Dapph

Wiki page

This has probably been suggested many times before but I found an unfinished wiki page for the server (Link)

and was just wondering if we were able to use it, I know theres a bunch of metagaming issues regarding it but I dont see it much different to a player streaming their gameplay.

It would just be nice as an ooc thing to share our roleplay with eachother and aswell with people outside of the server who would want a feel for the kind of stuff going on.

The Nopixel wiki is a great example of this; Link

Edited by Dapph

The only thing a wiki should exist for on this server should be for server features and command explanations. Character, faction, and general showcases are sort of an opt-in on the forums and that seems sufficient to me.

NoPixel is a content server that serves the purpose of entertaining thousands of people watching from the sidelines with several storylines from their favorite streamers that intertwine in one way or another. A wiki and subreddits are necessary for every invested watcher to keep up with the developments of these storylines. Our server by comparison, while on the lighter side of roleplay, focuses on the day-to-day aspects of life and operates in a manner that is more roleplay-based than content creation. I personally don't think a wiki page would serve the intended or maybe expected purpose here. 

I also think that creativity is a big factor that the current medium, that being the forum, allows while a wiki wouldn't. A wiki is pretty streamlined, especially a fandom wiki. You have fields for specific character information such as age, status, relationships, and so forth, and then text fields to write a story, maybe include a picture or two, and then that's it. On the forum, you're only really limited by what your imagination (or your wallet, if you're paying people to be creative for you) allows. Players can make their topics, whether that be for their faction, character, or just roleplay showcases, as chaotic, pretty, or ugly as they want, they can provide a theme, they can stylize their future replies in a specific thematic way, they can attach songs that fit.

Then, there's also the control a player has over their character. I decide whether I make a forum topic about my character, faction, or roleplay, whereas a wiki allowed to be edited by everyone and seen by everyone leaves me with little choice, because someone else may decide that my character should be on there, when I very well may not want any of my characters displayed that way, for whatever reason I or anyone else may have. Moderation can handle this, yes, but that adds another responsibility for the staff team to ensure that the wiki isn't also abused. Contributors on wiki pages can add, remove, and reverse, but heavy moderation would be required to ensure that this is not abused, especially not in a toxic manner.

Personally, I think the forum suits these needs sufficiently at this point in time.

• Like 1

I mean you are more than welcome to make one if you want to make one, but what Pazz said, this server is more for RP while gaming rather than RP to be consumed by the masses like NoPixel. Also, we have a section for character stories and faction threads on the forums already, there is the ability to link on the forums, it's just up to the people creating the forums to take the time to link to people's character stories and such.

I think having a wiki would be awesome if people would contribute and develop RP stories and arcs with their characters, but a lot of people don't create character stories, and some factions only post just to get official.