Msato

Shooting whilst driving

To my knowledge it is a server side setting that we have disabled shooting whilst driving vehicles as it is unrealistic. This create the feeling of having your hands glued to the wheel/bars like you have just learned to drive. 

What I suggest is that we re-enable shooting from vehicles that are moving below a certain speed. The max speed that you "safely operate a vehicle" on this server is 130khh. Going with this I believe we should be able to aim/shoot from any vehicle moving under this speed. 

As for realism; coming from driving both cars and bikes, I can easily say it would be realistic to aim a gun and shoot, whilst moving at these speeds, and this occurs irl.

Obviously your accuracy would be a factor, perhaps as a counteraction to this reduced accuracy whilst driving could be scripted in, and then being unable to aim at any speed above 130kmh. Or on the other part, provide no crosshair when aiming and driving, unfortunately doing it this way provides potential for foul play. 

The fact that you cannot even aim a gun from a vehicle moving at relatively slow speeds amazes me. I also believe that this will be a way to help reduce the amount of senseless ramming "pitting" that occurs in the server. It is much more likely a car to be shot and disabled safely than it is for a 3 tonne cruiser to bang into its tailgate spinning it out at 200+.

Edited by CallumMontie
Made speed section bold and coloured since people are blind
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, kenichis said:

+1 except for bikes, they should only be allowed to shoot when under 70kmph as anything over that doesn't really make sense to take off your hands from the handlebars and aim at someone.

Have you been on a bike before?

Driving them one handed is very easy, especially as all gear changes are down to one hand/foot including braking. I'd argue that it's even easier to aim from a bike than a car. Less complications when driving and more room to manoeuvre/aim. 

Your normal motorway speed is 70mph (in the UK at least) which translates to 112kmh, at this speed you can consistently drive on handed so long as you don't have to turn etc. 

Edited by CallumMontie

1 minute ago, CallumMontie said:

Your normal motorway speed is 70mph (in the UK at least) which translates to 112kmh, at this speed you can consistently drive on handed so long as you don't have to turn etc. 

Exactly. When people start shooting while making tight corners at near 200kmph it will start to feel like NRP and that probably was one of the reasons why shooting as a driver was disabled.

I still feel that riding with one hand while maintaining high speeds and your focus shifted to a target actively going further away from you since you are moving forward wouldn't be realistic.

1 minute ago, kenichis said:

Exactly. When people start shooting while making tight corners at near 200kmph it will start to feel like NRP and that probably was one of the reasons why shooting as a driver was disabled.

I still feel that riding with one hand while maintaining high speeds and your focus shifted to a target actively going further away from you since you are moving forward wouldn't be realistic.

"cannot shoot above 130kmh" 

Obviously if you want to run the risk of aiming and turning you're more likely to crash, would be more of a skill issue not a script issue. 

• Like 1

I will say no to this. First of all it sounds too much like GTA online where you can just driveby anything in a 360 radius. While shooting ahead is doable at certain speeds, shooting sideways is difficult and shooting behind is likely never going to happen. Sure it can be scripted to only shoot forwards, but people would just do a 180, spray and pray at anything behind them, turn 180 again and yeet. That to me sound too much like a movie and not something that belong in a RP server.

I also fail to see how this brings "more RP". If anything, it provides less RP and just promotes more shooting, which is already very common on the server. I also doubt accuracy can be adjusted that well due to the game itself. IRL your bullets would go all over the place due to numerous factors, not in a straight line like it does in GTA. Then there's recoil, while a handgun would be easier, but still difficult to control, automatic weapons would be quite difficult. The final thing is reloading, which would again be very difficult and a longer process.

I feel like providing a good and accurate script for this would take a long time, with a lot of tuning, adjusting gun controls, recoil, bullet spray and vehicle control. It would feel too nonRP to me.

• Like 1

Abstain, not sure how I feel about this.

I could see it being a new element, but I fear that it can be abused and used as an excuse to get more vehicles in a chase/war instead of relying on your gang members/teammates to assist you. 

Right now if PD/SD want to try and take tires we have to coordinate a unit with two occupants to get up to the pursuit line and engage, I think this type of coordination is good and enhances RP. Adding the ability for drivers to shoot would only increase the amount of vehicles in a given situation as people will most likely stop relying on each other. 

I'm interested to see other arguments and then I will +1/-1

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kyle White Raven said:

I could see it being a new element, but I fear that it can be abused and used as an excuse to get more vehicles in a chase/war instead of relying on your gang members/teammates to assist you. 

Right now if PD/SD want to try and take tires we have to coordinate a unit with two occupants to get up to the pursuit line and engage, I think this type of coordination is good and enhances RP. Adding the ability for drivers to shoot would only increase the amount of vehicles in a given situation as people will most likely stop relying on each other. 

yeah but i mean its not very easy to drive and shoot at the same time, there is a good chance to get you crashed into a wall or something so i guess its kinda fair and it is being used on most of the fiveM servers without any big problem. i would still use a 4 door car and let the driver focus on driving other than counting him as a shooter but its something that should be discussed.

-Support

This is based on personal opinion. I think that one this will cause a mountain of issues for the staff to deal with and two majority of the time wont be all too realistic.

Edit: To elaborate so I'm not just stating "bad people will abuse it" I feel it would be highly unrealistic that someone doing 130 on a road while swerving around as you are probably in some sort of pursuit would be able to while driving with one hand have a gun in the other and expect what so ever to have any ounce of accuracy.

Edited by Sineye

1 hour ago, Kyle White Raven said:

Unless the chase is happening at less than 130 km/h, you would still need that communication and coordination.

Edited by alexalex303

16 minutes ago, alexalex303 said:

Unless the chase is happening at less than 130 km/h, you would still need that communication and coordination.

True, but my fear is that shooting while driving will become the norm, slowing down under the limit to shoot, engaging with cops when you stall since you can now aim from your driver seat and the same applies to civ on civ action. If people want to shoot from vehicles right now they need to have a passenger. These situations aren't too common, but when they do happen they are used in a way that enhances role play more than it harms. 

From an intuition point of view I don't see it working out, but I'm not opposed to a test phase where we try it out for a month or a few weeks and see how it goes. 

10 hours ago, DimaDan said:

Wait would be very hard in real life to shoot a pistol / uzzi while driving at max 70/Km ? 
I would like all US people to agree with him 😂😂😂

Yep a passenger usually takes the mission of shooting and if it's the driver he most of the time momentarily stops for the shooting then drives off.

53 minutes ago, Amaim said:

RP wise it's not normal, not easy at all and doesn't happen all the time like you said...it's very easy in GTA but would be very very very hard in real life.

You're wildin if you think it's any harder to shoot a gun than it is to reply to a text on your phone, which people do all the time with one hand whilst driving. 

Edited by CallumMontie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CallumMontie said:

You're wildin if you think it's harder to shoot a gun than it is to reply to a text on your phone, which people do all the time with one hand whilst driving. 

You have clearly never shot a gun out of a moving vehicle in real life.

Edit: Not to mention how disorienting it would be.

Edited by Sineye
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CallumMontie said:

You're wildin if you think it's harder to shoot a gun than it is to reply to a text on your phone, which people do all the time with one hand whilst driving. 

you absolutely would not be able to shoot a 50 caliber pistol accurately with one hand while driving and maintaining speed. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.