Alanala Dianthia

The Diary of Queenie Fae

The following is written with a childish scrawl

November 8, 07

Dear Diary,

Mommy got me a diary for my birthday! I’m so happy! I promise to write in you every day. Mommy seemed pretty happy today too, and I got to have cake! It was really good, I don’t often get to have cake, I can’t remember the last time I have. That’s all for now diary! Bertha Esti

December 25, 07

Santa didn’t come this year again, when I asked mommy why he didn’t come, she sent me to my room and called me ungrateful. It didn’t look like she was making anything for dinner again, so I’ll have to go look through the kitchen once she’s asleep again. Bertha Esti

March 5, 08

McKenna and her friends made fun of me again, calling me poor because I’m still wearing the same shoes from last year, they have holes and are two sizes too small, but money is really tight right now as mommy says. Then one of the girls said her father called my mother a coke addict. I got really mad and punched her, her nose got all red and started bleeding and the other girls screamed. Mom got called, and the other girls parents were talking about suing us, she’s really mad at me. Bertha Esti

June 6, 08

Some people came by the house today, they were dressed really professionally, and mom made me wear my nice clothes and help her clean the house before they got here. I think it’s because I kept going over to Lilly’s house, I heard her parents talking in the kitchen about how I was always dirty and my clothes were ripped up, but I can’t help it, mom needs her medicine and it’s really expensive for her to afford, so we can’t always be buying me nice things. Bertha Esti

August 16th, 2008

Mom didn’t come home tonight, I’m really worried about her, she’s never not come home before. I tried to ask her why she keeps coming home later and later yesterday, but she slapped me and told me to mind my own business. I hope she comes home, I miss her. Bertha Esti

November 10th, 2010

It’s been a while since I’ve written in this old journal. I found it in the box of books we moved to Aunt Mia’s place. Mom lost custody of me this time, and the Judge said unless she can continue to stay sober, there’s a very small chance she’s going to get me back. And since she refuses to tell anyone who my father is, I can’t go live with him. I hope she’s eating alright, I hope she can get the help she needs. Bertha Esti.

More to come in replies

• Like 2

February 17th, 2011

It’s done, Aunt Mia got my name legally changed. We were both tired of all the fights I was getting into at school over the other kids teasing me about having an old lady name. I took up my mothers and aunts maiden name, so at the very least I’m not far removed from the family. I’m hoping this will give me a new start in life. Queenie Fae

April 10th, 2011

Moms been sending me letters. Talking about how she misses me, how she messed up and didn’t mean to hit me that hard. We both know that’s a lie, she’s hit me harder, she just calculated wrong this time and someone else saw. I’m betting you this is just another part of her newest program, and that someone is just watching her write these letters. Should I write back? Queenie Fae

July 1st, 2011

Ally came to stay with Ginny and I for the rest of summer. She keeps complaining about the Texas summer heat. We’re going to go play some games later this evening, might suggest hide and seek, I know this amazing hiding spot in the barn out back. Weather hasn’t been looking too good as of late, but it should be fine right? Queenie Fae

January 30th, 2012

Mom was here. I thought for a moment Aunt Mia had called her to come get me, but when I saw that surprise on her face I realized she didn’t know she’d be coming either. Mom was definitely not sober, we don’t even know how she got here in the condition she did. There was a lot of screaming downstairs and then the cops came. I’m scared.

Edited by Alanala Dianthia