DeanThompson

Judicial System

I think we should have a simple judicial system for criminal and civil cases.

Criminal Justice:

Players cant be sent to jail by cops if a judge is online, instead they must be taken to court by the cop.

Pros: Gives players an extra avenue or roleplay, gives players a fair trial rather than cops being judge jury executioner.

Cons: Will take longer for cops to send someone to jail (which can be a good thing too)

Civil Justice:

Players can sue each other for damages. Judges can force payment of damages from one party to another.

Pros: Gives players some recourse against other players in a legal way.

Cons: Open to abuse by judges and therefore corrupt roleplay by judges will need to be prohibited.

• Upvote 3

This suggestion could be trialed prior to any scripting by creating a judicial faction and requiring cops to check if a judge is online before sending people to jail.

If a judge is online then the judge can hear the case and if determined guilty can give permission to the cop to send them to jail.

I would suggest committing development resources only if the judicial system is trialed with the current scrupt limitations and is successful

38 minutes ago, david fibonacci said:

And what if a judge isn't online? Then it's not really fair on the criminal.

bail. If you cant pay, jailed until welfare can pay for it. Possible "ankle brace" system for tracking. As soon as u and a judge are on at the same time, you report to the court or will be tracked down.

If you go to court, ur bail deposit is returned

Edited by Tomis13lack

6 hours ago, david fibonacci said:

And what if a judge isn't online? Then it's not really fair on the criminal.

Didnt say it was a perfect system but it is certainly better than what we have now. I guess we would have to ensure there are enough judges across all timezones.

Open to ideas though.

2 hours ago, david fibonacci said:

Seems like it's hugely unfair someone has to wait for a judge and someone doesn't because of time zones or just real life issues.

Someone doesnt have to wait for a judge to come online. If theres no judge they would be dealt with as they are now...cops just send them to jail. However if there is a judge online...then the cops MUST take the person to court.

Obviously if special circumstances exist i.e. the arrested player has to log off soon then the player could be arrested and sent to jail without trial like they are currently, but this just creates an extra opportunity to people to RP

23 hours ago, HighJack said:

A court system would be good, IF we have a good set of RP'ers in the Judiciary. 

I'll volunteer for it - I'd be happy to go into more detail and design how the judicial system would work IF this idea of having a judicial system is approved.

My idea would be if someone is arrested, they are jailed for a time determined by the rules. If there is no judge online, they start serving their sentence as time and a half while they are not officially convicted.

When the conviction happens, that time is deducted as time served which will incentivize speedy trials. In the case they were wrongly jailed, perhaps they can get a cash renumeration. 

+1 only if these judiciary positions are filled with people with actual knowledge of the justice system In Real Life. We've always been open to these things, but it's mainly been people with no experience wanting to judge and become lawyers defending their friends. It'd be a long process to implement though, we have no DOJ documents on the server.

We'd also need a courthouse interior mapped (not too difficult, I could map it now that I've got custom objects on Map Editor). 

10 minutes ago, FatherOsbornHD said:

+1 only if these judiciary positions are filled with people with actual knowledge of the justice system In Real Life. We've always been open to these things, but it's mainly been people with no experience wanting to judge and become lawyers defending their friends. It'd be a long process to implement though, we have no DOJ documents on the server.

We'd also need a courthouse interior mapped (not too difficult, I could map it now that I've got custom objects on Map Editor). 

Can be arranged - If approved in concept I can find the people with the knowledge to come to Eclipse. I have a bit of knowledge to knock up some basic documents to get the system started.

On 7/6/2018 at 2:23 PM, Austyn said:

I think that it would be a good idea, but we'd have to limit IC Corruption. It would be unfair if someone is arrested 6 times, but they're friends with the judge so they slide every time.

Well much like the PD has no OOC corruption rules the same would apply to the judicial system to maintain a healthy level of realism.