LantiguaM

Manuel Lantigua

Manuel Lantigua

"Manuel bota la basura (Manuel throw out the garbage)" was the only thing I had to worry while living with my parents. They had Low income, so low paying jobs, while I was going to a public school. We didn't have a lot but they always made it to the end of the month.

Born and raised in Los Santos, with parents from the Caribbean: My mother from the Dominican Republic, and my father from Puerto Rico. I was basically that mix, learning slang from both cultures and two languages as well: English, and Spanish.

While in middle school and high school, I was never a confrontational person, so I tried to always avoid any type of conflict. This also meant that I was somewhat shy, evading being the center of attention, but also evading being a completely isolated person. I did make friends, just a few, that were some long-lasting friendships.

Motherland

At one point after turning 18 I decided to try my luck in my mother's country. Pushing my entrepreneurship desires to see if I could make a name for myself on that Island. Here's where I started to develop a love for cars thanks to a few friends that I made while hanging out. However, my desire to have my own business was looking bad. Unless I had some decent connections I would not be able to have a prosperous future in the Dominican Republic.

I did find a job at a Call Center, that thanks to my knowledge of fluent English, I was able to climb a little faster and became some kind of a Supervisor and that allowed me to make enough money to live a decent life in the Dominican Republic, and send some money to my parents.

The News

Another day that I was waking up to go to work. I was getting my lunch ready when I heard my phone ring:

*Looks at the phone number* 

- I know this area code, it is from Los Santos - I thought - but it isn't the number from my parents, I have those numbers saved.

*I picked up the call*

- Hello? 

+ Yes hello? Am I speaking with Manuel Lantigua?

- Who's asking? -

+ We are calling from the Los Santos Medical Center, this call is regarding your parents, Mrs. and Mr. Lantigua.

I started to feel strange, like something bad was about to happen.

- Yes, what happened to them?

+ Their car crashed near the Great Ocean Highway, they both died on impact.

After hearing the news, I had to quit my job and go back to Los Santos. I had to give them a proper burial. 

The New Beginning

Since I know I wouldn't have anything for certain, I decided to stay. I am going to make a name for myself here, even if it's the last thing that I try.

• Like 1