Chris Strange

New stranger ID if you change your name

+1, don't understand what work would be harder by it, it's likely one of the most simple thing you could add. 

My only issue would be someone changing their name just so their Stranger ID would change if you get reported on the forums because Stranger ID's are what we use to look up player's OOC records for unknown character names. 

5 hours ago, Flucifial said:

+1, don't understand what work would be harder by it, it's likely one of the most simple thing you could add. 

My only issue would be someone changing their name just so their Stranger ID would change if you get reported on the forums because Stranger ID's are what we use to look up player's OOC records for unknown character names. 

That's exactly for me. Especially for support, I can barely find people through their Stranger ID's right now, will be even harder if the Stranger ID's will change.

7 minutes ago, TommyV said:

I feel like this could be abused by players who are avoiding forum reports.

I think a more viable alternative would be; after a name change, maybe wipe other players memory of your name, keep your ID the same.

Still could be abused, it's a difficult topic.

On the UCP it could show that the player changed his stranger Id from x to x.

5 hours ago, DeanThompson said:

A change of name is not a change of character - All your old acquaintances will still know you as your former name until you tell them your new name.

Yeah but let's say you wanna change name and appereance so that they don't recognize you, they will still have you aliased and they might be act biased towards you

And also what about when you do a CK? Isn't that a change of character?

Edited by Arvark

wipe your aliases from other players if you change appearance, not the name. stranger id stays the same and if they refer to you as your old name you know they metagame, changing name should further multiply the disappearing act if they frisk you. that wat they they have nothing on you that could remind them of your past self. also weazel news should have a division that reports CKs, deaths of people in some newsletter or sth.

also this should be done by a shady government organization on a certain day in a certain place, cuz this is should stay of record and should be paid for in ingame currency. information could be spread by the medics, these poor bastards need activities when the server is low pop and overall this server should dabble in a lil bit of IC corruption.

Edited by edawn
clearing unclear stuff. adding some notes and suggestions

4 hours ago, Arvark said:

Yeah but let's say you wanna change name and appereance so that they don't recognize you, they will still have you aliased and they might be act biased towards you

And also what about when you do a CK? Isn't that a change of character?

Changing your name & appearance is not a change of character though.

If there is a CK or change of character then yes but this isn't something that has been officially supported by the server. For this particular suggestion I still give it a thumbs down, however I'd support a system to CK.

1 hour ago, DeanThompson said:

Changing your name & appearance is not a change of character though.

If there is a CK or change of character then yes but this isn't something that has been officially supported by the server. For this particular suggestion I still give it a thumbs down, however I'd support a system to CK.

IRL if your name is Mark and you change name and appereance people that knew you shouldn't recognize ya

-1. Seem unnecessary. If you want to change your ID, make a new character.

Not many/any posts identify what problem this is solving. Only thing I can think of immediately is when you change your name, you want others to know your new name but I don't think this supports roleplay very well. If you told someone you're called Dave IRL, they'd call you Dave even if you changed your name a day later. It would be down to you to let them know that you changed your name.

3 hours ago, Pistol Pete said:

-1. Seem unnecessary. If you want to change your ID, make a new character.

Not many/any posts identify what problem this is solving. Only thing I can think of immediately is when you change your name, you want others to know your new name but I don't think this supports roleplay very well. If you told someone you're called Dave IRL, they'd call you Dave even if you changed your name a day later. It would be down to you to let them know that you changed your name.

Again, for CKs