Msato

Remove the MDC player ID search

51 minutes ago, TheCactus said:

I wish. I would be 100% with you if you could write a portion of the name and the other 40-50% pops up.
It actually is disappointing to know that other cops just write the ID in the MDC while you try hard to find someones name.

^ This is false, if you type in IE: Hoxton_C you get Hoxton_Curry shown ... It only becomes a problem if IE you got Hoxton_Curry and Hoxton_Cury

PS: Had to DP since Quoting inside an edit is super buggy 

As someone in law enforcement factionwise, I’ve never seen anyone use this. We are taught to always get id and identify before using their name in the mdc. I like how the system is, don’t see it being a issue or abused. If someone is abusing it you could simply report. ID is just to shorten the interface after having the persons name. 

20 minutes ago, DrizzyDre said:

As someone in law enforcement factionwise, I’ve never seen anyone use this. We are taught to always get id and identify before using their name in the mdc. I like how the system is, don’t see it being a issue or abused. If someone is abusing it you could simply report. ID is just to shorten the interface after having the persons name. 

Sorry but to say you have never seen this happening it blatant ignorance.

Back from when I was PD, you were also a member at the same time and this happened a lot. Even if people are icly trained there are still going to be exceptions where people abuse it. 

As for reporting it, Im unsure if the mdc is even tracked in logs which would essentially make any report invalid due to no evidence if this is the case.

I may be wrong on the mdc not being tracked in logs and would like appreciate clarification on that. 

Edited by CallumMontie
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DrizzyDre said:

I think you're making a mistake here my man. There are many officers who abuse it, but as long as I am aware nobody would go around and publicly announce that they abused the MDC. Just because you have "never seen anyone use this", doesn't mean nobody has ever used it.

18 minutes ago, DrizzyDre said:

If it's "never" used this way, and it can be abused, why should the command exist? Just because it's easier isnt a good reason. It would be far more realistic to have to type out the full name (and know it to begin with).

I do not play a criminal, and have an unbiased view here....

This is clearly a powergaming mechanic, and should not be an option at all. Wether it is used, or rarely used etc...shouldnt matter. It can very easily be abused ( and there seems to be evidence it is being abused). 

Therefore it is my opinion...it should be removed. Laziness is not a good enough reason to keep it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CallumMontie said:

Sorry but to say you have never seen this happening it blatant ignorance.

Back from when I was PD, you were also a member at the same time and this happened a lot. Even if people are icly trained there are still going to be exceptions where people abuse it. 

As for reporting it, Im unsure if the mdc is even tracked in logs which would essentially make any report invalid due to no evidence if this is the case.

I may be wrong on the mdc not being tracked in logs and would like appreciate clarification on that. 

I’m from SD not PD , we don’t roll like that. (To add, I’m not throwing shade at PD, we work together on a daily basis. I was replying directly to being told I was in pd when I was never in pd. The “we” in we don’t roll like that was in regards to both factions.)  We always get the name/Identification from the person before we use the MDC for charges. And if the person is wearing a mask we take this off during the license withdrawal process. 

If a person is using the Mdc to get the name without any roleplay and via ID then yes I’d agree it’s metagame but this is the person, not the system. 

Edited by DrizzyDre

2 hours ago, CallumMontie said:

2. Promotes lazyness and lower RP quality - in no irl situation would an ID be assigned to a member of the general public. The player should be properly identified and the name typed in. 

I disagree with that; everyone has licenses which have numbers which police can enter as a way of direct identity (lots of people have the same names) and, whenever the cops type /cuff or anything like that we don't call them lazy for using ID's.

I do agree though, it makes it extremely easy for PD to metagame, so +1 from me! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, DrizzyDre said:

Thing with that is that it's hard to prove in a report, better to take away the enabler to the problem rather than wait for the problem to ensue (IN THIS CASE)

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Flucifial said:

Thing with that is that it's hard to prove in a report, better to take away the enabler to the problem rather than wait for the problem to ensue (IN THIS CASE)

I can agree with that, fairs. If it makes admin life easier it isn’t a issue for law enforcement

Edited by DrizzyDre

So. I believe it is is one of the Los Santos Police Department handbooks that outlines that you should be using the name of the person and not their in-game player ID. If, the person or persons, have given you their identification through /license - you may use their in-game player ID at that time as you would regardless receive the same outcome if that makes sense?

