Paulius

Speed cameras

Speed cameras  

286 members have voted

1. 1. Should speed cameras be implemented?

This poll is closed to new votes

+1 Yes if implemented in a way that's friendly and not game breaking. PD is undermanned and can't enforce it against these crazy citizens. We have enough medical calls already about people driving crazy and injuring themselves.

Speeds are already reasonable.

• Eclipse Town 70 kph = 43.5 mph, Average US and UK speed in town is 30-35 mph
  • Eclipse Outer Town 110 kph = 68.4 mph, Average US and UK seems to be 50-60 mph
  • Eclipse Freeway 130 = 80.8 mph, Average US and UK is 70 mph

What about random areas that have traffic speed cameras built in, every time a ticket is sent, it activates a new zone. If a ticket isn't sent for 1 game hour, then it switches to a new zone. Could be one zone, could be 20 zones, but no one will know until they get a ticket.

Edited by Xoza

+1

Good little feature. Only issue is that if a persons car is stolen and a person deliberately racks up fines to grief the owner. Not too sure how we could get around that.

Would be cool if the server could actually take photos of speeders and have them accessible via the UCP.

Also an idea - Make it so speed cameras can be destroyed. That would bring about some cool roleplay for cops catching people out for vandalism

6 hours ago, Yputi said:

I do have to agree on this from one side. We try to be as realistic as possible COMPARED to IRL, but we don't/cannot have everything we have IRL. IRL, there are far more cars on teh road, so alot of traffic rules. Sadly, GTA got way less.
What I am saying is that Louie does have a slight point in my eyes. IF the speedcamera's should be added, it would make sense to have them into palces where safety is more important and wehre its more croweded (so, NCZ's).
(IMO) we don't always have to have things like IRL, it needs to be balanced and make sense like it does IRL. Imagine the amount of people you encounter in GTA on the highway now... If the highway was so empty IRL the speedlimit was probably set higher.

I still stick to my +1, but again... we need more details to give a proper opinion.

I think we all know that a GTA RP server will never get close to IRL as far as the RP standards are set lower than heavy, which is the case for Eclipse.
The problem here (seen from a very active paramedic's perspective) is that people die every single second from extreme Non RP Driving within LS boundaries. We had close to 200 players on yesterday which caused LSEMS to get 10 calls per minute. 9/10 calls where someone got rammed. We had a situation where we treated a player outside the hospital and a sportscar rammed us (even with the ambulance blocking off the road) while driving 200 km/h. If we catch them which we barely do the easy excuse is "/b I didn't see you" or "/b it was desync".

There is never a simple fix to Non RP standards. 50% are voting no to speed cameras because they feel like cameras are too complex to code or simply because they like driving extreme speeds in the city. I feel like the start of 2019 will be brilliant if players who do not care for their life nor others gets a lesson learned.

I agree that the cameras should be tested at NCZ roads during a stage of R&D. This will definitely help as a vast majority of all IC calls and OOC reports regarding a car crash is outside the bank and Pillbox Hill MD.

• Like 2

No . In my oppinion speed limits should be raised because 70 is way too slow based on the fact it's game and there is no other traffic besides people who actually play. .. Give people higher speed limits and get it lower/higher depending on the area of the town ... If you can implement AI cars , streets wouldn't be dead and people would have a reason to follow reasons , but when streets are open what's the point of going 70 if there is 20 people online and takes you 15 minutes to get from point A to point B? 

PS: If you invest this and someone steals your car ,you will get plenty of tickets for something you didn't do and then if you actually do it yourself you can just say it wasn't me ... It will just make even more mess and cause people to ignore police even more then they do now 

Edited by Gangula

Speed cameras would be more RP-ish, but also gameplay-wise would possibly (probably, imo) make ticketing and such way easier than it probably should be. At the very least, the fine should NOT be automatic, you should still need to be stopped. Otherwise people are losing out for what? Not getting caught IS it's own reward, an automatic system wouldn't do for that, what would be the point of even trying?

Sorry, but if I'm going to get forced to drive 70km/h in the city where there is no traffic then i am not joining the server until it gets removed honestly.
Most of the time when I am on the server I am just driving around the city looking for activities to do, but I am not going to waste my time with the 70km/h limit.

Edited by xCKube

7 hours ago, Gangula said:

No . In my oppinion speed limits should be raised because 70 is way too slow based on the fact it's game and there is no other traffic besides people who actually play. .. Give people higher speed limits and get it lower/higher depending on the area of the town ... If you can implement AI cars , streets wouldn't be dead and people would have a reason to follow reasons , but when streets are open what's the point of going 70 if there is 20 people online and takes you 15 minutes to get from point A to point B? 

