BigWill079

The Newlywed's Stafford

Look at this girl. She's aged like fine wine hasn't she? I remember back in 1955 when these started rolling off the lots and as you all know, Enus cars today are a luxury for the rich; the same applied back then however these weren't much of cars as they were status symbols but still, every time one rolled down the street I swear everyone would turn their heads. The ladies fawned over the owners and the guys envied them. As to how I got one? Well let me tell you...

It was August of 1955 and wedding bells were just around the corner. Me and Mary were to tie the knot on the 28th. My uncle was a rich man, but he wasn't someone you'd call wealthy, he just had a fat stack of cash he could play with however he desired. He arrives with the rest of my family for the service, and there wasn't one dry eye in the crowd and this included my best friend Clancy was choked up. Remember what the Herald said about him? He practically made the paper every week for yet another fight and made his name known in all the pubs in Boston. It's interesting what a pint of Guinness can do to a man but I digress,  

The reception begins and everyone is having a great time. Uncle proposes a toast to the new bride and groom. He later pulls me aside away from the party. "Everyone's gotten you great gifts but wait till' you see what I've got for you. Go outside Adam." I do what he says and he's following close behind. I open those banquet hall doors and what do I see?

A brand new 1955 Enus Stafford with all the bells and whistles.

He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a set of keys, tosses them to me. 

At the end of the night I lead Mary into the car and drive back home in my dream car. It's been 60 years and that old engine can still purr.

stafford.jpg

• Like 2