beedog743

Is buying your own commercial Truck worth it?

First and foremost all I’m doing for this post is fishing for opinions to get different perspectives on things. I was looking at the next vehicle to purchase and I have been the avid truck driver and really enjoy it. However there is of course the option to purchase your own truck and do loads with it. But honestly what’s the point? The trucks don’t have really anything for modifications other than a turbo and some cosmetics and also you have to start buying gas, repairs etc. vs just renting and returning the vehicle when your done without a worry. Biggest thing is just getting judged over the CB sometimes getting called a “renter”

im torn between a commercial vehicle or an RV to possibly unlock new gameplay possibilities. Only question is with the RV that I don’t know is just how custom can you make it inside. Can you put “tables” in there in latency terms? I don’t fully know exactly what the tables do in game but I have an idea of what money making method you can achieve with them. Are limited to what exactly you can put in the RV?

im not looking for a solution to my problem just opinions. I really am trying to avoid making a dumb decision

Owning a commercial truck for the trucking job is not worth it unless you are simultaneously using it for other Freelance jobs that require storage volume. Like you mentioned, fuel costs, tolls, and vehicle repairs are avoided with rentals and that's a significant financial incentive to rent. I personally preferred owning my truck as it allowed me to diversify and enterprise my money making options a bit. Trucking orders are a bit more stable and generating now though it's possible to do it full time, In that case I'd say it's not worth the investment. I wouldn't worry too much about people judging you over CB because any truck owner saying that shit is really just jealous of the rental perks.

Save. Dat. Money.

1 hour ago, Kommand said:

Owning a commercial truck for the trucking job is not worth it unless you are simultaneously using it for other Freelance jobs that require storage volume. Like you mentioned, fuel costs, tolls, and vehicle repairs are avoided with rentals and that's a significant financial incentive to rent. I personally preferred owning my truck as it allowed me to diversify and enterprise my money making options a bit. Trucking orders are a bit more stable and generating now though it's possible to do it full time, In that case I'd say it's not worth the investment. I wouldn't worry too much about people judging you over CB because any truck owner saying that shit is really just jealous of the rental perks.

Save. Dat. Money.

That’s deffinately what I was thinking. I do see the use for the trucks though of course in terms of their volume, it has a wide array of other uses etc. really only thing I would love to have to have a more immersive experience is being able to have trailers. Weren’t they in the server at one point? Why did they get removed?

18 hours ago, beedog743 said:

That’s deffinately what I was thinking. I do see the use for the trucks though of course in terms of their volume, it has a wide array of other uses etc. really only thing I would love to have to have a more immersive experience is being able to have trailers. Weren’t they in the server at one point? Why did they get removed?

They were at one point but that was before my time, so I'm not sure on why they were removed. Likely due to issues with desync, or lag spiking. It kind of sucks owning a Phantom because there's no trailer attached. The Pounder at least gives some semblance of trailer immersion but still lacking in realism. I will say from experience that the game mechanics for hitched trailers is very buggy. This is based solely on how the tractor interacts with the cultivator at Osvaldon's or Paul's Farm, so take that with a grain of salt. 

We recently tried out truck trailers and they didn't really work very well at all, even if the cultivator at the farming job now works for the most part.

The sync on them is very hit and miss, unfortunately and it wouldn't be reasonable implementing them without a sizeable development effort to it.
I'm not an expert on the matter, but from what I've seen trailer sync is not an easy feat to achieve in RageMP and I personally don't know of any english speaking RageMP server that has achieved this. Whether this is planned or not in the future; I don't know.

That said, whether or not buying your own commercial truck is worth it or not is more of an in-character question and you should try to find some people that do use their own truck to ask about it. There is certain script advantages to it, for sure.

• Upvote 1

If you want a living space and to make money "Semi legally" with tables go with the RV. If you plan to make money with freelance Jobs, I will go with the truck as it can be pretty useful for jobs like logging. Both (at the time of writing) are around the same price so if you really regret your choice there is I think less than a 10k difference so experiment.