Jump to content

Make sure you join our Discord server https://discord.gg/7UhB9YT

JasonG

The quality of roleplay, powergaming, and the usage of /do

Recommended Posts

Some good points here but another good point I will add:

Everyone on this server is from countries all over the US. You guys cant EVER expect us to reach the level of quality roleplay we all on this thread want. I am a hardcore roleplayer and I have been roleplaying since 2009. If you dont /do Would I be able too? Or whatever you say then 9/10 you and the other person your roleplaying with will just sit there aimlessly as:

A) Hes waiting for you to perform another action.

B) The one who performed the action is waiting for the other person to respond.

 

Given the history of the roleplaying and how it truly works. If we just do the example of roleplay after roleplay without asking succession someone can get reported for Powergaming and actually win as its how roleplay is viewed and has been viewed since the beginning of time. 

 

Dont get me wrong, I am probably the biggest and #1 fan of roleplay being like you guys are saying, but realistically I dont see it happening.

Edited by ParkerTM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ParkerTM said:

Some good points here but another good point I will add:

Everyone on this server is from countries all over the US. You guys cant EVER expect us to reach the level of quality roleplay we all on this thread want. I am a hardcore roleplayer and I have been roleplaying since 2009. If you dont /do Would I be able too? Or whatever you say then 9/10 you and the other person your roleplaying with will just sit there aimlessly as:

A) Hes waiting for you to perform another action.

B) The one who performed the action is waiting for the other person to respond.

 

Given the history of the roleplaying and how it truly works. If we just do the example of roleplay after roleplay without asking succession someone can get reported for Powergaming and actually win as its how roleplay is viewed and has been viewed since the beginning of time. 

 

Dont get me wrong, I am probably the biggest and #1 fan of roleplay being like you guys are saying, but realistically I dont see it happening.

I disagree wholeheartedly with your claim that roleplaying in that way would make it hard for people not to powergame.

There are entire SAMP communities, some going on 10 years now that have been successfully enforcing that standard of roleplaying, in an international server just like ours.

I like to think that the vast majority of people do possess common sense, and, if playing in our community, have a decent grasp of the english language, as such, I find it very hard to believe that roleplay such as the following might be confusing:

/me extends his hand out and attempts to snatch the hat off the man's head

I find it very hard to believe that the person that is the target of the action would wait for me to perform another action, instead of responding. 

However, your post does wonderfully illustrate the hurdles of implementing such roleplaying here, as the few people that tried were constantly being accused of powergaming, just because the victims were unfamiliar with the roleplaying style, and preferred the much more simple /do success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Darnell said:

I disagree wholeheartedly with your claim that roleplaying in that way would make it hard for people not to powergame.

There are entire SAMP communities, some going on 10 years now that have been successfully enforcing that standard of roleplaying, in an international server just like ours.

I like to think that the vast majority of people do possess common sense, and, if playing in our community, have a decent grasp of the english language, as such, I find it very hard to believe that roleplay such as the following might be confusing:

/me extends his hand out and attempts to snatch the hat off the man's head

I find it very hard to believe that the person that is the target of the action would wait for me to perform another action, instead of responding. 

However, your post does wonderfully illustrate the hurdles of implementing such roleplaying here, as the few people that tried were constantly being accused of powergaming, just because the victims were unfamiliar with the roleplaying style, and preferred the much more simple /do success.

I wouldnt mind someone posting a suggestion on the powergaming rule be discussed among staff and then possibly tweaked. Obviously it would take some time as it is a big change based on what most people know Powergaming to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played SA:MP before and it was diffrent a bit, but if server and community preffer /me and /do than its what i will do and follow. But some people just dont do it at all.

For example, ID 55 RP could look something like:

/me attempts to check man infront for any items.

/do any resistance?                                                                                                   /do I am down on knees, my hands above my head. Showing no resistence at all.

/me Frisks his pockets, touching him all over the body with both hands.

/frisk ID

But it looked like this...

/me frisks the man

/frisk ID

Video of the event

 

On the end, it was better than doing something with none /me or /do's... 

Since all his previous /me or /do were just /me frisks the man I bellived he will do something like:

/do Did i found your wallet while searching?                                                      /do Yes, wallet is in my back pocket

/me reaches for the wallet from his back pocket.

/mug ID

SS of the event

What are your thoughts on this roleplay situation and how you preffer /me /do to be used for this case? All feedback is welcome 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2019 at 11:46 AM, ParkerTM said:

Some good points here but another good point I will add:

Everyone on this server is from countries all over the US. You guys cant EVER expect us to reach the level of quality roleplay we all on this thread want. I am a hardcore roleplayer and I have been roleplaying since 2009. If you dont /do Would I be able too? Or whatever you say then 9/10 you and the other person your roleplaying with will just sit there aimlessly as:

A) Hes waiting for you to perform another action.

B) The one who performed the action is waiting for the other person to respond.

 

Given the history of the roleplaying and how it truly works. If we just do the example of roleplay after roleplay without asking succession someone can get reported for Powergaming and actually win as its how roleplay is viewed and has been viewed since the beginning of time. 

 

Dont get me wrong, I am probably the biggest and #1 fan of roleplay being like you guys are saying, but realistically I dont see it happening.

Basically everything Darnell said. Just want to add one thing, Eclipse shows you when a player is typing. That way you know who is typing a response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Henry Goodman said:

I played SA:MP before and it was diffrent a bit, but if server and community preffer /me and /do than its what i will do and follow. But some people just dont do it at all.

For example, ID 55 RP could look something like:

/me attempts to check man infront for any items.

/do any resistance?                                                                                                   /do I am down on knees, my hands above my head. Showing no resistence at all.

/me Frisks his pockets, touching him all over the body with both hands.

/frisk ID

But it looked like this...

/me frisks the man

/frisk ID

Video of the event

 

On the end, it was better than doing something with none /me or /do's... 

Since all his previous /me or /do were just /me frisks the man I bellived he will do something like:

/do Did i found your wallet while searching?                                                      /do Yes, wallet is in my back pocket

/me reaches for the wallet from his back pocket.

/mug ID

SS of the event

What are your thoughts on this roleplay situation and how you preffer /me /do to be used for this case? All feedback is welcome 🙂

/do is OOC and should be in third person. Instead of using 'I's and 'Me' you should use 'He' and 'She'. So if you use /do in roleplay, make sure it is in the third person.

A lot of roleplayer's think /me and /do go together. Like one must always accompany the other. /me is an action while /do is a descriptive command.

Lets say theres a situation where Ryan is tied up and John is holding a gun to Ryan. Mark walks into the room.

When you walk into a room that has an active RP situation: /do What would Mark see?

John -> /me is holding a gun to Mark

Mark -> /me is tied up by a rope.

 

You can also use /do to describe objects and events.

/do The gun is sitting on the ledge, almost falling off.

/do The brick is yellow and cemented to the pavement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems so easy and basic, but people just stick with /me frisks man. RP with PD/MD is always up standard, taxi, doc also, but among criminals, especially new guys in town, its just terrible. 🙁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×