PS: If you invest this and someone steals your car ,you will get plenty of tickets for something you didn't do and then if you actually do it yourself you can just say it wasn't me ... It will just make even more mess and cause people to ignore police even more then they do now 

Yes, and then people just mass kill the NPC's instead 😄 and make traffic chaos. Without the weather synced, i honestly dont think that AI traffic is anything NEAR in the future, maybe a year from now in RAGE:MP scripting, not server wise. i dont think there is yet to be a server on Rage:MP that has synced traffic, or ai traffic flowing throught the cities. can you imagine the Desync?

Yeah, I'm sorry but this isn't something I can put my support behind. It tips the scale from a server that is trying to be somewhat heavy role-play into a territory that just isn't fun. I agree that something has to be done about the high amounts of non-rp driving, but this ain't it. From my point of view I see this doing more damage to the server than bring about positive change.

Edited by Swifty

5 hours ago, 37hh said:

+1 for a handheld speed camera, from lspdfr or something, automatic hellllllllll noimage.thumb.png.c7b1e3701d0774f683683895915c1af5.png

This is something that kinda already is possible. In the past I've seen some PD officers creating some speed trap setups. Basically, a PD car with the equipment to read the speed of people. That officer was then placed RIGHT after a bridge so you couldnt see him/her and a few meter furthher there was a High Speed Unit from PD to pull the people speeding over.

• Upvote 1

Since this is going to pass, the only thing I can do is offer suggestions on how they can be properly implemented without being stupidly broken:

I don't think the player should be auto charged when the car exceeds 130 or 70 automatically, no matter where they are. That is severely broken and Passive Powergaming Via PD if players got automatically ticketed by their speedometer and not an actual speed camera. Even still... this brings up the issue of: "What if my car is stolen and the criminal speeds?" This could EASILY be abused by criminals by just constantly running through the speed cams in the stolen car, racking up AUTOMATED tickets for the other player, even though the player had NO control over that (Powergaming).

1. Place them at intersections around Government Buildings, and NCZs. (Bank, TeqLaLa, Gas Stations, Finance Buildings, Weazel, DCC, PD, MD. The Water station on the freeway North of the racetrack, ETC.) That way they would be Designated Speed Camera Spots and would send a notification to the PD if someone passed it going over 70/130kmh. 

2. The speed Cameras shouldn't automatically ticket people based on the car, (Per the reason above), but instead alert the PD. Kind of like the Store Alarms. That way PD could set up a Speed Trap, and correctly radar, and ticket players by doing a Two-Point Speed Trap: One cop Radars the Car, the other Cop(s) ahead setup a roadblock at a choke point to stop the vehicle and/or traffic, to correctly catch, ID, and ticket the speeding player. (aka actual tactics).

3. Make a Mobile Speed Camera that PD can Deploy on the side of the road, Just how they can deploy road blocks. Those speed cameras would radar the speed of the players passing, alert the Officer who placed it down, with the Make/Model and License Plate of the Vehicle, giving them the ability to set up down the road and get ready to sting the suspect.

4. Once the cameras detect the same make/model and license plate of a vehicle violating the speed multiple times(IE: 5 times), they would put out an automatic BOLO (ATL) on the vehicle with the number of times they have sped through a speeding camera (BUT NOT TICKETING THEM). A way to kinda of keep track of that via the MDC would be to have the vehicles themselves have a record on them, rather than it reading the players record. 

I don't think Automatic Ticketing Speed Cameras would be a good addition to the server, as it is Passive Powergaming, could be abused by criminals, doesn't create RP, and could have a negative response from the players (which bring life to the server). I think the suggestions above would be a more proper way of implementing the speed cameras, keeping the player base happy, AND creating RP (Which is why we are here in the first place).

EDIT: I also posted this in the suggestions: https://forum.eclipse-rp.net/topic/13690-speeding-camera-suggestion/

Edited by Nubbsauce

I think we need to look at this less in the way of "How do we implement this to avoid it being powergaming or metagaming" and more of "Let's just implement this to help cut down on the non-rp speeding through the city." Car theft is too much of a problem and is too easily done to properly implement it any other way.

Let's just have it work as simply as this; if you're speeding past a camera your character will get the ticket, regardless of what car you're driving or whether you're wearing a mask or not.

Honestly, anyone against having it implemented in that way is part of the problem and will be upset that they can't fly through the city streets anymore with little to no risk.

Edited by LiveTrash

On 1/1/2019 at 8:27 AM, ElisabethC said:

An exception for emergency vehicles would be nice. Priority at the hotspots for a trial period (e.g.the MD slope), and see how it goes from there.

there should be an exception for every vehicle. i don’t agree with this at all. just gives cadets, and the rest of the corrupt members of PD a chance to steal our money. plus it gives trolls a great chance to get most members of the city’s arrested for reckless driving.