Osborn

Disallow the OOC recruitment of gang members

I just realized that most of the active gangs are recruiting OOCly on the forums or through their private discords. Why is this allowed?

(MG) Metagaming

Metagaming (MG) is the act of mixing out of character (OOC) and in-character (IC) information.

Most of if not all of them consists of an OOC application format.

I don't even know anymore, where's the RP? Why can't gangs handle their recruitment in an In Character matter like a gang or criminal organization would do in real life? People that try to get into a Street Gang prove their worth by hanging around the hood, doing errands like selling narcotics and handing the money to the big boys etcetera. I don't even know about mafias and other criminal organizations because you don't see them on a daily basis! But no way in hell would a criminal organization (street gang or not) recruit on a website.

Disallow it. Force gangs/illegal factions to approach their recruiting through IC means.

It's so demotivating to play at times when I notice things like this. I just want to see some form of a realistic environment, and when I get the feeling that the server is improving in terms of RP, I notice other things which just brings it back down in my eyes. PD has a very thorough recruitment process, all handled In Character. FD also has an In-Character recruitment process, same with all other legal factions. Why can't illegal factions also handle their recruitment through IC means, in their way? Obviously, a street gang wouldn't have HR etc etc. but you get the message.

ALSO PLEASE CONSIDER THIS: https://forum.eclipse-rp.net/threads/private-player-made-factions.3101/

AND THIS: https://forum.eclipse-rp.net/threads/add-fearrp.3077/

• Upvote 3

I agree with what you are saying that this is MG, but its useful to filter decent rper from those who are just here to be in a gang with guns and drugs and do some bang bang. We can have a slight aspect of their ooc personality and if they can develop a small background story for their character when they answer the application, some gangs still require their member to be met ICly and take some time just to Hang-around the gang before they can get in, the application is just a plus. I think discord is, like TS, just a way of keeping track of everything that is going on, like new rules or updates that require downloads to play on the server we can help each others out.

That said I think the application part, you are right is borderline MG(I'll say borderline because its not impossible with the "darkweb" even tho it is more then unlikely) and they could refrain gang from using those, but the discord is very usefull and I dont see how they could control that part.

I agree with what you are saying that this is MG, but its useful to filter decent rper from those who are just here to be in a gang with guns and drugs and do some bang bang. We can have a slight aspect of their ooc personality and if they can develop a small background story for their character when they answer the application, some gangs still require their member to be met ICly and take some time just to Hang-around the gang before they can get in, the application is just a plus. I think discord is, like TS, just a way of keeping track of everything that is going on, like new rules or updates that require downloads to play on the server we can help each others out.

That said I think the application part, you are right is borderline MG(I'll say borderline because its not impossible with the "darkweb" even tho it is more then unlikely) and they could refrain gang from using those, but the discord is very usefull and I dont see how they could control that part.

They could arrange stuff IC and then do the OOC interview or W/E to ensure that the player can RP. If they do the OOC part first and then arrange a meeting IG based on that, then that would be metagaming as well. If a person wants to become a part of a criminal organization, whether it's a street gang, a syndicate or a mafia, they should need to approach this in an IC and RP manner. If the leaders of said organization wants this person in, do their IC thing and then do their OOC "interview". And besides, if you let people actually RP with you (i.e. street gangs allowing people to hang around and prove their worth prior to becoming one of them) then they'd also be able to see their RP capabilities.

You wouldn't see a street gang on the darkweb, let alone, in school.

Hopefully, the suggestion of unofficial and official gang is gone through with.

To be honest I kind of enjoy the laid-back atmosphere on the server. I've come from servers where the only roleplay was heavy roleplay and you'd be one to two months later once you're finally initiated in a gang. If people want to run their gang like this, go for it. But don't try to hinder the people that are just on the server to have fun and not invest as much time in order to find people to RP with. That's just my opinion.