If you only have the person /alias and you see them committing a crime, it would be big times server rule breach to use your in-game Player ID to search your full, actual name because there is a chance that the /alias might be incorrect or you had a name change.

So. If somebody gets arrested. Your mask is taken after you have been placed in cuffs. Then you are searched for any items and lastly your ID is checked, with your full name on it. We put that name through MDC and you will just pop out there. If, at any point, the Officer just puts your ID and finds out your name, phone number or previous charges without you giving your ID to them using /license - that's big times meta.

This creates a very dangerous precedent, where we wish to remove something because some people abuse it.

Let's say that a certain faction over-uses BF400s and Hakuchou Drags, to an unrealistic amount, for no RP reason other than they're good to run from cops. Should we remove Hakuchous from the server? BF400s?

The argument that the MDC is IC, and as such you should enter an IC thing in the field is more compelling, and I'm inclined to agree. If I believe that person X is John Doe, I can just type in John Doe (or even John D), there is no need for me to have an OOC ID reference point.

+1

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, alexalex303 said:

This creates a very dangerous precedent, where we wish to remove something because some people abuse it.

Let's say that a certain faction over-uses BF400s and Hakuchou Drags, to an unrealistic amount, for no RP reason other than they're good to run from cops. Should we remove Hakuchous from the server? BF400s?

The argument that the MDC is IC, and as such you should enter an IC thing in the field is more compelling, and I'm inclined to agree. If I believe that person X is John Doe, I can just type in John Doe (or even John D), there is no need for me to have an OOC ID reference point.

+1

The difference is, the functionality is not being removed. Just requiring and forcing use of the functionality in a realistic way.

In your analogy, it would mean making it so drags and BF400s are not capable of such Non-RP feats. Which I think a lot of people would actually agree to. Removing the ability to abuse a system, especially one that is hard to prove, is what we are talking about. We are not asking to completely remove MDCs. (Just as no one has ever asked to completely remove drags, just make them behave more realistically).

Huge +1

As simple as it sounds, the MDC is IC, so only IC info should be given. 

Another huge issue with typing in the ID, is being unable to report the abuse of it. Anyone who’s committing crimes should RPly only be given charges if:

A: They aren’t wearing a mask and are identifiable by a law enforcement

B: Their license is taken from them by a law enforcement officer

C- Their prints are found at the scene of a crime on a murder weapon with the use of /LDO (still kind of meh, as IRL, it would’ve inconclusive without more proof)

Many criminals have probably experienced receiving charges inexplicably, I think removing the ability to search someone’s identity with the MDC using OOC measures is a huge improvement to the quality of the RP between Crims/PD.

ps... still waiting on the Judicial Faction!!!!

While in my time in LSPD I have never experienced anyone metagame using the MDC but I dont doubt that it happens and that really sucks for criminals. The system makes my life as a cop so much easier by having to not remember really obscure names once I find the persons name out IC through seeing their license. I see that a lot of people complaining about cops metagaming but they forget that a mask doesn't automatically hide your identity. For example I can identify quite a lot of Zetas when I interact with them just by clothes, vehicles and voice alone.

And I don't know why people are bashing cops RP for. LSPD has a very high standard for RP as an official faction just like every other official faction on this server and to slander our RP in every forum post about the LSPD does a great diservice to the people in the faction that try their best to promote good RP.

Edited by UrbanAwsomeman

Yep, +1 to that!

Gotta admit I do use the ID's often enough but only once I find out ICly who exactly they are. It is very abusable though so honestly this shouldn't be a thing.

To answer the people in this thread bashing PD, no I've never heard anyone ever refer to IDs as Social Security Numbers. Maybe it was a thing in the past but it's not a thing now.

Edited by SaltyPython
  • PogU 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.