padpilot

More Business opportunities for the Rich and the Poor.

This is a suggestion to add more business into the game introducing a business ownership cap of 2. 

There is no reason to have only a single tier of progression. You get to "buy" a business, that's it. Why don't we have multiple levels of business at least? I've mentioned this in other posts but thought it deserved its own post. 

You own a barber shop for example, you must run a successful tier 1 business (rated either on time of ownership, % of available stock over a certain time, ie, how well you have operated the store, or measured against a different variable (any suggestions)), before being allowed to apply for a tier 2 business and so on and so on. 

The trick would be to introduce business that offer a upgrade from the current business available in game. This would give mega rich and experienced players something more to do. (This would hopefully bring more life back into the server). Once the experienced players have saved enough money they can now apply for a newly created tier 4 business. But that's it, if they want to own another tier 4 businesses they have to apply for a tier 1 business and start the process over however there would be a lengthy cooldown before applying for a second business license. This gives others the opportunities and stops this newly adopted business scheme from being immediately monopolized by the mega-rich.

I think this process will allow experienced players more opportunity to revisit the game, give them something more to do and will encourage RP throughout the server. 

Any player who currently has enough money for a business, but has, however, found themselves unavailable to purchase a business may now have the opportunity to do so.  

Lastly, newer players (not new players, but newer players, not fresh of the boat immigrants but those players that have tried a lot of what the in-game scripts have to offer and who fancy more from their time in the city), for those new players may also now be able to purchase the smaller business and work there way up. 

This is not an attack on the mega-rich and is meant only as a suggestion to bring more interaction between players, provide more business opportunities and incentives to players to work towards collective goods and who will ultimately continue returning to play on Eclipse. 

Please guys, if you decide this is a -1, give me feedback. Cheers!

I really understand where you're trying to go with this but implementing further restrictions on buying businesses isn't the best play in all honesty. By having to climb tiers, players might have to run businesses they really have no interest in running just to be able to get up to the tier with the business they want and that'll likely make things even worse. Having to meet tier requirements will further block more people out rather than making them more accessible as well. The purchasing costs between each tier will actually benefit the mega rich as they won't need to generate money to buy a business of the next tier like the not so rich will so we'd likely see the mega rich locking everyone else out at each tier. I completely understand that people are disgruntled by not getting a "fair" shot a buying and running a "map implemented" business but that's not the only option when it comes to businesses.

Businesses aren't limited to just things already on the map like dealerships, ammunition, general stores, gas stations, etc. Players are able to start different businesses and even register them through the government website. You can view some already completed on there that are outside of the "map implemented" businesses.

As the server grows, more "map implemented" businesses are being added in but if people are genuinely interested in running some kind of business, especially in RP, they should work towards it IC first. The problem with just saying, "We need more businesses" or "We should limit who can own businesses" in a server suggestion, is it doesn't show enough initiative. Yes, having implemented game mechanics and scripts help make things easier but they're there to support roleplay. By relying on the game mechanics and scripts to be implemented first, it doesn't present the initiative of the players "needing" the support but rather works against the argument. 

I'm sure we all can agree that it's a bit of a bummer that everyone doesn't get a chance to own the "map implemented" businesses but not everyone will be a faction leader or a millionaire. It all comes down to each person's initiative, motivation, dedication, and creativity. 

Yeah very true, I had not considered your first point, this alone kinda debunks my theory on its own. Your added critiques only strengthen your argument.

I understand also about the RP side of the business and how one could theoretically get a business up and running in the game, through simple RP. However, the external facilities of discord, which has numerous channels, the website (outdated and minimalistic guides on basic game mechanics), and then having PD on TS3 just makes everything non-succinct and convoluted.

To engage properly with those businesses already on the forums and to ensure then that they garner the traction needed then I would suggest a revisiting of the way that information is displayed externally out of the game. Make it easier for players to understand then the limits of the factions and where they can expect there RP to lead them given the available scripts. 

I've only managed to learn what I know of the game so far through active forum engagement and at times it has not been easy to navigate the structure supporting Eclipse. Basic things are just not completed.

To keep a system of business as is today Eclipse should then recognize that current facilities and modes of advertisement and player interaction may need an overhaul. Only to promote more GP. This could be simple things such as increasing the layout or organization of the website. Creating an External Eclipse IC website. The IC website could house everything that should be found in-game however which cannot. Order cars here, upload images of houses, create stories. Similar to the in-house IC section on the current site. Apart from you won't have to scroll through page after page to find info on people, places and locations, business, faction, business opportunities, celebrities, races, everything, everything. There is no point having #fashion for example in the discord alone when the IC section is on the website.

Just make things more succinct, accessible and attractive for now then instead I guess would be my follow to the suggestion. 

NB: For anyone who has ever played EVE ONLINE, what would you guys suggest in having a corporation style system of governance where each and every player has to be part of a group. NPC or Player created corporations in EVE provide a systemic way to control and promote player interaction, and ultimately RP. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.