PickleBean17

Eclipse RP: It Kinda Sucks. Here's Why

Introduction
Before we begin, let me state that yes: this is all my opinion. Throughout the report I do give facts about the server but ultimately me not recommending it is just my opinion. Play it if you really want to. Anyway, it all started a few months back when I decided to join it because I wanted to try something new. RP seemed fun so I joined eclipse. I passed their little quiz and got in. Right away I noticed there were some different menu features and game mechanics, which were extremely difficult to figure out at first as there was no guide and since everybody I saw was "in character" nobody would just tell me how to do it. I eventually figured it out and it was all good. I played peacefully on the server for a few months, learning how to RP in situations. Most of those situations was me getting robbed, which I will rant about later on. I was able to get one of the faction jobs as a Mechanic on the forums. It payed me the best money I have earned on the server however it was a salary based on real hours, so it sucked. I soon quit that because the lowest rank mechanic's job was basically standing around doing nothing (they would never promote even the best of us). I then started my life of crime, I joined the "ballas" gang thinking I would make a fortune. Made 0 money as there were no set rules for group robbing and other projects. Stupid. I eventually got so bored of it so I just started trolling with a work bus which ended up getting me banned. Again, I am going to explain all of this in the next section, this is not a rage post because I got banned. I was bored of the server, and here's why.

Reason 1: Money

The way money works is absolute garbage in eclipse RP. It ruins the whole point of role play. When you first join the server, you start with a small base amount of $7000 and you get a slow income of $5000 from the "government". There are "freelance jobs" which are the basic minimum wage jobs that players can get without applying. Quite frankly, those jobs are more fun than the actual faction jobs. Other than that, without applying for a faction job (which all have very very strict applications, by the way), the only half decent way of making money is by making drugs. Making drugs is also very difficult, which I will explain later. It just seems like the overall goal is to make money. Which interferes with the RP aspect. Here's proof: During my time, myself and many others constantly got robbed by small gangs. Here's the thing: Eclipse's goal is to make the server as realistic as possible (which is why factions go by real hours of pay). In my opinion, the mass amount of robbers there are on the streets is very unrealistic. In the server, one of the rules is called "Fear RP" which basically means you have to fear for your life in situations (ex: You cant run straight into a gun). I honesty think for all of the robbers on the server, they would be too scared to rob somebody in real life, so that already brakes fear RP. That is why there are so many of them, and it just ruins the game for others because in the end, those robbers just want to make money and be rich as well. I mean heck, If you go the bank (A no crime zone that is basically the hub of the server), all people do there is flex their cars and look rich. Did I also mention that there are very few house properties for sale and they are all very inflated because people are so desperate? It destroys the whole point of RP in my opinion. Think of it this way: Eclipse RP is literally just regular GTAV Online with strict rules. Mind blown. It's so true. Regular GTAV online is literally just about making money. In other RP servers, it is not about money. in DOJ RP for example, you get to pick your role and your financial status, which eliminates the money making temptations for many players. This is how it should be for Eclipse.

Reason 2: The Roles

I have to give Eclipse RP some credit where it is due. They do a good job keeping certain things realistic like hiding drug locations on the real web, and their recipes. They also do a good job with the auction style car markets, where players can make investments and try to climb in money (again though, with the whole money thing). Eclipse has some good features to it, don't get me wrong. However, the roles are super off balanced. As i mentioned earlier, there are so many criminals on the street, which means there are so little police and paramedics. This is a big problem because one of the good things about the server is you can call 911 at any time in an emergency. But the bad thing is that the response time is so bad because they have very little online. Why? The applications and training process! It is garbage! I understand the realistic part, but why??? Here is a great example of this. When I applied to work at Los Santos Customs, the first step was to fill out this long ♥♥♥ application. I passed that. Then, you have to set up a real time interview with a manager. I did that, set my time, got online, the manager wasn't even there. I found him later and he told me to come back in 3 real hours. So I did. I finally got the job after almost a week of waiting. Then, I had to get trained to work on my own which was like an hour and a half. I did that. Huzzah I am now a mechanic. Not really. Remember when I said that they rarely ever promote people, even the ones that deserve it? Yeah. I was ranked "recruit" when I joined, along with possibly one hundred others. I instantly noticed that the complaint from others was that there were tons of recruits and little trainers or managers. There were also no towers. (A tower is a higher ranked mechanic that is allowed to tow). This was a huge problem because the main function of the mechanic was to tow vehicles. There was a crazy high demand. We would get tons of requests for tows and nobody could tow. An admin came multiple times asking us If anybody could tow and we were like "sorry man". I was really hoping I could just get insta-promoted by the admin. Didn't get that though. Basically, you get the point. There isn't enough workforce vs. criminals because everything is way too strict and hard to get into because they try to be too realistic. Just my opinion though.

Reason 3: The 'Realistic' Part'

This drives me nuts. This is some new info with also a lot of review and it also kind of sums up everything. I get it. It is cool that they want to make it realistic but I think it is too much. The fact that the only way to get good money would be making tons of drugs (which was difficult without being in a gang) or working countless real time hours as a faction member is ridiculous. Guys, it is a video game. Some people may have the time but I am not going to sit there as a mechanic or a police officer for tons of real hours a day like it is a real job. It is a video game. There are all of the RP rules to help try and enforce that but it is all kinda bogus. There is a rule called "powergaming" which basically bans anybody from using unrealistic RP actions such as *starts flying away from the robber and *Uses crazy reaction speed to catch bullet. I get that. It is a good rule but people abuse it a bunch. If I was getting robbed, they would basically make sure they would "win" the situation no matter what (also not the point of RP). Its hard, but its very possible to RP your way out of getting robbed without powergaming. But, if something doesn't go their way, they just claim "HES POWERGAMING!!! REPORT!!". Kinda bogus in my opinion. There are tons of other situations where this can happen. It is just all no fun in the end.

The Conclusion

Basically, here is why I got banned: I got bored. (one more time, not a rage post. I got banned a couple months before writing this. Don't get the wrong idea) I was literally driving a work bus around and crashing into gangs for the hell of it. I was so bored of the game. Because of everything I just explained, all you ever do on Eclipse RP is the same thing over and over. You do your way of getting money, maybe you get robbed, maybe you don't. It can be rewarding in the end but the issue is it takes too much real time to do and its all just a big competition for who makes the most money in the game which breaks the RP aspect. I am glad I don't play Eclipse RP anymore. Thanks for reading.

feel free to drop some comments, lets have a discussion! I know this is just for regular GTAV but I think RP on rage multiplayer servers and others are fair game too.

To Mods: Lock this if you want but please do not delete. It is a fair opinion and should be out there for people considering what RP server to play. Thanks.

(I originially posted this for regular GTA forums but I thought maybe there could be some changes for the greater good if Eclipse mods read this)

TO ECLIPSE MODS: please don't remove this right away or you are totally gonna look like the Chinese government. No matter how exposing it is, just let people read it. Maybe you guys can change the way money works some day. Up to you. It is all my opinion after a couple months of legit playing before I started messing around for fun.

Edited by PickleBean17
  • Like 3