checkky

The "COI" Rule for Reports Needs to be Properly Defined

Hello Eclipse Community!

I'm sure we all have a friend within the Staff Team of ECRP. However, I find myself at times seeing the 'COI' rule being thrown from members within staff that I don't even talk to in the server. I may have been simply apart of their faction for a short period of time, or sent them one or two PMs at most. I personally feel as if this rule is "just a card" that is drawn from staff so they don't have to take reports, rather than a proper checklist to see if this person lays within "certain parameters of being a close friend OOCly". It's a shame as I'd prefer to not refer to the forums for my reports, but would much rather handle them in-game. 50% of the time unfortunately the report isn’t taken due to ‘COI’. Personally I'd like to hear some feedback, to see if anyone else has endured this issue, along with some feedback!

Edited by Checkky
  • Like 2

I can understand frustrations with it taking much longer than needed for a report to be viewed due to this. However there are over 50 staff members not including founders or support. I'm sure the report will be dealt with and handled properly. Nobody has a personal connection with 50+ staff members surely.

7 hours ago, FAustin said:

I can understand frustrations with it taking much longer than needed for a report to be viewed due to this. However there are over 50 staff members not including founders or support. I'm sure the report will be dealt with and handled properly. Nobody has a personal connection with 50+ staff members surely.

its more in regards to in game reports than forum reports

It's not an excuse, it's to guarantee a fair judgement. COI can happen regardless of the level of friendship/relationship with the involved staff member, for example, afaik they (staff) cannot take in game or forum reports from members of their own faction. There's no chance that within 20+ Moderator+, you report will be ignored or "mishandled" if taken up by someone you're not related to.

I wish instead that COI was looked with much more attention and enforced, taking into consideration the staff member's past involvement with factions members and/or current standing with the report parties, if there's any. 

• Like 1

Hello.

Our Conflict of Interest rule was carefully created and modified over time to ensure that players can receive the best assistance that they deserve. It was not created so that staff members can avoid doing staff work for convenience.

If you report a player in for example the LSPD, the COI rule intends to ensure that you get a more senior staff member (e.g. Administrator) to review your report or a staff member with no connection to the LSPD so that you get a thorough investigation from someone who can we make sure will approach the situation with full impartiality and no bias. While we believe all of our staff can be impartial and unbias, human psychology plays a large role. 

Yes, the COI rule can result in you having to post a forum report for your in-game issue, but this is not to inconvenience you, this is to make sure that you get the best experience possible having your situation looked at. 

Our Conflict of Interest rule isn't something that we're interested in removing or loosening up, it is there for the community. 

• Like 2