DeanThompson

Judicial System

What I would suggest for an interim rather than appointing a person or two to be a judge the prosecuting side of things has a "pool" of lawyers. They can take turns deciding who will arbitrate over the case and who will prosecute depending on how many are on. A minimum of two would need to be on but it would expand the amount of people able to run a hearing.  Criminals can higher anybody they'd want to defend them or defend themselves but wouldn't be appointed any attorney and would have to defend themselves if their attorney wasn't on or they didn't have one.

The hearings can take place at the PD in the side room after the lawyers have been able to meet briefly with their respective sides.  Then the lawyers along with the arbiter/judge would discuss options based on the facts presented and come to an agreement if unsettled between the two lawyers then settled by the arbiter. After the decision is made both attorneys can inform the respective parties (prosecutor to the PD and defense to the client) of the plea deal that was agreed upon. If the charged person agrees to the deal the PD can carry out the sentence.

(I'm new here made my character rp as a lawyer and everybody raves about how its needed because of how the current situation is heavily one sided.)

I heard an officer say "You have the right to an attorney, err you have the right to a public appointed attorney during questioning" lol... Seriously something needs to be implemented and it doesn't need scripting to start the RP... This is what we are all here for after all anyway right?

Edited by capfund

I would imagine people would want to provide their own attorney if they have one. Especially when they already think the system is corrupt they might not want to rely on an appointed lawyer...

Otherwise yeah that's a decent general flow of things... I might dispute that before a trial is required the prosecutor and the defense could potentially reach plea deals...

I just know based off my time RP'ing in arma and gta that limiting the legal system to requiring a specific "judge" doesn't work out (even if there are a couple). The best solution was implemented on an SA server I played on where there was a pool of attorneys that worked for the gov, when they were on duty they stayed at the jail/PD where ever suspects were brought for questioning. If they had their own defense attorney then they would be allowed to contact them but if they weren't available then they'd get a public defender. 

Then normal preceding's would take place in a time escalated manor typically resulting in plea deals. In the event there was circumstantial evidence and no plea could be reached then it would be heard by an arbiter (one of the other present gov attorney's) to make a ruling.

Another cool thing that server did gov attorneys were allowed to review evidence presented by the PD and issue search warrants of homes / vehicles.  There was  DA who would review the issued warrants and anything unjust would result in punishment for they issuer.