Quietthecutie

Suggestion: Events Calendar.

So as it stands the forum does have a section for announcing your events, but its only receiving limited use and is a pain to try to trawl through. its also more used to try to advertise than plan.

There is no worse feeling than going through all the preparation for an event only to find out, sometimes just hours before its due to start, that you've double or even triple booked over different events by different orgs, limiting both the turnout for all events and events to do about in the city without missing out on others. 

My suggestion would be to set up some kind of virtual calendar, googles is pretty good, that all organisers can use and place bookings on. no restrictions on where you can put your events date and time but at least it will let you know if you are double booking, clearly and concisely. and have this pinned to the events section.

• Upvote 1

I just noticed this suggestion!

Weazel actually used to have this very thing on our IC website, and we used to advertise it in game, but it was rarely ever used, and we found that even after telling people about it several times, they would still just ask us directly rather than go check it out. It funnily also came up in some OOC discussions we had recently about reviving it since we would need to reimplement it on our website. 

I am all for it again if It's something people want to utilize and would find useful, but I'm just conscious of the constant upkeep it requires and that only a small handful of people could update the website, so if it was not used then it would be wasted time. 

• Upvote 2

+1 I just read through this and I really like the idea. We are currently using the media channel on discord to advertise events, however I think this is also something that could be implemented through roleplay. Like the weazel calendar, as Herrman said earlier. 

This would just require some maintenance work but can propably be implemented. 

Again, my primary goal with this wouldn't be to advertise. it would be to plan. a recent event i was staffed for had to change its time 3 times to avoid clashing with other events. this could only be done on the day of the event and as a result, turnout suffered from it. with all due respect to WNN few people actually check that website frequently wheras the forums are checked daily by a lot of players. i think this is where we should be placing any kind of planning calandar. it would be an OOC resource in the name of improving RP ops for the whole of the city.

Edited by Quietthecutie

3 minutes ago, Quietthecutie said:

Again, my primary goal with this wouldn't be to advertise. it would be to plan. a recent event i was staffed for had to change its time 3 times to avoid clashing with other events. this could only be done on the day of the event and as a result, turnout suffered from it. with all due respect to WNN few people actually check that website wheras the forums are checked daily by a lot of players. i think this is where we should be placing any kind of planning calandar. it would be an OOC resource in the name of improving RP ops for the whole of the city.

If people do not check a calendar that is implemented IC for their events, though, that is ultimately their own fault. The ressource has been given and if someone is not interested in using that because of it being on the wrong website, then I do believe that is on them. 

Just now, Kellie said:

If people do not check a calendar that is implemented IC for their events, though, that is ultimately their own fault. The ressource has been given and if someone is not interested in using that because of it being on the wrong website, then I do believe that is on them. 

But could we do better? could we make it more accessible? raise awareness for it? 

i would imagine alot of event organisers and business owners wernt even aware it was a thing!