ThePro

[Guide] Racing / Fast Driving

Racing / Fast Driving

Why do people race?

Most people race because they need a dose of adrenaline, racing brings people together in competition, top pilots in Formula leagues get paid lots of money and that is a reason as well, illegally or legally, money is a big reason for some of those that drive fast or race. Professional drivers crave for speed as they try to challenge their times while competing with others, creating a competitive atmosphere which is also enjoying. Either getting introduced to racing by a parent or finding it by themselves, this is a big step to the character development of a general car guy/racer which will define his attitude and will power, so be as creative and open-minded as possible. 

The racing line

In racing the racing line is meant as the optimum/referred driving path in order to take a corner in the fastest manner possible without wasting speed.
The usual way to take a corner is to approach from the track in and enter the braking zone as you slow down, turning towards the apex, as you begin to stop turning you go towards the track out and start gaining your speed back as you accelerate (usually smoothly), in certain circumstances (and most) the braking zone is before the track.

There are three types of apexes:

Traditional Apex: Also mentioned as geometrical apex, perfect apex and so on, it is the general type of apex which is neutral and used to keep speed while taking a corner.

Early Apex: This one has a line which is designated to hit the apex by having a "direct" trajectory in order to take the inside of the corner quickly than another driver, even though this sacrifices a lot of cornering speed, it is a way to overtake someone by the inside as you maximize the speed when entering/exiting the corner from the straight(s).

Late Apex: As keeping the highest speed around a corner/track might not be the quickest way to a lap, it might be a decent way to carry power early, by taking the outside you maximize the acceleration you can carry as quick as possible onto the following straightaway of the corner (possibly also by deep braking/braking late); the amount of grip available will affect how many chances you have with braking and tracking/turning in late. Late Apexes are used for defending positions by keeping the track out at higher speeds than the attacker's.

Gt259WB.png

The effects of fast driving/racing without experience

As you'd drive fast for the first time, adrenaline will kick in, probably giving you Tachypsychia (also called "fight or flight") and Kalnienk vision (known as "tunnel vision") depending on circumstances:
Tachypsychia will be induced by high physical stress as you are affected by gravitational force depending on the friction and speed of the vehicle, quick accelerations and stops as blood flow changes in your eyes, it is also believed that high adrenaline levels trigger tunnel vision along with emotional thinking (which is why 
inexperienced drivers do by their instinct), as the gravitational force does its thing, you may experience an urge to urinate and acid refluxes if you have drunk or ate something (as an extreme example, this is why F1 drivers often urinate in their seats and they only get squirted a little amount of hydration fluid (which is not water) in their mouths every straight away).
Obviously, as you grip the steering wheel, blood will flow into your hands and they will become rough.
PS: Adrenaline does relieve pain from car crashes, but not permanently.

An officer’s worst enemy in a code three run or pursuit is an adrenaline overload. The speed, the sound of the siren blaring, and the desire for apprehension can cause an officer’s adrenaline level to soar. Once the huge adrenaline dump occurs, things can go from bad to worse. Tunnel vision and/or target fixation can set in. Fine and complex motor skills diminish, and short term memory (the creative/reasoning part of the brain) can be severely hindered, leaving an officer with nothing more than long term memory and primal, emotional instincts to operate with. 
The potential for an adrenaline overload during a pursuit is tremendous, particularly for younger, inexperienced officers. One study quoted on the Discovery Channel’s "High-Speed Pursuit" proclaimed that officers involved in extended pursuits have adrenaline levels that exceed those of soldiers engaged in combat.
I can confirm that study’s statement from personal experience. I had an extremely tough time trying to keep my adrenaline under check during pursuits during my early years on the job. My voice would go up several octaves, my radio communications would become unintelligible, tunnel vision would take over; and my reasoning and common sense would go right out the window. I think back now and thank God we had those under-powered 318 Grand Fury’s during the 80’s. Had we had the LS-1’s at that time, I probably would have died in one.

Written by: PursuitWatch.org

IC Experience and fear/confidence

Unexperienced drivers will have a reckless driving attitude depending on the character as they don't know their limits yet, most of them will not take into account technical things like tire wear and surface grip or wasting the engine's life as they drive by their instincts, while experienced ones will know their limits and regulate themselves on the tactical side, most of those don't know how their cars properly work and advanced terms, however, keep in mind that the web is a wonderful thing with lots of helping resources, the "roles" can be also swapped: an inexperienced driver might go lower than his normal limits while a confident experienced driver can push his limits at a stable pace, so this is not an excuse to pull off extremely stupid and NON-RP stunts for both sides.

• Like 1