldn't be needed due to the context of the situation. This also means that just shouting demands from any given distance (which happend in the report, which was also mentioned in the conclusion) doesn't mean you can then just start shooting someone.
Additionally, be aware that there is a difference between demands and valid demands.
Last, I would recommend making sure to read whole conclusions to make sure no further context gets missing. We spend a lot of time in writing those and a specific quote could become misleading taking them out of context.
Hopefully this clarified some stuff for you!

• Like 2

Hope you are having an epic day! I recall seeing the first report that changed the stance on the demands requirement last year. I brought it to the attention of my faction. The new approach  focuses, rightly imo, on proper escalation, which can occur in the complete absence of valid demands. Nonetheless, many still shout out "give demands" even where none are required given the IC escalation to that point. The comment from the first ruling adds confusion as the author suggests that the case be used for educational purposes but then goes on to say the old rule..."ensure that you provide valid demands before shooting". Just seems like you guys are on two different pages on this one with contradictory "educational" messaging. 

37 minutes ago, JohnnydaHo said:

Hope you are having an epic day! I recall seeing the first report that changed the stance on the demands requirement last year. I brought it to the attention of my faction. The new approach  focuses, rightly imo, on proper escalation, which can occur in the complete absence of valid demands. Nonetheless, many still shout out "give demands" even where none are required given the IC escalation to that point. The comment from the first ruling adds confusion as the author suggests that the case be used for educational purposes but then goes on to say the old rule..."ensure that you provide valid demands before shooting". Just seems like you guys are on two different pages on this one with contradictory "educational" messaging. 

Be aware that they are specific to the reported situation. General ruling is in the rule book.

Although demands are not "required" I feel like people will still make sure to give them 9 out of 10 times just because of how used everyone is to it and having the mindset of "If no demands are given, people will probably report"

And yes, IF you do give demands, they'll have to be valid. Demands are a courtesy and not a requirement, but them not being a requirement does not mean that when they are in fact given, they should be half-assed.