Not Butters

AFK Timer in Prison

Hello there!

First of all, I would like to state the length of prison sentences. When trying to do some fun crim RP such as taking someone hostage, you can get sentenced to prison for a ridiculous amount of time. I know all the cops in the replies are gonna say "wElL d0 tHE criMe pAy thE tImE" but that's not what I'm looking for. While I understand what you are talking about, there is no justification for going to prison for 6 hours. Throughout the time while your in prison, you are expected to RP with DOC guards (as I was ex-DOC employee). But from my knowledge, there isnt always someone to RP with/tons of RP actions. When we are all in jail we most likely go grab some stuff to eat, watch youtube, and do other sorts of things. It is frustrating having to alt tab back to check the AFK timer. AFK timer in prison is pretty dumb in my opinion because not everyone has time/patience to sit on eclipse and wait out the long prison sentences. While I'm not saying to completely remove the timer, but at least make it longer, as it would benefit everyone.  

Thank you guys for your time, NotButters

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

As a long time member of the DOC faction I believe this would affect a lot of the RP interactions that guards have with inmates. Sure it would be great if you didn't have to ensure that you moved every 10ish minutes while locked in a cell but if inmates realised they could abuse this system then guards would begin to have very little interactions with the inmates as they would be aware they could basically AFK their entire sentences except for moving a few feet every 20 minutes or so.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

On 1/17/2021 at 2:03 AM, Not Butters said:

Hello there!

First of all, I would like to state the length of prison sentences. When trying to do some fun crim RP such as taking someone hostage, you can get sentenced to prison for a ridiculous amount of time. I know all the cops in the replies are gonna say "wElL d0 tHE criMe pAy thE tImE" but that's not what I'm looking for. While I understand what you are talking about, there is no justification for going to prison for 6 hours. Throughout the time while your in prison, you are expected to RP with DOC guards (as I was ex-DOC employee). But from my knowledge, there isnt always someone to RP with/tons of RP actions. When we are all in jail we most likely go grab some stuff to eat, watch youtube, and do other sorts of things. It is frustrating having to alt tab back to check the AFK timer. AFK timer in prison is pretty dumb in my opinion because not everyone has time/patience to sit on eclipse and wait out the long prison sentences. While I'm not saying to completely remove the timer, but at least make it longer, as it would benefit everyone.  

Thank you guys for your time, NotButters

I'm a cop and I'm not going to reply with that because I think a response like that is unnecessarily dismissive.

Prison is not meant to be fun in-character, but out-of-character, prison should be an engaging experience. You might not be able to go where you want and do exactly what you want but by adding script support to various different areas, such as recreational activities, job opportunities and consequences for bad behaviour in prison, we can better create an environment that does encourages a unique kind of role-play you won't get anywhere else on the server.

Department of Corrections do some excellent work in frankly testing circumstances and I think even a few basic improvements would go a long way to not just improving the opportunities for prisoners to RP, but the guards also. I made a criminal suggestion thread last week with a number of ideas for the prison and I think that would go a long way towards helping.

There is actually plenty of justification for someone going to prison for an extended period of time, the problem is not the sentence, it's that going to prison feels just as much an OOC punishment as an IC punishment. On the one hand, it's a role-play server. The expectation is that when you are logged in, you are available for interaction. At the same time, you want to be entertained OOC when you are playing a video game so wanting to afk and watch Netflix or whatever, I can see why.

I don't support your suggestion because I don't think that being able to opt out of role-play is in the best interests of the prison or the server. I think instead it would be better for every body to improve the prison experience instead.

Edited by Bala
  • Like 3

I honestly think this might be a +1

You still have to follow all server rules, so if you are properly AFK you can still get in trouble just like if you were not in prison and AFK at the bank or LSC. That is still 100% on you.

You aren't allowed to lock yourself in a cell so you are still able to be messed with.

If there is no one in prison, you can be there without having to check on a timer. If someone comes in, go RP with them and stop.