Make sure you join our Discord server https://discord.gg/7UhB9YT

Resfiel420

Application system hinders player experience.

A server that demonstrates medium/low roleplay abilities shouldn't be application based, in my opinion.  We advertise to be a heavy roleplay server supposedly but the quality of roleplay and understanding of roleplay is not that good, I personally think that at least.  Eclipse is limiting their playerbase with this application system to filter out players yet... it doesn't work that well?  Why use time and resources into a system that isn't that productive?  Our playerbase suffers because of this system, Eclipse has a bright future ahead of them regardless.  The one downside I could possibly think of is requiring more moderators and issuing harsher punishments.

Before you leave your comment expressing your opinions, ask yourself this:

How many players can actually roleplay on Eclipse?  From the 5 months I've been playing, I've seen maybe 20-30?  Some inactive.

UPDATE; A tutorial system to introduce players into roleplay on Eclipse and short multiple choice questionnaire would be more productive.

Edited by Resfiel420
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't agree with you completely, but I do think the application system needs a rework, if only to relese some pressure that's currently on the staff team for doing them. 

While it is true that the general RP level in-game can be seen as lower than what the application prepares you for, the system in and of itself does have its place. 

Before, you could simply join the server after an easy 14-question quiz, bringing in a steady surge of players that don't know the slightest thing about RP, and how to act in certain situations. 

The applications are in place to ensure that everyone who passes it, knows the basic rules and is capable of speaking english at a decent enough level. It of course cannot force players to follow them, but allows staff to be more strict on reports, since they don't have an excuse to not be following the rules. 

All in all I think the applications have influenced the server positively, but has negatively increased pressure on the staff team. 

1 minute ago, BrockOlly said:

Before, you could simply join the server after an easy 14-question quiz, bringing in a steady surge of players that don't know the slightest thing about RP, and how to act in certain situations.

This was addressed in the topic.  I believe this is more beneficial for Eclipse than a hardcore roleplay examination with a waiting period. 

Oh about the waiting period, if people can't wait a couple days to get in, then they also won't have the patience for impounds, admin reports, 911 calls, mechanic calls and what not. 

Waiting a day or two is no big deal at all and it triggers me when people complain about it on discord 

I would have to agree with you that some of the questions are not worded the best and do require some studying of the rulebook to correctly answer the questions, however most questions are common knowledge and the examples in the rulebook pretty much line up with what the questions are asking.

I'd also like to add that applications now rarely take longer than 24 hours, the most i've seen since i've been a support member are ~300 minutes. 

Edited by Toby Vintage
  • Like 1

If they wanted to actually have a solid player base they would remove the application. It is pointless and useless, All the questions are simple and really don't prove anything. Even if someone new joined the server without any roleplay experience they should have a chance to learn and grow into a good roleplayer. You never will expand your playerbase by not allowing new people to roleplay to come and learn. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There should be a test to get into the server but in my opinion it needs to be easier, i got 3 of my friends who played SAMP with me in the past who speak perfect english and are over the age of 20 but could not make it past the server application test for some reason and never bothered to this day to apply or join the server. The reason why they failed i think is because of how this server treats the MetaGame rule, it's not the normal meta game rule from other RP servers. The application for the server is a pain in the ass on top of how hard it is to get started off in the first place once you're in grinding for money lmaooo, it's also not even the fact that it's a pain in the ass to join the server once people are in the server it's very grindy for them to get money and if they do something illegal they get sent to jail for 2 hours. i think that is point where most people don't even bother coming back.

Edited by gohena

I think the application is a great way to ensure that players have read the rules and have a basic understanding of the English language.

That being said, I also agree that it seems counter-productive to have such high standards for a entry-level test, when the server doesn't even live up to it owns standards.

If you want to call the server medium/high rp, then you need to make sure that those standards are meet daily and in the average experience.

When I joined the server, I experienced roughly 4 out of 5 encounters to be players trying to rob me.
To roleplay, you need to get to know a group of people, be lucky, or be at specefic locations, which doesn't imply that it's a medium to heavy roleplay server, but a low roleplay server instead.

I dont think that we should remove the test completely, but I see two options.

A) Acknowledge that in the server current form, the roleplay level is Low to Medium, and we should therefore make the entry-level quiz easier.
or
B) Raise the roleplay standard to reach Medium to High level of roleplay by enforcing it with new rules/stricter punishments for breaking the rules, and keep the current entry-level quiz.

• Upvote 1

I have my opinions on some points you've brought up, and I totally agree that the roleplay quality Eclipse Roleplay provides has gone down within the last year. More players are focused on finding rule breakers, or just causing disruptions or frustration for other players. Now before I am ridiculed for saying this, I just want to say that me saying that is coming from facts, not only based on our player reports that have been created over the year, but also punishments or community removals that have occured. It's no secret, that we have some bad apples on the server, but there will always be bad apples, as some people are better at hiding it. 

There are genuinely good roleplayers and players with good intentions within our community, but we also have those who just completely lack respect, not only for players within our community, but just for other players as people in general. 

We do not advertise to be a Heavy Roleplay Server, we advertise to be a Heavy Voice Roleplay Server, and those are two very different things. We'd like for the roleplay quality to increase, which is our reasoning for having an application for new players. I personally believe there needs to be a lot more rules, but I also think that players need to focus more on having fun and realistic roleplay scenarios rather than doing everything by the book, or just hunting for rule breakers to report them on the forums. I also believe that our application needs to be a lot more open ended rather than automatically multiple choice, and the thing hindering that is our lack of active staff members at the moment. Right now, we have been pretty good with reviewing our applications in at least the 72 hours we advertise. 

Our goal, is not to have poor roleplay, or for everything to be handled by scripts or rules. We are aiming for a higher roleplay quality and we'd like for our players to have more good experiences than bad. It's no secret, that on a daily basis, players tend to have a more frustrating experience rather than a fun one. Part of this, is that some players lack the ability to differentiate OOC and IC. It's hard to do this, I'm guilty of this sometimes, but I'm trying to improve, and I hope that other players can learn to do so as well. Another issue, is players going into an OOC chat every time their character loses in a situation, but you have to remember, that you and your character, should be different. You shouldn't let your characters bad experiences make you angry OOCly. 

Our application system does need work, but I think abolishing the system all together will just bring more poor experiences for our newer players, and our experienced players who are really searching for a good experience. 

If anyone has any ideas on how we can improve our application system, I'm sure our staff team would love to discuss a suggestion thread with some ideas on how we can improve, however, I doubt anyone on the staff team would agree with removing the application system all together. 

• Like 1