Msato

Remove the MDC player ID search

Currently the Police MDC allows you to enter a player ID to pull up the record of said player with that ID.

E.g. Typing in ID21 would show my characters full name Bruce_Wong if that was my current ID. 

In my opinion this should be removed for the following reasons:

1. Directly promotes metagaming - this is an IC system and OOC ID's should not be used to gain information such as character names to then place charges. 

2. Promotes lazyness and lower RP quality - in no irl situation would an ID be assigned to a member of the general public. The player should be properly identified and the name typed in. 

I understand that this is a quality of life implementation but it is highly misused and often pushed to the side. 

To make it clear, players can already be identified by typing a portion of their name when they are online. Essentially meaning there's no requirement for the ID function. 

Cheers. 

Credit to @Hoxton_Curry

Edited by CallumMontie
  • Like 31
  • Upvote 8

7 minutes ago, Hoxton_Curry said:

I've been also told by some friends in PD that officers sometimes reefer to an ID as a "social number" (?) and mention the player's ID over radio but I don't know how true this is

Completely untrue, haven't been in PD for long but I've put in about 80 hours so far and haven't heard this once

• Upvote 1

+1 There have been multiple occasions I have been driving around and charges are made to my character which I am completely oblivious to. This get's abused way more than it should. Would be more down to co-operate if there was some actual RP taking place in these scenarios. Another idea on the ID number's, maybe player ID's could be classed as a Social Security Number etc. So officer's could still use this to search the database, however, they would still need to ask the player for their 'ID' in order to see their name & number. 

• PogU 1

16 minutes ago, Hoxton_Curry said:

Officer 1: "Wasn't that Jeffrey that just shot at us 5 minutes ago?"

Officer 2: "Not sure, he was masked, let me check"

Officer 2: "Yeah it was him"

Officer 1: "Yeah fuck that guy it was obvious it was him anyways, place those charges"

I have been charged with a mask numerous times, no matter what outfit I wore I would just get charged and I'm really sick of this, I must say it does not happen that often anymore but it still does and it simply shouldn't be a thing,

I've been also told by some friends in PD that officers sometimes reefer to an ID as a "social number" (?) and mention the player's ID over radio but I don't know how true this is

+1

It does promote metagaming but in real life an mdc shows all the names that are close to the one you searched. If someone has an unpronounceable name and I write it wrong the mdc would show no results. Everybody can metagame but it's their decision whether or not they want to stay true and enjoy the game.

I would suggest some modifications for the mdc so it can be improved before removing the ID search (I am sure that there's people that actually do it so I feel just like you right now).

Those PD friends lied to you about saying the ID on radio because we have a faction chat if we really need an ID for OOC reasons.

Edited by TheCactus
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hoxton_Curry said:

I don't know how true this is but I've been told you can type only a part of a name into the MDC and you will get the player you're looking for if they're online so there really shouldn't be an issue with removing the IDs from MDCs

but if it's still such an issue you should be search by ID only if the player is in range of 10 meters and is currently cuffed

I wish. I would be 100% with you if you could write a portion of the name and the other 40-50% pops up.
It actually is disappointing to know that other cops just write the ID in the MDC while you try hard to find someones name.

+1, let's remove it!

32 minutes ago, Hoxton_Curry said:

18 minutes ago, Freclan said:

Completely untrue, haven't been in PD for long but I've put in about 80 hours so far and haven't heard this once

It's rare but it does happen, at least it did when I was active on my PD character. Numerous times I heard PD members say something like "license ID 123" over the radio. It's worth mentioning though, each time I heard this it would be after their full name was already spoken. So it wasn't really MG, more an attempt to improve quality of life with some mixing!

As a PD member I am going to mention two things:

+ We have had situations where higher ups in the PD referred to the ID as the "license number" over the radio rather than just spelling the person's name out or even saying what it is (including sergeants and some above), which I always found to be ridiculous and thankfully there is now a protocol placed against it; however, I still believe that there are officers that do metagame and identify you using your ID.

- Sometimes it is much easier to type someone's ID in order to get their record up if you know them and can identify them ICly. For example, it is much easier to type the ID of someone named "Nikolas Papatriontukapoulus" (or something like that. This man actually exists and plays on the server and I encountered him yesterday) rather than typing his entire name out due to spelling mistakes and the time it takes. Furthermore, as others have already mentioned, in real life you would type someone's name ("Nikolas") and there would be suggestions and records of people who are called "Nikolas [whatever]" and you can choose to select the record you would like to look at and/or amend.

In conclusion, I am going to support this suggestion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

+1
i remember using ID's being something totally OOC and it could not be used to refer to a person at all.
there would not be a reason to keep the ID as it could be used to exchange information from ooc to ic. 

Edited by Femo
  • PogU 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.