Msato

State of Criminal RP

Back again with another Criminal suggestion, I'd appreciate if we looked at this from a neutral POV instead of having cops vs criminals arguing.

As everyone knows recently the max prison sentence length had been removed. Personally I don't mind the issue of this so long as charges etc are not places at random. The last week criminals have basically felt like we cannot RP due to the current attitudes of PD and others towards ANY criminals.

Here are the points I'd like to raise:

1. The reason this whole anti-criminal move was brought around is to deter the "Hands up" mentality, which I agree could be changed but this is not the way to go about it. Recently PD have been enforcing "Gang Suppression" searches and task forces. These basically include detectives/SWAT driving around the city, pulling over ANY suspected criminal and searching them on the basis that they look like they're from a gang. This is basically PD's version of "Hands up this is rob" - "Hands up, you're being searched as you look like a criminal" I ran into an occurrence. Yesterday alone PD searched 8 of my members without any probably cause, sending 6 to prison for long sentences. One of these was me but when they went to search me I asked to be checked on the MDC "No we don't need to check" - I was innocent with 0 charges, essentially a civilian as I wasn't committing any crime.

The issue with this: In my honest opinion, I see this as very poor RP. There's doing your job and then there's unrealistically targeting gangs. Detectives and SWAT would not roll around a city doing spot checks on everyone in a certain colour/clothes without identifying them. This ends up pushing criminals away from doing any RP knowing we will be searched at any random point and sent to prison for 4+ hours.

Solution: Realistic restriction should be placed on PD, currently they're running wild as nothing defines how they act (Gov Commissioners are rarely there to make inputs). Adding this would help control the wild targeting that is currently on going.

2. The risk for reward with criminal RP is highly out balanced. Currently criminals are very limited to the "Scripted" ways that they can make money/carry out illegal actions. 5 Drug Labs, 1 Chopshop are the only current "Script" options for criminal RP. As of recent PD have also been hitting 90% of the labs causing them to be down for 4+ hours each time, reducing the availability to often around 2 labs and 1 chopshop. This raises the issue of gangs struggling even more as chances are the 3 largest gangs in the city will take control of these, reducing it to 0 "Scripted" interactions for criminals. The recent few updates have unfortunately introduced nothing that improves criminal RP or quality of life and only things that hinder them. I understand that a lot of people don't like the current state of criminal RP but that doesn't mean that it should be ignored/punished in development. Perhaps it's time to stop focusing on one area of RP and improve all areas.

I feel like these key areas needed to be addressed. This is still a game at the end of the day and each end of RP shouldn't be targeted due to their preferences, resulting in ruining the enjoyment.

Here are a few posts in relation to this that provide other improvements and includes suggestions, thought it would be best to compile these. (These are only for further referencing, I don't agree with every point made.)

Again, lets keep this as a suggestion/discussion page.
I am tired of seeing suggestion forums turn into PDvsCrim arguments, learn to be unbiased and provide a constructive input.

Edited by CallumMontie
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

I agree that criminals need more activities.  The options right now are fairly limited in scope and engagement.  Watching progress bars and fiddling with inventory space isn't that fun, but maybe that's just me.

Maybe there could be scripted illegal street races that could show up in a few different locations, that would show up for official factions.  Y'all could get a notification like "an illegal street race is being organized at [location], and will start soon!"  The location could be available to anybody, so the spot could be shared IC for folks not in an official faction.  And then some of the lads show up and have a race which offers a payout.  That would give potential interactions with other gangs and of course PD.

The Triads being searched and such is an IC issue.

In my own, honest, humble, non aggressive, unbiased opinion:

1. I think that “stop and frisks” and spot checks against known gangs are long overdue (Especially when San Andreas is a police state). That being said, think about the amount of crime in Los Santos. These spot checks are not only rare, they add suspense to criminals when doing their business. I wouldn’t consider this new practice bad/low tier RP. 

Comparing to real life: if we had the amount of crime in a state as much as we have in San Andreas, national guard would set up roadblocks and checkpoints with even worse practices. Yes, this is a game, but just consider how easy it still is for gangs to roll around with heavy weapons, masks, and in big groups in ECRP.

Don't act like gang members just go to prison and then are forgotten by law enforcement. You would be watched for simply being part of a gang, not mentioning the past charges etc. This is literally an increase in RP quality if gangs and high profile criminals are being watched and there is something finally being done.

2. I don’t know much about the amount of money criminals make for the scripted activities. But from what you just said, it is good to hear that’s gangs have to compete for drug labs instead of living in peace and harmony while their only enemy is PD. Maaaaybe developers could add new ways for money making for criminals, but priority is better and More rewarding civilian RP in My book.

Edited by heartgg
  • Like 3

People are not being searched based on how they look or how they dress. People are being searched based on weeks of surveillance and criminal activity. Perhaps all those times you pointed guns at cops for the luls weren't a good idea? 

It is not bad roleplay in any way, it is the opposite, it is very good roleplay, backed by hours of paperwork, however it is bad from your point of view, because a good number of your members walk around saying "I'm with the triads". Actions have consequences, and this is another one of those consequences. 

https://www.policemag.com/340392/identifying-and-documenting-gang-members

In your fight to make this seem as bad as possible, you ommitted the fact that everyone that was arrested had illegals on him, one of them having an AK and human tissue, and I doubt that all 3 of the people arrested got more than 4 hours of prison put together. People that were clean were released on the spot. 

Perhaps you forgot to mention that if a certain number of drug labs get destroyed at once, they all get repaired. Therefore you will never lack a place to make drugs, nor chop cars. 

Edited by alexalex303
  • Like 2
  • PogU 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree with OP that there needs to be new additions for things for criminals to do. I stopped playing my criminal character because outside of the spontaneous RP scenarios I found myself often quite bored. I didn't enjoy chopping or making drugs as they didn't really involve any RP and if it did it was through me being robbed.

Stuff that could be added could be a script that allowed players to break into houses and steal items such as dvd players and TV's. (You would break into a house owned by a player but you would not actually be stealing from the player.) Then loading it in a truck and selling it at the docks. You could make the value of each item flucuate at random or based on volume of them being sold. I.E if one day loads of DVD players are sold they lose a lot of their value for a temporay amount of time. Not only would this system add scripted criminal RP it could add a really nice RP element such as someone loading up a van full of stolen goods and hiding it from the cops in warehouse until the prices are good. Or criminals buying stolen goods off other criminals to sell for a profit. Or the bigger gangs controlling the docks and taking a cut of everything.

Another thing that could be added that I have seen suggested before is turfs for gangs to fight over. While some people will see them as just an excuse for people to kill each other I think it would be overall really beneficial as it would give the criminals something to constantly do which means civilianRP can develop as they wont be constantly robbed by criminals patrolling the city looking for people or just camping the mines or foundry. And it allows gangs to actually own hoods and let rival gangs fight each other.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.